The first liberal court in two generations if HRC wins

JakeStarkey

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2009
How the first liberal Supreme Court in a generation could reshape America

Dylan Matthews on August 22, 2016, wrote, in “How the first liberal Supreme Court in a generation could reshape America”, that “Odds are that very soon, the Supreme Court will become something it hasn’t been in nearly 50 years: made up of a majority of Democratic-appointed justices.

Ever since Abe Fortas’s resignation in 1969, the Court has either been split down the middle or, more often, made up primarily of Republican appointees. Some of those Republican appointees nonetheless turned out to be liberals, but even taking that into account, the Court hasn’t been majority liberal since 1971, when William Rehnquist and Lewis Powell joined. That hasn’t stopped the Court from evolving in a progressive direction at times. In 1973, GOP appointee Harry Blackmun authored Roe v. Wade, drawing only two dissents; from 1996’s Romer v. Evans to 2015’s Obergefell v. Hodges, Anthony Kennedy and the Court’s liberals steadily expanded the rights of LGBTQ Americans.

But for the most part, over the past half-century liberals have been playing defense as an organized and well-planned movement of conservatives has limited the scope of rights trumpeted by liberals, expanded the power of the state in criminal justice, and issued more business-friendly rulings on campaign finance and regulatory issues. The Court ruled that states didn't have to give poor black and Latino school districts the same funding as rich white districts. It ruled that school resegregation achieved through white flight to wealthy suburbs was just fine. It ruled that despite declaring abortion a fundamental right, that didn’t mean Medicaid had to extend that right to poor women, and then it reversed course on treating abortion as a fundamental right at all. It struck down the death penalty but then brought it back four years later.”

A new court appointed by Clinton might improve prison conditions, possibly stop executions permanently, enact finance campaign laws that would gut Citizens United. Abortion rights would be defended. It might defend voting rights and damage gerrymandering. The LGBT question would be put to rest for two generations.

It's more than just the Supreme Court for the next twenty years, but the lower courts that will turn liberal

A liberal court will mean

End of the death penalty
End of Citizens United
Rollback of Heller
Protection of abortion rights
Protection of gay rights
I

• Banned
so the guy that claims to be a rep can't hide his desire for more dems to be in power and control. and wonders why he's called Fake
The fakes are you guys who say you are GOP but are not. You want to put a Dem lite like Trump into the WH. You are not even conservatives. Just power hungry gnats.

We may finally benefit from a 21st century interpretation of that document that was written from an 18th century perspective.

so the guy that claims to be a rep can't hide his desire for more dems to be in power and control. and wonders why he's called Fake
The fakes are you guys who say you are GOP but are not. You want to put a Dem lite like Trump into the WH. You are not even conservatives. Just power hungry gnats.
I'm going to tell you for the 30th or so time;

I'm not a republican.

leftist, like yourself, drove normal humans from the party.

You want everything the dems do, just don't have the balls to admit it.

I'm going to tell you for the 30th or so time; I'm not a republican. leftist, like yourself, drove normal humans from the party. You want everything the dems do, just don't have the balls to admit it.
Nonsense. You are not a conservative. You want dem lite in the presidency. You are about power. Have the integrity to admit it.

We may finally benefit from a 21st century interpretation of that document that was written from an 18th century perspective.
The liberal Supreme Court will move us into the 21st century with a modern view of capital punishment/ineffective prison system, voter rights, gay rights and the rights of women

I have never known Clinton to be a liberal. She and Bill are just continuing the Reagan legacy of destroying all FDR programs.

I'm going to tell you for the 30th or so time; I'm not a republican. leftist, like yourself, drove normal humans from the party. You want everything the dems do, just don't have the balls to admit it.
Nonsense. You are not a conservative. You want dem lite in the presidency. You are about power. Have the integrity to admit it.
I don't want trump to be pres, never have.

go find a link to back up your lies, just one time.

Still waiting for you to link any proof that Im a racist, and that's been days.

You totality in posts reveal your racism, which is well known on the board.

Because of people like you, Hillary is going to win and change America.

You totality in posts reveal your racism, which is well known on the board.

Because of people like you, Hillary is going to win and change America.
you lie as easy as breathing

filth like you is why America is dying. Dying while you cheer it's death

For the first time since the 70s, we will have a left leaning court. We should have had one six months ago

As things appear now, this is pretty much inevitable. During the Clinton Presidency, the Supreme Court will be liberal. And our 'Conservatives' will sit in their basements, stroking their AK's and AR's, muttering about revolution and 2nd Amendment solutions, until they succumb to heart failure from their obesity and lack of exercise. And their heirs will turn over all the ammo and guns to the police for destruction.

The liberal Supreme Court will move us into the 21st century with a modern view of capital punishment/ineffective prison system, voter rights, gay rights and the rights of women

And help twats like you crush anyone who doesn't agree with you.

Fascist.

As things appear now, this is pretty much inevitable. During the Clinton Presidency, the Supreme Court will be liberal. And our 'Conservatives' will sit in their basements, stroking their AK's and AR's, muttering about revolution and 2nd Amendment solutions, until they succumb to heart failure from their obesity and lack of exercise. And their heirs will turn over all the ammo and guns to the police for destruction.

Seems like you have a masturbatory fantasy here.

"Wank wank, dead conservatives, wank wank, dead libertarians, wank wank, AGW is my God, Wank wank."

Forum List

Back