The highest-end audio

Synthaholic

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2010
You don’t get any higher-end than these new Genelics. And when I win the lottery I may buy a pair.

$4,000 per speaker for these:

Genelec S360 SAM 10 inch 2-way Powered Studio Monitor
1604996606235.jpeg

So now you’re up to 8 grand. But 10” speakers, no matter how good they are, don’t producd bass, so you’ll need a good subwoofer. How about this, for only $10,595? It’s got 3 (three!) 15” speakers powered by an external 2500 watt amp.

Genelec 7382AP SAM Series 3 x 15" 2500W Studio Subwoofer (Producer Black)
1604996928333.jpeg

This is serious gear. Loud, with crystal-clear clarity.

---
Important Notice
  • This item is noncancelable and nonreturnable.

---

Savings Available:
1535539612_1432394.jpg

1473248124_1187089.jpg

Save Up to $45.00
Build Bundle
Lease for as low as$36600/month
----

• Rugged Wood Fiberboard Enclosure

Last edited:
Class D amplifiers
---
Class A amplifiers are the most linear design with the least amount of distortion, but at the expense of efficiency. On the other side of the spectrum, the efficiency of Class D amplifiers can be above 90% but at the expense of linearity and distortion.*

You don’t get any higher-end than these new Genelics. And when I win the lottery I may buy a pair.

$4,000 per speaker for these:

Genelec S360 SAM 10 inch 2-way Powered Studio Monitor
View attachment 414107

So now you’re up to 8 grand. But 10” speakers, no matter how good they are, don’t producd bass, so you’ll need a good subwoofer. How about this, for only $10,595? It’s got 3 (three!) 15” speakers powered by an external 2500 watt amp.

Genelec 7382AP SAM Series 3 x 15" 2500W Studio Subwoofer (Producer Black)
View attachment 414108

This is serious gear. Loud, with crystal-clear clarity.
Wow. I bet this setup sounds REAL good. At least it SHOULD for that much money. ;)

You think that is the highest of the hi-end, Bobo? Gee, do you have another thing coming. A sound engineer with some electronic background can build far better for a fraction of the price, but if you have 20K to plunk down on what amounts to a pair of bookshelf speakers and a sub module, they will be thrilled to take your money.

Just so you know, the most expensive commercially made consumer speakers can run well over $100,000, even over a million dollars.

These speakers you have will have to be raised off the floor to have any kind of imaging and won't be effective much below about 80-120 Hz no matter what they specs claim.

As Grumblenuts correctly stated, class D is fine for the lowest octaves of bass, say, 80 Hz and below, not at all anything I want to subject my ears to for the all-important midrange or treble.

118dB-- -- I assume they mean dB/w/m? That is barely satisfyingly loud, to recreate live music you need more like 130 dB/w/m with HEADROOM.

Techy speakers, built in amps, I'm more inclined to like the sub unit more, other than the cost and ugliness, my last thought is good luck if anything goes wrong-- -- with speakers like that, if they break, you've lost the entire stereo chain short of the source component and presumably, preamp.

If I told you how much better speakers you could buy for less money (in some cases, a tiny fraction of the cost), you probably wouldn't believe me.

Class A amplifiers are the most linear design with the least amount of distortion, but at the expense of efficiency.

That's because the amplifier is always "switched on," conducting, even when not doing anything. The reason why increasingly few are building class A these days. Super costly and great for keeping your room warm in the winter. The best alternative is class A/B push-pull with zero crossover notch distortion done in fully complimentary symmetry. Done right, it is a close approach to class A, but far more efficient (both from a power consumption and wattage output) and cooler / less expensive to operate.

Class D amplifiers
---
Class A amplifiers are the most linear design with the least amount of distortion, but at the expense of efficiency. On the other side of the spectrum, the efficiency of Class D amplifiers can be above 90% but at the expense of linearity and distortion.*
Yes, I know all about Class D amps, as most of mine are, except for my Crown amps. But there is zero distortion in these Genelics. That's why they cost what they do - it's not fancy wood, or solid gold screws holding it together - it's exceptional quality.

You think that is the highest of the hi-end, Bobo? Gee, do you have another thing coming. A sound engineer with some electronic background can build far better for a fraction of the price, but if you have 20K to plunk down on what amounts to a pair of bookshelf speakers and a sub module, they will be thrilled to take your money.

Just so you know, the most expensive commercially made consumer speakers can run well over $100,000, even over a million dollars.

These speakers you have will have to be raised off the floor to have any kind of imaging and won't be effective much below about 80-120 Hz no matter what they specs claim.

As Grumblenuts correctly stated, class D is fine for the lowest octaves of bass, say, 80 Hz and below, not at all anything I want to subject my ears to for the all-important midrange or treble.

118dB-- -- I assume they mean dB/w/m? That is barely satisfyingly loud, to recreate live music you need more like 130 dB/w/m with HEADROOM.

Techy speakers, built in amps, I'm more inclined to like the sub unit more, other than the cost and ugliness, my last thought is good luck if anything goes wrong-- -- with speakers like that, if they break, you've lost the entire stereo chain short of the source component and presumably, preamp.

If I told you how much better speakers you could buy for less money (in some cases, a tiny fraction of the cost), you probably wouldn't believe me.
You remain a moron.

I trust Sound On Sound more than I do anonymous morons on the internet.

My long-departed 1930s Philco console radio had a 15+ inch speaker with a huge horseshoe magnet. In those days AM radio stations were using Doherty Linear (typically Western Electric) Class A transmitters. The combination (except during thunderstorms) produced a sound you can't get today. That's one of the reasons AM radio is dying - FCC extreme bandwidth limitations that make those old transmitters illegal. Yes, the amplifier in the old Philco was Class A. I can't remember the type number - the output pair of tubes were sufficient, I think, to power one of today's little electric cars. Only thing I haven't missed about that old radio is the power bill!

Class D amplifiers
But there is zero distortion in these Genelics.

Look, Schledlap, I can tell you don't know FUCK about audio. You're just a typical audio rag-reading hi-fi yuppie. THERE IS NO TEST for good sound quality, THD and other common tests are only a measure of circuit linearity, the ability to reproduce a square wave w/o overshoot, etc., freedom from cross-talk and other things, they give no idea how REAL and musical a device will sound. That's why some of the worst sounding amps usually measure well and many great amps measure poor. One of the best amps I ever heard years ago had 10-20% THD!

GREAT! Not that I was offering to guide you. Why trust someone who used to design sound systems for major concert halls or has designed and built his own amps and speakers? DO PLEASE buy your Generics speakers. What do I know with a 3,000 watt sound system with six power amps and nine speaker drivers that is quad-amped using proprietary technology I helped develop! You got your fucking magazine.

If you look around in the hobby section somewhere, I think I've even written about my stereo once or twice as well as included a few pictures.

Meantime, here's what someone COULD buy for $20,000 if they actually knew shit about music and audio:

GK.jpg

THE REAL HIGH END

I was thinking I'd probably be looking for a PA system on Craig's List unless you're sure about winning the lottery ;)

The combination (except during thunderstorms) produced a sound you can't get today. That's one of the reasons AM radio is dying - FCC extreme bandwidth limitations that make those old transmitters illegal.

I haven't run a tuner in years Henry, but the two I used to use (from the 1950s) were monophonic. But you can still get good sound with FM though I don't know these days if there is anything out there playing anything worth listening to.

I haven't run a tuner in years Henry, but the two I used to use (from the 1950s) were monophonic. But you can still get good sound with FM though I don't know these days if there is anything out there playing anything worth listening to.

True, but all radio (AM and FM) were monophonic in the early 1950s. Stereo came a little later to FM and plenty later to AM (and a lousy system that was!) Yes you can get decent sound with FM but it doesn't matter that there's nothing worth listening to since very few FMs haven't bought into over-processing. Too late for it to matter but the FM you hear today is far lower in potential quality than was the original low-band FM (40-50 MHz) where bandwidth wasn't cut down to cram in more stations. That was killed off in 1949 making a half-million receivers obsolete. Not only was the potential for "quality" audio better but those FMs had reach! Far greater than the limited coverage of even the highest power FMs of today.

The proposed new digital audio service on the present AM band will be interesting to watch. I don't expect much from it, though, unless it's forced into car/truck radios and even home radios, many of which are now FM only. A lot of rural areas are going to lose audio broadcast services if this thing is mandated. I do expect, though, exemptions for places like Alaska where the alternatives to AM are viable only in major population areas. I don't expect the audio quality of any new service to be exceptional; receiver manufacturers long ago figured out that the average potential listener is so accustomed to shitty sound that somebody shouting into the end of a piece of string would sound acceptable to that average listener with the other end of the string stuffed in its ear. Or up its nose.

That thing better come out of the box and fix you a sandwich for that kinda $$

They better give you a blowjob. The things are uglier than my dog's ass.
Come back when you learn the difference between consumer audio and professional near-field monitoring. Not until.
I don't think they've picked up that they're studio monitors and not home stereo, yet.

Anyhoo - what are you mixing?

For my Monitoring I use Yamaha hs7s (the white ones cuz they're cooler looking) through an audient id22 sound card

Forum List

Back