The farthest object visible with the naked eye.

Go troll somewhere else moron.
Again the farthest thing known to be visible to the naked eye was this explosion an estimated 5.7 billion light years from Earth
Actually, genius, now that you are trying to disparage others for their stupidity, you might want to reexamine your own. If you relied on current information rather than outdated 12 year old articles, you'd know that the revised distance estimate for the Bootes GRB is 7.5 billion light years, not 5.7.

Now who is wearing the egg?

Again the farthest thing known to be visible to the naked eye was this explosion an estimated 5.7 billion light years from Earth, not 2.5 million light years away, so you are actually off pretty badly. So hand over the keys
You seem to be missing the point. The thread wasn't about the record holder, but about what anyone can ordinarily go out on any dark night and see, and I would agree. Andromeda would be it. Triangulum is exceeding low contrast needing rural skies now, and your GRB is not something you can go out and see. I doubt you even knew about it yourself except for looking it up on the web 5 minutes ago and it is amazing that you can't even discuss a reasonable topic like this w/o some flaming butthole like you trying to put down and degrade other people over it. Grow up.
Is every single speck that could possibly be seen identified and had it's distance measured? Even if so there is no way to differentiate most things apart from others at least not with the naked eye furthermore one can not tell distance with the naked eye either as what seems smaller and thus farther might actually be larger and closer. No way to determine any of this with the eye so the entire thing is a farce

Not to be nitpicky ... but that GBR was only visible for 30 seconds in 2008 ... apparent magnitude of 5.9 ... this would have to be at near zenith away from any cities or towns, bone dry and completely stable atmosphere AND at altitude ...

Kitt Peaks in Arizona ... in winter ... yeah, right ...

ETA: Phoenix reported 59ºF, 34% RH and 8 mph winds at that moment ... not sure you're seeing a 5.9 magnitude without great eyesight ...
If you go to the Atacama desert, you might see to mag 7.5 with excellent visual acuity. I see to about the 4th mag these days in my suburban skies. 5th mag would be 2.5X fainter than that. 6th mag another 2.5X fainter. That is over 6X fainter than what most can see. Unless the GRB occurred around mid-May around 10PM and someone at about +40° north was looking straight up at the zenith near gamma Bootis during the EXACT seconds of the event, they never would have seen it.

That makes the GRB of scientific interest for its brightness, but of statistical interest here only.

I think you lost me, Reiny ...
I’m still digesting Neil Tyson’s talk about whether or not I’m a computer simulation ... ! :tomato:

That was my take too, as Tyson seems to be saying that he is a computer simulation viewing the rest of the simulation. I wonder if he figured out that his simulation theory requires a simulation creator that most call God, a topic that he vehemently objects to. I wonder did his simulated universe simulate itself in a pond

If the Triangular galaxy is really orbiting or linked with Andromeda, and Andromeda is really heading towards us, perhaps I really will “eventually be correct!” : )
As part of the Local Group, both us, M33 and M31 are all gravitationally bound together!

Screen Shot 2020-05-10 at 6.54.58 PM.png

And our Local Group is bound to and orbits the Virgo Supercluster about 50-60 million l.y. away!

If the Triangular galaxy is really orbiting or linked with Andromeda, and Andromeda is really heading towards us, perhaps I really will “eventually be correct!” : )
As part of the Local Group, both us, M33 and M31 are all gravitationally bound together!

View attachment 334461

And our Local Group is bound to and orbits the Virgo Supercluster about 50-60 million l.y. away!
Sounds sexy.
A galaxy threesome.

So M33 is a little farther away than Andromeda but still visible to the naked eye at certain times.
The Pinwheel Galaxy M33 is very low contrast but can be seen under dark skies with averted vision. Best time to see it is in the Fall. Actually, both it and Andromeda are in the same part of the sky.

Screen Shot 2020-05-10 at 7.03.20 PM.jpg

The Great Square of Pegasus (Pegasus' wings) passes almost straight overhead in the fall from north temperate latitudes. M33 is near the northern fish of Pisces.

Screen Shot 2020-05-10 at 7.03.52 PM.jpg

Both are pretty equidistant to the bright star Beta Andromedae (center of chart). Here they both are in one picture.

M31M33MirachMalcolm2048.jpg

Last edited:
The speed of light is decreasing as time advances ... these distant galaxies aren't moving away from us, the light they emit is moving faster ... thus only giving the appearance of recession ... when in fact, they are stock still ...
You are joking with Tom Paine, right? That is the sort of argument that a creationist gives to rationalize a young 6,000 year old earth.

That's from an op-ed in SciAm talking about the confrontation part of scientific method ... it's necessity and where lacking hurts the scientific process ... and the author used GR as an example of something nobody is trying to disprove ... and he offer the monstrosity above, noting it didn't have to be good, just competitive ...

Anyway ... it makes for some pretty good amateur-grade crackpotism ...

Not to be nitpicky ... but that GBR was only visible for 30 seconds in 2008 ... apparent magnitude of 5.9 ... this would have to be at near zenith away from any cities or towns, bone dry and completely stable atmosphere AND at altitude ...

Kitt Peaks in Arizona ... in winter ... yeah, right ...

ETA: Phoenix reported 59ºF, 34% RH and 8 mph winds at that moment ... not sure you're seeing a 5.9 magnitude without great eyesight ...
If you go to the Atacama desert, you might see to mag 7.5 with excellent visual acuity. I see to about the 4th mag these days in my suburban skies. 5th mag would be 2.5X fainter than that. 6th mag another 2.5X fainter. That is over 6X fainter than what most can see. Unless the GRB occurred around mid-May around 10PM and someone at about +40° north was looking straight up at the zenith near gamma Bootis during the EXACT seconds of the event, they never would have seen it.

That makes the GRB of scientific interest for its brightness, but of statistical interest here only.
You ever been to the Atacama desert or do you just copy stuff from Wikipedia?
Actually I have been there once. Stayed at this place where they have lodging and privately own scopes you can rent to look through or use to image with. The Milky Way cast shadows on the ground there. You should shut your mouth and try it some time. Maybe you'll learn something.

there would be a very large void with the bangs origin at the center
Sorry, no. You apparently don't even understand the most basic ideas behind the BBT. There was no void to fill. There was no space. When the Big Bang occured, it wasn't like filling up an empty balloon, it was actual SPACE expanding outward. And just because space itself is still expanding doesn't preclude local objects moving about, otherwise, how would you ever get to any destination in your car?

My 2nd scope was a 4.5" TASCO newtonian GEM. I actually was going to be an astronomer but changed careers in highschool to something less esoteric, but still kinda teach astronomy privately to my own group on Yahoo.
Very cool. That was a fine telescope. Better than my 4” Dynascope. Mine didn’t come with a motor, and the equatorial mount was as basic as can be, but the optics were fine. I bought it new for $60 in maybe 1961!

Here’s a picture of that early 4” Dynascope:

Last edited:
“GRB 080319B was a gamma-ray burst (GRB) detected by the Swift satellite at 06:12 UTC on March 19, 2008. The burst set a new record for the farthest object that was observable with the naked eye:[2] it had a peak visual apparent magnitude of 5.8 and remained visible to human eyes for approximately 30 seconds.[3]

A curious fact though I doubt anyone actually saw it, Tom. Had someone been looking exactly at the right spot near gamma Bootis when it occurred, they only would have noticed a barely discernable star for a few seconds which they probably would have dismissed as a figment of their vision. Though, that part of the sky is up now at night rising in the east if anyone is inclined to go look for it right under the armpit of the Hunter where I plotted the location seen here marked with the red label.

View attachment 334450

Undoubtedly a curious wonder considering that the light of that event occurred 3 billion years before our Sun even burned hot in space!

I used to have a 4-inch reflecting telescope as a kid (saved for partly out of my school lunch money) and I dreamed of becoming an astronomer.
My 2nd scope was a 4.5" TASCO newtonian GEM. I actually was going to be an astronomer but changed careers in highschool to something less esoteric, but still kinda teach astronomy privately to my own group on Yahoo.
Sorry, that was my third scope. My first was a 3" reflector on a ball joint with a wing nut for a lock. Pretty rough. The second was a TASCO 2.4" refractor on GEM. Then the 4.5" TASCO. I've got 13 scopes now, the largest aperture (though not physical size) is a 14-inch folded catadioptric.

13). 14-inch.JPG
P6300002.JPG

Very cool. That was a fine telescope. Better than my 4” Dynascope.
I remember the Dynascope! I bet that was something like f/10 with a spherical primary. Probably gave pretty good views. No SA.

“GRB 080319B was a gamma-ray burst (GRB) detected by the Swift satellite at 06:12 UTC on March 19, 2008. The burst set a new record for the farthest object that was observable with the naked eye:[2] it had a peak visual apparent magnitude of 5.8 and remained visible to human eyes for approximately 30 seconds.[3]

A curious fact though I doubt anyone actually saw it, Tom. Had someone been looking exactly at the right spot near gamma Bootis when it occurred, they only would have noticed a barely discernable star for a few seconds which they probably would have dismissed as a figment of their vision. Though, that part of the sky is up now at night rising in the east if anyone is inclined to go look for it right under the armpit of the Hunter where I plotted the location seen here marked with the red label.

View attachment 334450

Undoubtedly a curious wonder considering that the light of that event occurred 3 billion years before our Sun even burned hot in space!

I used to have a 4-inch reflecting telescope as a kid (saved for partly out of my school lunch money) and I dreamed of becoming an astronomer.
Sorry, that was my third scope. My first was a 3" reflector on a ball joint with a wing nut for a lock. Pretty rough. The second was a TASCO 2.4" refractor on GEM. Then the 4.5" TASCO. I've got 13 scopes now, the largest aperture (though not physical size) is a 14-inch folded catadioptric.

View attachment 334483 View attachment 334484
That's a serious scope there.
You don't spy on your neighbors a half mile away do you ?

It's not a moon, a planet, a star or even a nebula.
It's our neighboring galaxy...View attachment 334190
This spiral galaxy, located 2.5 million light-years away from our sun, is considered to be a "twin sister" to our own galaxy in appearance, and will collide with our Milky Way in about 4.5 billion years.

If you want to see this galaxy for yourself, the best time is during the autumn months, from September to November. Throughout those months the constellation and galaxy can be seen rising in the east around mid-evening.

/———/ Libtards will blame it Galaxy Warming and solar system change deniers will be at fault.

View attachment 334450

View attachment 334483 View attachment 334484
That's a serious scope there.
You don't spy on your neighbors a half mile away do you ?
No, but I can see rust detail on a square nut holding a street sign a mile away or put a Collins Gen III Photomultiplier tube in it to boost the light intensity 50,000X to that of about a 60" scope. Can't look at the ground with that but views of space are as bright as deep sky photographs.

No, but I can see rust detail on a square nut holding a street sign a mile away or put a Collins Gen III Photomultiplier tube in it to boost the light intensity 50,000X to that of about a 60" scope. Can't look at the ground with that but views of space are as bright as deep sky photographs.
So you can save images with it, or take pictures through it ?

So you can save images with it, or take pictures through it ?
You can attach a vidicam to it to take pictures of planets, or attach a CCD camera or CMOS DSLR to it and shoot deepsky at either f/7, f/11 or even f/22, though that scope is best for small targets like planets, globulars, planetary nebula or galaxies. You can also shoot at about f/1.4 or 2.2 or something like that with a Fastar adapter but I never bought one of those. There, you actually replace the secondary mirror with a tertiary lens and mount the camera right on the front corrector plate at prime focus.

You can attach a vidicam to it to take pictures of planets, or attach a CCD camera or CMOS DSLR to it and shoot deepsky at either f/7, f/11 or even f/22, though that scope is best for small targets like planets, globulars, planetary nebula or galaxies. You can also shoot at about f/1.4 or 2.2 or something like that with a Fastar adapter but I never bought one of those. There, you actually replace the secondary mirror with a tertiary lens and mount the camera right on the front corrector plate.
But no match for the hubster ?

You ever try to aim it at a big plane - Airbus or something ?

You can attach a vidicam to it to take pictures of planets, or attach a CCD camera or CMOS DSLR to it and shoot deepsky at either f/7, f/11 or even f/22, though that scope is best for small targets like planets, globulars, planetary nebula or galaxies. You can also shoot at about f/1.4 or 2.2 or something like that with a Fastar adapter but I never bought one of those. There, you actually replace the secondary mirror with a tertiary lens and mount the camera right on the front corrector plate.
But no match for the hubster ?

You ever try to aim it at a big plane - Airbus or something ?
No, there is no match for the Hubble except an even bigger pro observatory. Planes and stuff are too fast moving. But here's a picture of Clavius. That's where they supposedly were in the movie 2001.

ClaviusC14.jpg

Forum List

Back