Divine Wind

Platinum Member
Aug 2, 2011
Texas
Religious people obviously believe in the human spirit, but as the quote below from Dr. Neil deGrasse Tyson, an admitted "skeptic", notes, even non-religious people recognize the difference too.

Tyson has a show on the Nat'l Geo channel titled StarTalk where he has interviews and panel discussions mixing science and pop culture. This short speech by him came at the end of episode 19, season 3 "Herbie Hancock and Wayne Shorter". I thought it very profound.

"You know when I think about creativity in art and science, I see what's similar but I also notice what's different.

And what's different is, if Beethoven were never born, nobody would ever compose the 9th Symphony. That came out of him and nobody else. Whereas if Einstein were never born, somebody would have eventually discovered relativity. He was kind of ahead of him time, so it would have taken a little longer. Might have been a combination of scientists, but he is discovering a preexisting thing in the universe. So the creativity of the scientist is wrapping our head around a preexisting reality. Whereas the artist has no preexisting reality. They can create a reality. And maybe it's a little to far for whoever is looking at it to understand it at the time so we all sorta drag behind it and eventually say "Hey! Wow, they were onto something". 'Cause that's the true moving of a frontier forward. Did what you do kinda leave people behind and they gotta run and catch up after you? So, while both fields are deeply creative, in science, the universe is the judge, jury and executioner of our creativity. In art, in music, the judge, maybe the ultimate judge, is the human spirit and the human soul. And that's what it looks like from the cosmic perspective."

That's very cool, thanks for posting.
It's an interesting show. That particular episode actually dragged a bit, but his speech at the end was very good. Made it all worthwhile.

Tyson has been accused of being an atheist on this forum. Fairly true even though he prefers "skeptic". He's certainly not an asshole about it like Richard Dawkins. This video shows the difference between them:

The person who posted the video obviously favors the asshole.

I've seen quite a few of his shows, but I didn't catch that speech. Music and science are a big part of my life. I've never heard the comparison put quite that way.
I thought it was great, but coming from him, interesting because it was very spiritual. I like Tyson and have listened to several of lectures plus watched him on interviews and shows like "Cosmos" but he's more of a "just the facts, ma'm" guy than a philosopher.

I think he is acknowledging that even science can't know everything. The existence of a thing like the human soul, while unknowable in the scientific sense, can be given credence even by a skeptic.

I think he is acknowledging that even science can't know everything. The existence of a thing like the human soul, while unknowable in the scientific sense, can be given credence even by a skeptic.
I tend to agree. He's definitely admitting there is more to human beings than a bag of chemicals responding to programming like many atheists often do.

I agree. We are thinking and emotional beings. Which takes over in a situation is whether it turns into an examination of the facts or simply a gut-felt belief that a person concludes is relevant. If we want someone to "buy" our thinking on any subject, we best approach it in a palatable manner. Most of us find it difficult to swallow ground glass, but dessert isn't nearly as bad for digestion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree. We are thinking and emotional beings. Which takes over in a situation is whether it turns into an examination of the facts or simply a gut-felt belief that a person concludes is relevant. If we want someone to "buy" our thinking on any subject, we best approach it in a palatable manner. Most of us find it difficult to swallow ground glass, but dessert isn't nearly as bad for digestion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agreed, as pointed out very well by Dale Carnegie in his classic "How to Win Friends and Influence People".

Agustina Cephas

Forum List

Back