The Hobbit

Gracie

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2013
Lost
'The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey' Box Office: Film Breaks $1 Billion

Good news for "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey." Peter Jackson's "Hobbit" just broke the $1 billion mark in global earnings at the box office.

Released on Dec. 14 stateside, "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" has now earned $1,001,134,992 in ticket sales worldwide. The film has reached a domestic gross of $301.1 million since its release.

"We could not be more proud to have reached this amazing benchmark," Warner's president of domestic distribution Dan Fellman said, THR reports. "Together with our partners at MGM and New Line, everyone at Warner Bros. congratulates Peter Jackson and his entire cast and crew on the extraordinary success of this film."

Starring Ian McKellen and Martin Freeman, among others, "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" is now the 15th movie to earn more than $1 billion. Other recent films that reached figures in the billions include 2012's "Skyfall" at $1.1 billion, 2011's "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2" at $1.3 billion, and 2012's "Marvel's The Avengers" at $1.5 billion.

"Avatar" holds the number one spot in worldwide ticket sales. The 2009 smash hit made $2.78 billion, including $760.5 million in domestic sales. The only other film that has grossed more than $2 billion is 1997's "Titanic," which made $2.18 billion.

I am eagerly waiting for it to come out in dvd.

It was good....but not great....but then again, how do you make a movie that could appropriately place on film one of the best books written for all time.
My biggest complaint is their choice of who played Bilbo Baggins...sorry, he is just not a good enough actor.
Also - who did the makeup? A very poor job, throughout the film this bothered me.

Last edited:
I am eager to see it, but I don't think it will ever beat the first trilogy filmed.

I am eager to see it, but I don't think it will ever beat the first trilogy filmed.

I agree. The trilogy was done so well. The makeup and special effects were fantastic.
In this film - the makeup is so visible and obvious that it severely takes away from the movie.
The special effects, however, are quite good. The trolls and other "beast" are very good.
The film is no doubt worth seeing, it is a good film...it is just too bad the makeup is so bad.

I thought the first film of the LOTR trilogy was very much the best. After the decline in quality of those movies, and the time in between, not to mention what I thought were unimpressive previews, I don't expect great things from the Hobbit. It doesn't help that I was never a fan of the cgi Gollum.

Still, I'm sure I'll see it eventually and possibly enjoy it. :redface:

It's been so long since I've read the book that when I saw the trailer I was looking at the scenes, thinking, "I don't remember that... where did that come from"?

It's been so long since I've read the book that when I saw the trailer I was looking at the scenes, thinking, "I don't remember that... where did that come from"?

That I can remember there are only two books that I have read three times in my life - The Hobbit, and Enders Game.

That I can remember there are only two books that I have read three times in my life - The Hobbit, and Enders Game.

Ironically, those are books I consider wildly overrated. :tongue:

Well, I would never think to downplay the influence the LotR books have had. But I didn't enjoy either very much. :)

Well..I just finished watching the Hobbit. Can't put my finger on it but...I was not impressed. I do not like the guy playing Bilbo. Even Gandalf seemed "off". There was no "warmth" to the whole movie in the times they were not constantly battling something and the humor was not funny when they tried to insert it here and there. The scenery was great, though.
The plot seemed hurried...scattered. No particular character stood out at all. Actually, none of the characters had any character. In short...I am not impressed. And that is a bummer because I love LOTR trilogy and can watch it over and over and over. This one? Once was enough.

Maybe you need to see the whole movie at once? Part two is supposed to come out later this year with part three hitting in 2014...

I agree. The trilogy was done so well. The makeup and special effects were fantastic.
In this film - the makeup is so visible and obvious that it severely takes away from the movie.
The special effects, however, are quite good. The trolls and other "beast" are very good.
The film is no doubt worth seeing, it is a good film...it is just too bad the makeup is so bad.

agreed.

but this is just he first part of the book.... i hope the middle and ending are better.

I hope so too. It was very lacking in many aspects and I was left with WTF?? Plus it bummed me out it was so haphazard.

I did not like the Bilbo character. I loved the LOTR trilogy. The Hobbit, not so much but it wasn't bad either. Just o.k. Hopefully, the next two will be better.

I did not like the Bilbo character. I loved the LOTR trilogy. The Hobbit, not so much but it wasn't bad either. Just o.k. Hopefully, the next two will be better.

I think he picked the wrong actor. They tried to make Bilbo comical and buffonish.
But in the original story he is very intelligent, excellent at reading maps and solving problems.
This actor made Bilbo to silly.

Forum List

Back