The farthest object visible with the naked eye.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not to be nitpicky ... but that GBR was only visible for 30 seconds in 2008 ... apparent magnitude of 5.9 ... this would have to be at near zenith away from any cities or towns, bone dry and completely stable atmosphere AND at altitude ...

Kitt Peaks in Arizona ... in winter ... yeah, right ...

ETA: Phoenix reported 59ºF, 34% RH and 8 mph winds at that moment ... not sure you're seeing a 5.9 magnitude without great eyesight ...

Last edited:
Your article is old dumbass.
Now go away and stop embarrassing yourself.
All those stars you see are in our Milky Way.

This is new information from 2019...
The article is from 2008 when a large explosion 5.7 billion lightyears was observed with the human eye by NASA. Your newer article from 2019 claims that the most distant object ever observed with the human eye is 2.5 million lightyears from Earth.

Last edited by a moderator:
... observed with the human eye by NASA ...

Why would a NASA official be up on Kitt Peaks looking straight up during those particular 30 seconds ... in the middle of the night ... just curious is all ...

... observed with the human eye by NASA ...

Why would a NASA official be up on Kitt Peaks looking straight up during those particular 30 seconds ... in the middle of the night ... just curious is all ...
They were not, the burst was initially detected by a satellite that alerted people on the ground or the satellite measured the luminescence dictating that it would have been detectable to the human eye

“GRB 080319B was a gamma-ray burst (GRB) detected by the Swift satellite at 06:12 UTC on March 19, 2008. The burst set a new record for the farthest object that was observable with the naked eye:[2] it had a peak visual apparent magnitude of 5.8 and remained visible to human eyes for approximately 30 seconds.[3]

As Angelo said, and toobfreak nicely corrected, the “farthest object visible with the human eye” remains ... the Andromeda and M33 Galaxies ..

I used to have a 4-inch reflecting telescope as a kid (saved for partly out of my school lunch money) and I dreamed of becoming an astronomer. Unfortunately, living in a NYC suburb, I don’t think I ever saw these galaxies — at least not outside of the Hayden Planetarium.

One of the nice things about those days was going out to a quiet school yard or public park, setting up, and sometimes showing off before the older girls and even local punks who sometimes came around to watch. One night I discovered what looked like a huge crack on the mirror surface at the bottom of my open-ended Bakelite telescope. Checking more carefully, I discovered it was a flat ice cream popsicle stick one of the local wise guys threw down the open end of my beloved treasure.

I think is was done by some killjoy like esalla.

Last edited:
“GRB 080319B was a gamma-ray burst (GRB) detected by the Swift satellite at 06:12 UTC on March 19, 2008. The burst set a new record for the farthest object that was observable with the naked eye:[2] it had a peak visual apparent magnitude of 5.8 and remained visible to human eyes for approximately 30 seconds.[3]

As Angelo said, and toobfreak nicely corrected, the “farthest object visible with the human eye” remains ... the Andromeda and M33 Galaxies ..

I used to have a 4-inch reflecting telescope as a kid (saved for partly out of my school lunch money) and I dreamed of becoming an astronomer. Unfortunately, living in a NYC suburb, I don’t think I ever saw these galaxies — at least not outside of the Hayden Planetarium.

One of the nice things about those days was going out to a quiet school yard or public park, setting up, and sometimes showing off before the older girls and even local punks who sometimes came around to watch. One night I discovered what looked like a huge crack on the mirror surface at the bottom of my open-ended Bakelite telescope. Checking more carefully, I discovered it was a flat ice cream popsicle stick one of the local wise guys threw down the open end of my beloved treasure.

Actually Angelo was also wrong about the distance to M33 as it is not 2.5 million light years but 2.72 up to 3 million light years from Earth.

So check again

Eventually you will be correct

LOL. I’m not looking for an argument here. Just thought you started off a little sharp-edged, Essala, that’s all.

Thanks for the correction. If the Triangular galaxy is really orbiting or linked with Andromeda, and Andromeda is really heading towards us, perhaps I really will “eventually be correct!” : )

Actually Angelo was also wrong about the distance to M33 as it is not 2.5 million light years but 2.72 up to 3 million light years from Earth.

So check again

LOL. I’m not looking for an argument here. Just thought you started off a little sharp-edged, Essala, that’s all.

Thanks for the correction. If the Triangular galaxy is really orbiting or linked with Andromeda, and Andromeda is really heading towards us, perhaps I really will “eventually be correct!” : )
Even if it is heading toward us, are we heading toward it?

Naturally all of this invalidates the big bang theory as according to that everything is headed away from everything else

So check again

Naturally all of this invalidates the big bang theory as according to that everything is headed away from everything else
I’ve given up on Big Bang ... and “Little Bang” theories too. I used to like that old “Steady State” theory of that British Astronomer ... Hoyle (?). Not that I had any scientific reason to believe him. It just sounded right to me. Soothing, like for some people who believe in God. On the other hand I confess I loved watching the Big Bang TV series ... or at least its jingle. My brother is preparing a talk for non-scientists (and kids) on Einstein’s Special Theory of Relativity and he tried it out on me — I failed. Actually I think my reasoning and questions were just too subtle for his engineer’s mind! : )

So check again

I’ve given up on Big Bang ... and “Little Bang” theories too. I used to like that old “Steady State” theory of that British Astronomer ... Hoyle (?). Not that I had any scientific reason to believe him. It just sounded right to me. Soothing, like for some people who believe in God. On the other hand I confess I loved watching the Big Bang TV series ... or at least its jingle. My brother is preparing a talk for non-scientists (and kids) on Einstein’s Special Theory of Relativity and he tried it out on me — I failed. Actually I think my reasoning and questions were just too subtle for his engineer’s mind! : )
I do not in principle disagree with the big bang but there is one obvious fault which is that if all mass emanated from a single point some 14 billion years ago, there would be a very large void with the bangs origin at the center and the universes mass would be spreading in a sort of circular shell shape. I heard this analogy made once and the cosmologist said that there really was no big bang center, that the big bang is just when everything popped into existence.

So the big bang answers nothing and may well just be a whole lot of we do not know. Have you seen Tyson babble that the universe is really a computer simulation?

The speed of light is decreasing as time advances ... these distant galaxies aren't moving away from us, the light they emit is moving faster ... thus only giving the appearance of recession ... when in fact, they are stock still ...

Andromeda isn't moving towards us, it's just a little ahead of us time-wise ... so it's light is moving slower ...

The speed of light is decreasing as time advances ... these distant galaxies aren't moving away from us, the light they emit is moving faster ... thus only giving the appearance of recession ... when in fact, they are stock still ...

Andromeda isn't moving towards us, it's just a little ahead of us time-wise ... so it's light is moving slower ...
You are joking with Tom Paine, right? That is the sort of argument that a creationist gives to rationalize a young 6,000 year old earth.

A curious fact though I doubt anyone actually saw it, Tom. Had someone been looking exactly at the right spot near gamma Bootis when it occurred, they only would have noticed a barely discernable star for a few seconds which they probably would have dismissed as a figment of their vision. Though, that part of the sky is up now at night rising in the east if anyone is inclined to go look for it right under the armpit of the Hunter where I plotted the location seen here marked with the red label.

Screen Shot 2020-05-10 at 5.52.35 PM.jpg

Undoubtedly a curious wonder considering that the light of that event occurred 3 billion years before our Sun even burned hot in space!

I used to have a 4-inch reflecting telescope as a kid (saved for partly out of my school lunch money) and I dreamed of becoming an astronomer.
My 2nd scope was a 4.5" TASCO newtonian GEM. I actually was going to be an astronomer but changed careers in highschool to something less esoteric, but still kinda teach astronomy privately to my own group on Yahoo.

It's not a moon, a planet, a star or even a nebula.
It's our neighboring galaxy...View attachment 334190
This spiral galaxy, located 2.5 million light-years away from our sun, is considered to be a "twin sister" to our own galaxy in appearance, and will collide with our Milky Way in about 4.5 billion years.

If you want to see this galaxy for yourself, the best time is during the autumn months, from September to November. Throughout those months the constellation and galaxy can be seen rising in the east around mid-evening.

Are you stupid?

There are things much farther than than our neighboring galaxy visible to the naked eye. If not the sky would be far emptier

Astronomershave placed the star in the constellation Bo?tes. They have estimated it to be7.5 billion light years away from Earth, meaning the explosion took place whenthe universe was less than half its current age and before Earth formed.

The mostdistant previous object that could be seen by the naked eye is the galaxy M33,a relatively short 2.9 million light-years from Earth.

Esalla, as I'm sure others already pointed out, that was a transient one time event lasting only seconds that I'm sure no one on Earth actually observed naked eye. The article is misleading in that it REACHED naked eye visibility (if far out in the rural country), not that anyone actually saw it, and I'm not sure you're justified in calling anyone stupid for that.

Again the farthest thing known to be visible to the naked eye was this explosion an estimated 5.7 billion light years from Earth, not 2.5 million light years away, so you are actually off pretty badly. So hand over the keys
You seem to be missing the point. The thread wasn't about the record holder, but about what anyone can ordinarily go out on any dark night and see, and I would agree. Andromeda would be it. Triangulum is exceeding low contrast needing rural skies now, and your GRB is not something you can go out and see. I doubt you even knew about it yourself except for looking it up on the web 5 minutes ago and it is amazing that you can't even discuss a reasonable topic like this w/o some flaming butthole like you trying to put down and degrade other people over it. Grow up.

Forum List

Back