The Justice Act: Democrats slammed the door in a black man's face, and ultimately betrayed one of their key constituencies

What about the GOP Justice Act introduced by Tim Scott is insufficient? Can anyone tell me? What doesn't appeal to a Democrat more than a black man leading on an issue like this? Is it because the said black man is a Republican?

If another black man dies at the hands of a corrupt police officer, what explanation will Democrats give for not allowing debate on a bill that would have done something to solve this issue? How will they explain to the American people why they didn't act? Why did they offer resistance instead of cooperation?

Do some Democrats prefer bathing in the blood of innocent lives lost to perpetuate an easily solved problem? Were they not the ones who, two days ago, implied that if Republicans don't put forth a solution to this problem, they have blood on their hands? Now that they have, how did Democrats respond?

THEY SLAMMED THE DOOR IN A BLACK MAN'S FACE.

I will never vote for a Democrat in federal elections again. They have proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that they are not interested in solving what ails our society, and are all the more interested in entrenching themselves in the problem instead. I am beyond disgusted. The congressional Democrats are no different than the Southern Democrats of old, fighting to preserve segregation and racist practices instead of working with their fellow Americans to rid our country of a toxic scourge. Working to preserve the problem of racism instead of solving it.

Spare me the tired refrain that you, a Democrat, will fight for minority rights, that you will stand for people of color, or that you will enact social justice.

No, you won't.

You were offered a chance to lead on an issue you so frequently champion, by a black man no less, but you slammed the door in his face.
But, lemme guess----Tim Scott is a....

...wait for it.....

....white supremacist.
:laughing0301:

Tim Scott is Clayton Bigsby, right commies?

Only Democrats can save black folks, right Bolshevists? A black guy can't help black folks, right commies?

What about the GOP Justice Act introduced by Tim Scott is insufficient? Can anyone tell me? What doesn't appeal to a Democrat more than a black man leading on an issue like this? Is it because the said black man is a Republican?

If another black man dies at the hands of a corrupt police officer, what explanation will Democrats give for not allowing debate on a bill that would have done something to solve this issue? How will they explain to the American people why they didn't act? Why did they offer resistance instead of cooperation?

Do some Democrats prefer bathing in the blood of innocent lives lost to perpetuate an easily solved problem? Were they not the ones who, two days ago, implied that if Republicans don't put forth a solution to this problem, they have blood on their hands? Now that they have, how did Democrats respond?

I will never vote for a Democrat in federal elections again. They have proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that they are not interested in solving what ails our society, and are all the more interested in entrenching themselves in the problem instead. I am beyond disgusted. The congressional Democrats are no different than the Southern Democrats of old, fighting to preserve segregation and racist practices instead of working with their fellow Americans to rid our country of a toxic scourge. Working to preserve the problem of racism instead of solving it.

Spare me the tired refrain that you, a Democrat, will fight for minority rights, that you will stand for people of color, or that you will enact social justice.

No, you won't.

You were offered a chance to lead on an issue you so frequently champion, by a black man no less, but you slammed the door in his face.

They did not like the act he submitted , is all, it was not due to the color of his skin.

I beg to differ. What if Tim Scott had been a Democrat introducing the same bill?
Karen Bass has introduced a bill. In her opinion, a much better bill.

If all it took were adding restrictions to no knock warrants and limits on qualified immunity, wouldn't it have been more reasonable to negotiate them instead of blocking debate on the bill? How hard would that have been?

No, you won't.

They did not like the act he submitted , is all, it was not due to the color of his skin.

I beg to differ. What if Tim Scott had been a Democrat introducing the same bill?

"In her opinion"

Not yours. Speaks volumes man.

The bill is a stunt. Instead of taking it to the committee where both parties could have worked out the details and presented a bipartisin bill, he took it directly to the floor where he knew it would fail. He didn't present a bill. He presented what would become talking points. A political stunt.

How is it a stunt when it has 80% of what Democrats want in it? Are you really that butthurt about qualified immunity?
it does not address the problems....

-choke holds

-no knock warrants

-shooting suspects in the back, running away

McConnell had no intention for the bill to pass... it should have followed the normal procedure for legislation.... the Committee develops the legislation within a bipartisan committee with responsibility.... they vote within the committee on the bill, adding to and taking out, to make a strong bill, then that is presented to the floor, to amend and vote on.

Mitch is playing games....

No, you won't.

EVERYTHING.

1. It doesn't ban choke holds, it incentivizes states and municipalities to ban them.

2. It doesn't end "no knock" warrants.

3. It doesn't end qualifed immunity. There is no provision to make police accountable for their actions.

3. It doesn't demilitarize the police.

4. It focuses on "a few bad applies" instead of dealing with the problem with systemic racism and violence in policing.

5. The Bill was not the product of a bi-partisan committee, but rather imposed on the Senate by Republicans, with NO MEANS FOR INPUT OR AMENDMENT.

6. McConnell had NO INTENTION OF PASSING REAL POLICE REFORM. This was a setup from the beginning. If McConnell was really interested in passing a bill, he would have had it come out of a bi-partisan committee in the first place.

MConnell brought a bill to the floor he KNEW Democrats would not pass, and did so in a way which would prevent Democrats from amending it in any way - Amendments would need 60 votes to pass. Now Mitch is going to claim that the Republicans supported change, but Democrats tanked it.

And you're lapping up this lie with a fork and spoon, like always.

Because the bill doesn’t do as much as Dems want.

No, nothing they introduce will. What does that say about our legislative process?
Nonsense. Dems have made qualified immunity a core of their reform proposals.

And how would the police do their jobs effectively if qualified immunity was eliminated? I agree with eliminating no-knock warrants.
It doesn’t need to be eliminated, but limited. How can police have any accountability with the way it is now?

No, nothing they introduce will. What does that say about our legislative process?

And how would the police do their jobs effectively if qualified immunity was eliminated? I agree with eliminating no-knock warrants.

Just like the police in every other first world country does it. By respecting the rights of all citizens. By not using racial profiling, or excessive force, or overkill (literally) for petty crimes.

The bill is a stunt. Instead of taking it to the committee where both parties could have worked out the details and presented a bipartisin bill, he took it directly to the floor where he knew it would fail. He didn't present a bill. He presented what would become talking points. A political stunt.

How is it a stunt when it has 80% of what Democrats want in it? Are you really that butthurt about qualified immunity?
it does not address the problems....

-choke holds

-no knock warrants

-shooting suspects in the back, running away

McConnell had no intention for the bill to pass... it should have followed the normal procedure for legislation.... the Committee develops the legislation within a bipartisan committee with responsibility.... they vote within the committee on the bill, adding to and taking out, to make a strong bill, then that is presented to the floor, to amend and vote on.

Mitch is playing games....

Allowing debate on the bill would have allowed for amendments and changes. No. Your argument is invalid. They didn't even want to discuss the topic.

That is political gamesmanship, Care4.

Just like the police in every other first world country does it. By respecting the rights of all citizens. By not using racial profiling, or excessive force, or overkill (literally) for petty crimes.

Now prove to me that those practices are a systemic issue among our police.

It doesn’t need to be eliminated, but limited. How can police have any accountability with the way it is now?

See that's the thing, I am not saying they shouldn't be held accountable. I am concerned with how much of a limiter democrats want to place on it.

No, you won't.

EVERYTHING.

1. It doesn't ban choke holds, it incentivizes states and municipalities to ban them.

2. It doesn't end "no knock" warrants.

3. It doesn't end qualifed immunity. There is no provision to make police accountable for their actions.

4. It focuses on "a few bad applies" instead of dealing with the problem with systemic racism and violence in policing.

5. The Bill was not the product of a bi-partisan committee, but rather imposed on the Senate by Republicans, with NO MEANS FOR INPUT OR AMENDMENT.

6. McConnell had NO INTENTION OF PASSING REAL POLICE REFORM. This was a setup from the beginning. If McConnell was really interested in passing a bill, he would have had it come out of a bi-partisan committee in the first place.

MConnell brought a bill to the floor he KNEW Democrats would not pass, and did so in a way which would prevent Democrats from amending it in any way - Amendments would need 60 votes to pass. Now Mitch is going to claim that the Republicans supported change, but Democrats tanked it.

And you're lapping up this lie with a fork and spoon, like always.
I don't agree that some of those "requirements" are necessary for such a bill.

I do agree that Mitch McConnell is fucking with Democrats.

Are you sitting here telling me that you think Democrats don't do the same shit-----in spades?

No, you won't.

"In her opinion"

Not yours. Speaks volumes man.
you lame ass ask hypothetical questions about what the reaction would be if a black person introduced the same bill as Scott.
no need for that, son.

A black person already weeks ago introduced a bill, which addressed more problems with policing. Democrats already took the lead.
As initially posted, you neither comprehend the situation nor present it honestly.

you are only interested in whining about race cards while playing the race card.

grow up, get a job.

No, you won't.

Shit bill... Black man introducing it or not... Plenty of black people in Democrat party telling you it was shit...

Let me give you a lesson... Democrats control the house... Best way to pass a bill is for the Democrats to write the bill consult with the GOP (especially Senate), amend, and pass it... OR GOP do same visa versa but they are more interested in the Democratic Congress...
GOP writing bills in the house and not consulting Democrats is just grandstanding, deliberate misleading to convince their base and nobody else..

Sure, Democrats are all about working together and compromise...dumbass.

These demands are based on stereotypes, not on actual facts.

Why would we need to end qualified immunity, specifically? Why can't it be modified instead of eliminated?

Let me give you a lesson... Democrats control the house... Best way to pass a bill is for the Democrats to write the bill consult with the GOP (especially Senate), amend, and pass it... OR GOP do same visa versa but they are more interested in the Democratic Congress...

The problem, professor, is that the Democrats didn't bother to consult Republicans on the construction of their bill. Republicans offered to work with Democrats to reach a compromise on the Justice Act, and Democrats refused to allow debate. Debate allows for amendments and changes, on a bipartisan level. Still Democrats refused.

Forum List

Back