The Justice Department Blocked AT&T from Gobbling up T-Mobile

:clap2: Fucking Awesome. Someone has to stop At&T and their wanted monopoly.

T-Mobile users rejoice at Justice Dept. blocking AT&T merger - CNN.com

But in the Justice Department's eyes -- and anecdotally those of T-Mobile's customer base as well -- the costs of the merger may outweigh the benefits. "The combination of AT&T and T-Mobile would result in tens of millions of consumers all across the United States facing higher prices, fewer choices and lower quality products for mobile wireless services," said deputy attorney general James M. Cole in the Justice filing.

Monopoly? Puhleeze. As I understand it, T-Mobile is the #4 wireless provider, and AT&T is #2. For those of us who can count, that means there's a #1 and a #3, at least. Hardly a monopoly, and hardly likely to allow a merged company to start hiking prices and blowing off the need for technological advances.

And that's completely leaving aside the fact that there's no way to HAVE a monopoly in a market like the US without government intervention. :eusa_hand:

First of all, it's quite easy to have a monopoly in certain industries without government intervention. They're not called natural monopolies for their nice green color.

Second, it's The Sherman Anti-Trust act, not the Sherman Anti-Monopoly act. A business doesn't have to be a monopoly to run afoul of the law.

Does the federal government have the Constitutional authority to intercede on behalf of Sprint?

“Sprint urges the United States government to block this anti-competitive acquisition,” said Vonya McCann, Sprint’s senior vice president for government affairs. “This transaction will harm consumers and harm competition at a time when this country can least afford it.”

Shares in Sprint have fallen more than 5.5 percent since AT&T announced its deal last week, trading at $4.77 late on Monday afternoon.

Sprint Formally Denounces AT&T's Deal for T-Mobile - NYTimes.com

Rhetorical question. I know the Constitution (1787) was abolished.

AT&T has one of the worst customer service rating in US, where as T-Mobile has one of the best. As a T-Mobile customer, I want T-Moble to be T-Mobile.
Also, in a capitalistic economy, competition is good and favors the consumer.

T-Mobile is struggling, at& t has committed to adding 5000 jobs and investing 4 billion in infrastructure to bring them both up to parity and snuff.

You do know that T Mobile is owned by Deutsche Telekom right? And that they have stopped spending for the last 2 years in capital expenditures for T Mobile and keep it competitive? They gave up on it.

But in the Justice Department's eyes -- and anecdotally those of T-Mobile's customer base as well -- the costs of the merger may outweigh the benefits. "The combination of AT&T and T-Mobile would result in tens of millions of consumers all across the United States facing higher prices, fewer choices and lower quality products for mobile wireless services," said deputy attorney general James M. Cole in the Justice filing.

T-Mobile cant afford to keep up with the 4th generation of wireless technology. So the merger makes perfect sense if you want to save the jobs as T-Mobile has admitted they cant afford the upgrade to their system. And that means T-Mobile will be put out of business by the competition which is no different than being taken over by ATT except for the fact that ALL the jobs will be gone. ATT even promised to keep all the customer service jobs here in the US and even bring back any that are overseas.

Dumb move in our current economy if you ask me.

If only the government would provide the phone service, free for everyone. Why it would be a worker's paradise!

Monopoly? Puhleeze. As I understand it, T-Mobile is the #4 wireless provider, and AT&T is #2. For those of us who can count, that means there's a #1 and a #3, at least. Hardly a monopoly, and hardly likely to allow a merged company to start hiking prices and blowing off the need for technological advances.

And that's completely leaving aside the fact that there's no way to HAVE a monopoly in a market like the US without government intervention. :eusa_hand:

you always this stupid?
Yes, she is.

T-Moblie provides better reception and better customer service than ATT.

Last edited:
Ohh I figure the aquisition will happen. I refuse to call it a merger.
This is just uping the ante to get some concessions.

bigger is better in America, remember?
And ATT contributes to both parties.

:clap2: Don't mess with my T-Mobile. :hellno:

I use T-Mobile and had to call Customer Service last night. They routed me to a call centere in the Philippines, (I could tell because the girl had a distinct Visayan accent. Don't ask how I know what a Visayan accent sounds like.)

So, really, what's the difference between what soulless corporations is running your phone. As long as I get my call to go through, I'm fine with it.

T-Mobile cant afford to keep up with the 4th generation of wireless technology. So the merger makes perfect sense if you want to save the jobs as T-Mobile has admitted they cant afford the upgrade to their system. And that means T-Mobile will be put out of business by the competition which is no different than being taken over by ATT except for the fact that ALL the jobs will be gone. ATT even promised to keep all the customer service jobs here in the US and even bring back any that are overseas.

Well, that's good. (See my previous post about the Filipina Customer Service Babe).

I work for a company that is in the wireless industry, and yes, this is a good move for T-Mobile. It isn't a hostile takeover, both sides want it. And T-Mobile customers will benefit from gettin access to all AT&T's resources...

Well, that's good. (See my previous post about the Filipina Customer Service Babe).

I work for a company that is in the wireless industry, and yes, this is a good move for T-Mobile. It isn't a hostile takeover, both sides want it. And T-Mobile customers will benefit from gettin access to all AT&T's resources...

I agree and my opinion isnt partisan based. The govt said they were concerned about costs going up. I just dont see that happening. I ditched ATT for Sprint for cost savings last year and low and behold now ATT is advertising a lower price now for an everything +unlimited data plan. Competition should keep the prices in check. Not to mention here in KC their are a lot of MOM N POP style opperations offering very cheap services.

AT&T has one of the worst customer service rating in US, where as T-Mobile has one of the best. As a T-Mobile customer, I want T-Moble to be T-Mobile.

T-Mobile is struggling, at& t has committed to adding 5000 jobs and investing 4 billion in infrastructure to bring them both up to parity and snuff.

You do know that T Mobile is owned by Deutsche Telekom right? And that they have stopped spending for the last 2 years in capital expenditures for T Mobile and keep it competitive? They gave up on it.

Ervery aquisition I have observed or been involved in has resulted in fewer overall employees as opposed to more employes.
And if you think that ATT will rush to upgrade T-Mobile's infrastructure guess again.

Ervery aquisition I have observed or been involved in has resulted in fewer overall employees as opposed to more employes.
And if you think that ATT will rush to upgrade T-Mobile's infrastructure guess again.

As opposed to just letting the company go belly up and everyone loses their jobs :cuckoo:

Are you suggesting inefficiency is a good thing? If the new entity can operate with fewer employees and still remain competitive, it's the consumer that benefits.

you always this stupid?

pretty much

she's usually much bitchier though, so that's a plus

Are you suggesting inefficiency is a good thing? If the new entity can operate with fewer employees and still remain competitive, it's the consumer that benefits.

Not necessarially since we live in a consumer spending based economy. Fewer jobs means less consumer spending.
that 9.1 % unemployment sure has the economy roaring along at an estimated 1.7% GDP growth for this year and projections are for about the same for the next 2 years.

I'm actually disappointed. I wondered if merging one crappy service provider with another crappy service provider would result in a doubly-crappy service provider. Now we may never know. :dunno:

that might be the case if they all didnt piggy back off each other.

maybe you need to read their website:
Unsupported Browser
their "system" already runs 4g

They all piggy back off of each other. Or did you think coast to coast coverage was magical? And 4G isnt the technology in question its the new crap being run through test phases

The sheer logic failure in this thread is as astounding as the lefts sudden willingness to lose jobs just to spite ATT. Very telling...........

Last edited:

Forum List

Back