Zone1 The Jackie Robinson Effect

$ecular#eckler

Platinum Member
Jan 13, 2020
Transient
I was thinking about the effect on American society that the Jackie Robinson situation had. So, I queried a Google search and found what I was expecting. I don't think there was much thought put into this description
misspelling "seem." :auiqs.jpg:
It might seen that Jackie Robinson just affected life around the game of baseball, but in reality, he changed the world. When Robinson came into baseball, America was just coming out of World War II. The Soviet Union, also known as USSR, Britain, France, and the United States of America had defeated Adolf Hitler and Nazi Germany. The Soviets were the leader of the Communist world, and the Europeans colonized most of the world. Those countries could not consider Americans the "leaders of the free world" because they oppressed their own kind. Jackie Robinson couldn't have come along at a better time. He brought people together through baseball, Fans of the Dodgers, both black and white, were raving about the success of the team and it unified the fan base.

What ever . . .

Ultimately, the Jackie Robinson situation maintained white supremacy in that it was a few black men being "elevated" to the White Man's level and subsequently bankrupting the Negro League.

And then things transitioned to free agency, and how well do black athletes score in that evaluation circus???

I just don't think Jackie Robinson did for Black Americans what Black Americans believe he did, and that is a problem.

Last edited:
Lets look at it this way..

The National League embraced black and Hispanic ballplayers while the American League only accepted a token number of blacks

National League brought us Willie Mays, Aaron, Clemente, Stargell, McCovey, Bob Gibson, Juan Marichal, Lou Brock…..

The National League dominated well into the 70s

Lets look at it this way..

The National League embraced black and Hispanic ballplayers while the American League only accepted a token number of blacks

National League brought us Willie Mays, Aaron, Clemente, Stargell, McCovey, Bob Gibson, Juan Marichal, Lou Brock…..

The National League dominated well into the 70s

Ernie Banks!

Ernie Banks!

American League teams seemed to sign one or two blacks per team just to show they were integrated. Teams like the Yankees and Red Sox did not sign their first black players until ten years after Jackie Robinson

I believe in meritocracy in ALL things. I believe in it just as much in the sports world as I do any other aspect of our society.

There is absolutely NO reason to prevent talented athletes to excel based upon the color of their skin.

Forum List

Back