midcan5

liberal / progressive
Jun 4, 2007
America
In the link below there is a photograph of Trump followers at a rally in Newtown PA, Newtown is an affluent white suburb of Philly. We have been there often. But seeing those faces should make a person wonder, if not shudder. Well dressed women crying over a man who is an empty shell outside of his bombast. You see the same bizarre teenage like adulation at a Trump rally in which he says nothing substantive and much of it is self congratulatory. Why do people associate with such talk? Do they really see in this man salvation of some sort, a return to a glorious past, a past that any freshman student of our history knows never existed. One needs to ask the basic question when did Americans become so weak, so prone to follow, or is this just who they are, who they have become.

"Today, these dynamics converge in the figure of Donald Trump and his acolytes. Like Freud’s exemplary leader, Trump invites identification. In the eyes of his supporters, he’s both an idealised hero capable of extraordinary feats (‘Make America Great Again!’), but also an ordinary guy just like one of them. His gilded lifestyle is aspirational but his tastes are accessible (a ‘beer taste on a Champagne budget’, as one commentator put it in The Guardian). Trump’s roiling resentments, fears and disgusts are openly on display, inviting and authorising imitation. And he is a master of playing to the crowd’s desire for transcendence, deploying his own grandiosity to make them feel part of something bigger than themselves. First, he points to the crowd’s humiliation: ‘We’re tired of being the patsy for, like, everybody. Tea party people… You have not been treated fairly. You talk about marginalising.’ Then he declares himself their tribune: ‘At least I have a microphone where I can fight back. You people don’t!’ Finally, he shares his power with them, telling the crowd: ‘You don’t know how big you are. You don’t know the power that you have.’ Trump and the crowd are one; the identification is complete."

Love and identification lie behind the dark urges of the mob | Aeon Classics

"On August 19, 1934, 95% of the Germans who were registered to vote went to the polls and 90% (38 million) of adult German citizens voted to give Adolf Hitler complete and total authority to rule Germany as he saw fit. Only 4.25 million Germans voted against this transfer of power to a totalitarian regime." William Shirer 'The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich'

My earlier post on Trump's followers.

CDZ - The Emasculated American

"The main hypothesis concerning group-think is this: the more amiability and espirt de corps among the members of an in-group of policymakers the greater the danger that independent critical thinking will be replaced by groupthink, which is likely to result in irrational and the dehumanizing actions directed at out-groups." Irving L. Janis in 'Sanctions for Evil'

I would not consider it a herd instinct as much as gullibility

Here's another example:

081103_obama_columns_convention.png

Ive been to business conferences where the CEO jumps on stage and emotes for half an hour. If the lights and music are good he will get a standing ovation and loads of whoops.

Ive seen people who bitched about the company all the way there on the flight turn native and throw their knickers on the stage.

People want to think everything is ok and they also want to feel a part of something bigger than themselves.

Sometimes I envy them that lack of critical thinking. I wish that I could be so easily pleased.

"Living is easy with eyes closed..." - John Lennon -

“There are people who are generic. They make generic responses and they expect generic answers. They live inside a box and they think people who don't fit into their box are weird. But I'll tell you what, generic people are the weird people. They are like genetically-manipulated plants growing inside a laboratory, like indistinguishable faces, like droids. Like ignorance.” - C. Joybell -

“I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies but not the madness of people.” - Isaac Newton -

“... in a cycle as old as tribalism, ignorance of the Other engenders fear; fear engenders hatred; hatred engenders violence; violence engenders further violence until the only "rights", the only law, are whatever is willed by the most powerful.” - David Mitchell -

“I look around and see that many — not all, but many — problems we've got could be solved if our culture simply fostered the habit of reading. Reading books of science, philosophy, history. Reading literature of quality, the sort that touches us because of a more profound reason, such as, for instance, because it's got something to say beyond all the futilities and trifles of life, even while depicting the ordinary in life, at the same time that it says it with style, in a unique, admirable manner. An original one.

We are not a county of readers, notwithstanding. We are the country of football turned into a cult, of guile being ranked high as a cardinal virtue, of Carnival made for exportation. A country where there are more letters in political party acronyms than in all many of our politicians have written in a lifetime. A country where ethics has become a joke theme. Where democracy is but a ridiculous puppet theatre.

Yes, I look around and see that many problems could be solved if we had the habit of reading. But I am not even sure whether there is someone reading these words.”
- Camilo Gomez Jones -

"The main hypothesis concerning group-think is this: the more amiability and espirt de corps among the members of an in-group of policymakers the greater the danger that independent critical thinking will be replaced by groupthink, which is likely to result in irrational and the dehumanizing actions directed at out-groups." Irving L. Janis in 'Sanctions for Evil'

Be that as it may, for as detestable as group-think is, it's vastly more efficient means of getting anywhere, provided one has a sage at the helm.

Ive been to business conferences where the CEO jumps on stage and emotes for half an hour. If the lights and music are good he will get a standing ovation and loads of whoops.

Ive seen people who bitched about the company all the way there on the flight turn native and throw their knickers on the stage.

People want to think everything is ok and they also want to feel a part of something bigger than themselves.

Sometimes I envy them that lack of critical thinking. I wish that I could be so easily pleased.

No you don't, Ignorance is not bliss.

In the link below there is a photograph of Trump followers at a rally in Newtown PA, Newtown is an affluent white suburb of Philly. We have been there often. But seeing those faces should make a person wonder, if not shudder. Well dressed women crying over a man who is an empty shell outside of his bombast. You see the same bizarre teenage like adulation at a Trump rally in which he says nothing substantive and much of it is self congratulatory. Why do people associate with such talk? Do they really see in this man salvation of some sort, a return to a glorious past, a past that any freshman student of our history knows never existed. One needs to ask the basic question when did Americans become so weak, so prone to follow, or is this just who they are, who they have become.

"Today, these dynamics converge in the figure of Donald Trump and his acolytes. Like Freud’s exemplary leader, Trump invites identification. In the eyes of his supporters, he’s both an idealised hero capable of extraordinary feats (‘Make America Great Again!’), but also an ordinary guy just like one of them. His gilded lifestyle is aspirational but his tastes are accessible (a ‘beer taste on a Champagne budget’, as one commentator put it in The Guardian). Trump’s roiling resentments, fears and disgusts are openly on display, inviting and authorising imitation. And he is a master of playing to the crowd’s desire for transcendence, deploying his own grandiosity to make them feel part of something bigger than themselves. First, he points to the crowd’s humiliation: ‘We’re tired of being the patsy for, like, everybody. Tea party people… You have not been treated fairly. You talk about marginalising.’ Then he declares himself their tribune: ‘At least I have a microphone where I can fight back. You people don’t!’ Finally, he shares his power with them, telling the crowd: ‘You don’t know how big you are. You don’t know the power that you have.’ Trump and the crowd are one; the identification is complete."

"On August 19, 1934, 95% of the Germans who were registered to vote went to the polls and 90% (38 million) of adult German citizens voted to give Adolf Hitler complete and total authority to rule Germany as he saw fit. Only 4.25 million Germans voted against this transfer of power to a totalitarian regime." William Shirer 'The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich'

Sounds more like left wing adulation for BO over 8 years. Also since you seem bent on being a shit for brains left wing asshole comparing Trump to Hitler, Nazis etc show us the concentration camps, opposition parties being imprisoned etc etc.

Such is partisan politics.

Pick a side and run with it. Defend it no matter what. Concede nothing, no matter how obvious. Attack, attack, attack.

Like clockwork. Herd instinct, tribal instinct, whichever.

Forum List

Back