The Kamado Joe II

Those 55 gal drum smokers are cool. As for seasoning, my rib eyes are salt only. Brisket, I toy with the dry rubs. I'll have to try the minimalist Texan approach.

Ditch the drum pit. They dont hold heat as they're too thin.
A 15 lb brisket will take at a minimum 15 hours. I've had some take over 24 hours. BBQ isnt done until it's done,or it jiggles like jello and the temp probe goes in like it's hot butter,time has nothing to do with it.
The internal temp needs to reach at least 195. But again,the temp means nothing as all briskets are different.
It's all about feel.
The best indicator is how easy the temp probe penetrates. It should go in with pretty much zero resistance.
I'm Beleiver in the pull test with Brisket. Got an old brinkman smoker, which limits weight.
The drum looks good for hooking ribs.

I agree the pull test is a good way to find out if ya got it right...unfortunately you have to pull the brisket,unwrap it and cut it to find out if you got it right.
At that point if you fucked up it's too late to put it back on the pit.
The best way is to test the jiggle and the probe test.

Those 55 gal drum smokers are cool. As for seasoning, my rib eyes are salt only. Brisket, I toy with the dry rubs. I'll have to try the minimalist Texan approach.

A 15 lb brisket will take at a minimum 15 hours. I've had some take over 24 hours. BBQ isnt done until it's done,or it jiggles like jello and the temp probe goes in like it's hot butter,time has nothing to do with it.
The internal temp needs to reach at least 195. But again,the temp means nothing as all briskets are different.
It's all about feel.
The best indicator is how easy the temp probe penetrates. It should go in with pretty much zero resistance.
I'm Beleiver in the pull test with Brisket. Got an old brinkman smoker, which limits weight.

I agree the pull test is a good way to find out if ya got it right...unfortunately you have to pull the brisket,unwrap it and cut it to find out if you got it right.
I poke, if she be giving in easy it's raw.

It's all about feel.

Ya dont know how to tell temp?

Why don't you people make yer own like I do fer meself and customers?

Make your own what?
Smoker or a brick oven those have been getting popular. I have to build one in April. Not the poster April the month...

LoL....you couldnt make a comp pit if your life depended on it.
I built a smokehouse for my meat to hang in....I've built masonry and metal smokers, bar-q's pits for around twenty five years...Around here we used to pit roast a whole pige, minus the guts of course. But that is not so popular no more..neither is the keg of beer we had to go with it...

It's all about feel.

Not internally I usually time mine...I like mine well done but not crunchy. Of course you know they have hand held temp scanners, you point and click and see the temp..

Make your own what?
Smoker or a brick oven those have been getting popular. I have to build one in April. Not the poster April the month...

I built a smokehouse for my meat to hang in....I've built masonry and metal smokers, bar-q's pits for around twenty five years...Around here we used to pit roast a whole pige, minus the guts of course. But that is not so popular no more..neither is the keg of beer we had to go with it...

Lets see your design.
A smoke house is easy. Show me a pit you designed that burns efficiently and evenly.

Make your own what?

Lets see your design.
A smoke house is easy. Show me a pit you designed that burns efficiently and evenly.
I have to walk outside in the dark, rain and take a picture, really?

It's all about feel.

Not internally I usually time mine...I like mine well done but not crunchy. Of course you know they have hand held temp scanners, you point and click and see the temp..

Dude you're full of shit!!!!
If you cant tell the internal temp of the meat you know nothing.
I have this to say......if ya want crappy BBQ that is likely to make ya sick?
Listen to bare ass Bart.

Make your own what?

Lets see your design.
I have to walk outside in the dark, rain and take a picture, really?

Nah...I can wait till morning.

Listen to bare ass Bart.
I've worked in restaurants and we used timers for ribs, prime rib if you have been cooking like I have since you were a teen and you are now 57 you learn through time, just like the old timers did it..

I don't have a KJ but I do have an XL Big Green Egg.

The komodo ceramic smokers are great.

The best BBQ comes from an open pit but very few people know how to do it right. It is also a lot of trouble.

The next best is the offset firebox smokers if you burn wood in it. However, it takes a lot of tending to keep it going. Most people don't have the time to do it right.

Third comes the komodo type smokers like the KJ and the BGE. They do great with minimal tending. To me the perfect trade off between flavor and effort.

The easiest to use are the pellet smokers but you never get the dept of smoke flavor.

Electric smokers are even more easy but not real BBQ.

Kettle grills can work as a smoker and actually do a good job if you know what you are doing.

I have a good Weber Genesis gas grill but hardly ever use it. Maybe for hot dogs or maybe to put a quick char on ribs after they have been smoked.

I use my four burner Camp Chef griddle much more than I use the gas grill.

In the 1970's we had a water smoker that was bullet shaped...Made the inside a pink and the outside black..

WOW!!!!
Holy Gee you just explained smoked chicken from the last thousand years!!!!
Or maybe the smoke ring on beef from the same time frame!!!!

Dude....just STFU about what you know nothing about.

Listen to bare ass Bart.
I've worked in restaurants and we used timers for ribs, prime rib if you have been cooking like I have since you were a teen and you are now 57 you learn through time, just like the old timers did it..

In an oven......
I've been BBQing for 33 years,4 of those in competition,take your dish washing experience elsewhere.

Forum List

Back