The GOP in a Post-Trump World

candycorn

Diamond Member
Aug 25, 2009
Deep State Plant.
In either 1 or 5 years, it will be a reality.
Does the GOP continue to be the party run by conspiracy theories (Q-Anon) where everyone is out to get them or do they move toward the sane middle?
Does the GOP continue to be the party that discounts facts as "partisan rhetoric" or do they once again accept facts and form positions based on those facts?
Does the GOP continue to be the party that invites hate into it's platform or do they join the right-thinking Americans who disavow hate groups?
Does the GOP continue to call the press the "enemy of the people" or do they once again support freedom of the press?

Also, a bonus question. If you had to pick a person who is going to be the 2024 GOP candidate for President...who would you pick

Serious replies only. Thanks in advance.

Does the GOP continue to be the party run by conspiracy theories (Q-Anon) where everyone is out to get them or do they move toward the sane middle?
Does the GOP continue to be the party that discounts facts as "partisan rhetoric" or do they once again accept facts and form positions based on those facts?
Does the GOP continue to be the party that invites hate into it's platform or do they join the right-thinking Americans who disavow hate groups?
Does the GOP continue to call the press the "enemy of the people" or do they once again support freedom of the press?

Also, a bonus question. If you had to pick a person who is going to be the 2024 GOP candidate for President...who would you pick

Unless Limbaugh dies soon and takes Alex Jones, Sean Hannity, and the entire crew at breightbart "news" with him they will continue to be rabid nut-bars with no connection to reality.

‘Does the GOP continue to be the party that discounts facts as "partisan rhetoric" or do they once again accept facts and form positions based on those facts?’

It’s been a very long time since Republicans accepted facts and formed positions based on those facts, long before the advent of Trump.

Indeed, Trump is the product of decades of Republicans ignoring the facts, rejecting the truth, and adhering blindly to failed, wrongheaded conservative political, social, and economic dogma.

This won’t change when Trump is gone – it will in fact get worse, particularly if Biden is elected this November.

Unless Limbaugh dies soon and takes Alex Jones, Sean Hannity, and the entire crew at breightbart "news" with him they will continue to be rabid nut-bars with no connection to reality.

Those guys were still around when Bush, Romney, etc... were nominees and Presidents. They had some tether to reality at that point. So I don't really think their thought leaders will be driving it. Ratings in Radio and TV and the Internet to a degree are given by the vierwship/listenership of the stations, channels, and websites. The reason FOX focuses on sex appeal in their news readers isn't because they are qualified...its because they know who watches their station...angry frustrated males. The reason the guys you mentioned are so hateful is because their patrons are hateful. It is interesting that the hate has only gotten worse with the blob in office; is it not? It does reveal what the blob agenda is about...crystallized beautifully by Andrew Shepherd in the American President....he is interested in two things, "telling you who is to blame and making you afraid".

Anyway....I think that there will be a pendulum swing back toward the middle once the blob oozes out of office. But I think it will be a generation of three before most of us can have two parties to choose from once more.

Those guys were still around when Bush, Romney, etc... were nominees and Presidents. They had some tether to reality at that point. So I don't really think their thought leaders will be driving it. Ratings in Radio and TV and the Internet to a degree are given by the vierwship/listenership of the stations, channels, and websites. The reason FOX focuses on sex appeal in their news readers isn't because they are qualified...its because they know who watches their station...angry frustrated males. The reason the guys you mentioned are so hateful is because their patrons are hateful. It is interesting that the hate has only gotten worse with the blob in office; is it not? It does reveal what the blob agenda is about...crystallized beautifully by Andrew Shepherd in the American President....he is interested in two things, "telling you who is to blame and making you afraid".

Anyway....I think that there will be a pendulum swing back toward the middle once the blob oozes out of office. But I think it will be a generation of three before most of us can have two parties to choose from once more.
I'm.gonna hafta disagree.

‘Does the GOP continue to be the party that discounts facts as "partisan rhetoric" or do they once again accept facts and form positions based on those facts?’

It’s been a very long time since Republicans accepted facts and formed positions based on those facts, long before the advent of Trump.

Indeed, Trump is the product of decades of Republicans ignoring the facts, rejecting the truth, and adhering blindly to failed, wrongheaded conservative political, social, and economic dogma.

This won’t change when Trump is gone – it will in fact get worse, particularly if Biden is elected this November.

Good Post. I disagree with some of it though.

Did Bush disavow facts like the blob does? No. Neither did Romney. Neither did McCain. I agree with you on the social and economic dogma incluing Roe and tax cuts. Political dogma? Obama had it right (and was skewered by Pelosi and others by the way) that we do need to reform Social Security and entitlements and I think Bush/Romney/McCain would agree. FWIW, Romney was right about a few things; why are we still funding PBS when we're trillions in the hole? Any EPA ruling that will cost us X number of jobs should be subject to congressional vote.

To paraphrase Deep Throat from All the President’s Men: don’t believe the myth about Trump the media created, he’s not that smart.

Again, "telling you who is to blame and making you afraid" predates Trump; Republicans were using this sort of rhetoric more than 50 years ago – it got Nixon elected in 1968, it was the racism of Reagan’s ‘welfare queens.’

Trump is merely the symptom of a diseased GOP and the malignancy that is conservatism.

To paraphrase Deep Throat from All the President’s Men: don’t believe the myth about Trump the media created, he’s not that smart.

Again, "telling you who is to blame and making you afraid" predates Trump; Republicans were using this sort of rhetoric more than 50 years ago – it got Nixon elected in 1968, it was the racism of Reagan’s ‘welfare queens.’

Trump is merely the symptom of a diseased GOP and the malignancy that is conservatism.
Clayton, go back to your university and demand a refund. All that education has just made you a twit.

Good Points.

This is what tickles me about all of the wild conspiracy theories they spin about the Democrats. On one hand, the DEMS would do anything to hold on to power but at the same time, they are taking the most unpopular stances which will certainly cost them at election time. This is the sort of wild conspiracy theory I was talking about in the OP.

Did Bush disavow facts like the blob does? No. Neither did Romney. Neither did McCain. I agree with you on the social and economic dogma incluing Roe and tax cuts. Political dogma? Obama had it right (and was skewered by Pelosi and others by the way) that we do need to reform Social Security and entitlements and I think Bush/Romney/McCain would agree. FWIW, Romney was right about a few things; why are we still funding PBS when we're trillions in the hole? Any EPA ruling that will cost us X number of jobs should be subject to congressional vote.
Reagan, GHWB, GWB, Romney, and McCain were professional politicians – Trump is not.

Reagan, GHWB, GWB, Romney, and McCain had the political acumen to use the hate, fear, and racism of the GOP to their political advantage without getting dirty themselves.

Trump does not.

And Romney was wrong about PBS, its budget is miniscule compared to other appropriations – he was just pushing a favorite rightwing hot button issue for votes.

Funding PBS is perfectly appropriate and warranted – it benefits the nation as a whole.

The better question is why are we funding a failed, illegal war in Afghanistan – which in no manner benefits the nation.

Reagan, GHWB, GWB, Romney, and McCain were professional politicians – Trump is not.

Reagan, GHWB, GWB, Romney, and McCain had the political acumen to use the hate, fear, and racism of the GOP to their political advantage without getting dirty themselves.

Trump does not.

And Romney was wrong about PBS, its budget is miniscule compared to other appropriations – he was just pushing a favorite rightwing hot button issue for votes.

Funding PBS is perfectly appropriate and warranted – it benefits the nation as a whole.

The better question is why are we funding a failed, illegal war in Afghanistan – which in no manner benefits the nation.

The PBS thing is a small part of the budget but its clear that the American People shouldn't be paying for it when we're trillions in the hole already; small or not--doesn't matter.
As for Afghanistan, that was understandable at the time--that is where OBL was, protected by the Taliban, and some of the 9/11 hijackers were trained there as I recall
Iraq? That was a war of choice. A very bad choice.

So assuming the 2024 GOP candidate is a conventional politician, will you expect him (there is no her) to embrace facts and disavow conspiracy theories?

Good Points.

This is what tickles me about all of the wild conspiracy theories they spin about the Democrats. On one hand, the DEMS would do anything to hold on to power but at the same time, they are taking the most unpopular stances which will certainly cost them at election time. This is the sort of wild conspiracy theory I was talking about in the OP.
The kicker is that Republicans don’t believe the ridiculous conspiracy theories they propagate – regardless how they respond in polls.

They know that Hillary wasn’t running a child sex ring in the basement of a pizza parlor.

Republicans also know they’re in the minority, that time is not on their side, that America is becoming more diverse, inclusive, and progressive.

Conspiracy theories, therefore, are a political tool Republicans have resorted to in an effort to offset that disadvantage – along with tactics such as voter suppression and gerrymandering.

Republicans seek to sow mistrust with, and discord in, the political process, to undermine the political process in the hope that voters perceived to be likely Democratic voters give up on the process and abandon voting altogether – thus maintaining Republicans’ minority rule.

After holding the White House, the senate and the federal courts for four years and the house for two, how can the FOP campaign on victimhood?

Their torches throw lots of heat, but no light. Incendiary politics only works for a short time, especially after incumbency.
Republicans whining about being ‘victims’ is even more ridiculous given the fact that Republicans/conservatives will control the Federal courts for at least the next 30 years.

The right’s ‘victimhood’ rhetoric is intended to appeal to the baseless, unwarranted fears of white voters that America is being ‘taken’ from them, that ‘white culture’ is dying out, and that white Americans will soon become a ‘disadvantaged minority.’

Clayton, go back to your university and demand a refund. All that education has just made you a twit.
He's correct.

Not that I expect you to admit it.

Good Points.

They don't seem to be able to see the contradictions.

Forum List

Back