The farthest object visible with the naked eye.

the other mike

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2019
Secret City under Denver Airport
It's not a moon, a planet, a star or even a nebula.
It's our neighboring galaxy...
1589085660105.png

This spiral galaxy, located 2.5 million light-years away from our sun, is considered to be a "twin sister" to our own galaxy in appearance, and will collide with our Milky Way in about 4.5 billion years.

If you want to see this galaxy for yourself, the best time is during the autumn months, from September to November. Throughout those months the constellation and galaxy can be seen rising in the east around mid-evening.

Last edited:
Damn. Guess I'll miss it.

Damn. Guess I'll miss it.
From what I understand, it won't necessarily be a violent collision- more like the two galaxies will merge in some sort of eliptical dance to form one giant galaxy.
Yep, and that merging will probably take millions of years after it starts.

The farthest object visible with the naked eye It's not a moon, a planet, a star or even a nebula. It's our neighboring galaxy...

Actually, that is not quite true. Generally speaking, M31 Andromeda Galaxy is the most distant object easily seen by most people today. But from a dark site, the Triangulum Galaxy M33 is slightly farther away. I've seen that.

Under ideal conditions from a perfect dark site with a person of excellent visual acuity, Bode's Galaxy M81 in Ursa Major (near the Big Dipper and near where the Hubble Deep Field photo was taken), has been seen by a few, and it is about 4X further away than Andromeda.

BTW, if interested, here is a mosaic of Andromeda I've taken through a 6-inch apochromat. I had to greatly reduce the file size and resolution for loading here.

M31mosaic.jpg

Great photo ... thanx for posting ... I'll spare you the photoshop jokes ... ha ha ha ...

We are only assuming the Milky Way looks like this ... we really don't know ... so much of our galaxy is obscured by dust clouds and such that we can only see a small part ... as technology improves and we find other avenues of observation, we are slowly getting a better idea of the true shape ... and some evidence has emerged that our galaxy is actually a barred spiral galaxy ... like NGC 1300:

barred-spiral-galaxy-ngc-1300-chris-butler.jpg

I used to say "we'll never know", but then again ... maybe we will ... someday ...

It was a dark dark night ... we were up around 7000 feet elevation out in the desert southwest ... man, that galaxy is BIG ... the reference books say 3º of arc in size, about six times the diameter of the Moon ...
Neat. Amazing the difference dry air out there has.

Great photo ... thanx for posting ... I'll spare you the photoshop jokes ... ha ha ha ...
Photoshop jokes? Not sure what they would be. I don't even use Photoshop. I use Corel and a few other programs made for astro-imaging.

We are only assuming the Milky Way looks like this ... we really don't know ...
Actually, we have a very good idea based on a number of studies at various wavelengths + motions of the stars. The galaxy you show looks like an SBc type barred spiral, arms too loose. The Milky Way is an SBb type barred spiral with more tightly wrapped arms more like this illustration.

PIA19341-MilkyWayGalaxy-SpiralArmsData-WISE-20150603.jpg

It's our neighboring galaxy...View attachment 334190
This spiral galaxy, located 2.5 million light-years away from our sun, is considered to be a "twin sister" to our own galaxy in appearance, and will collide with our Milky Way in about 4.5 billion years.

If you want to see this galaxy for yourself, the best time is during the autumn months, from September to November. Throughout those months the constellation and galaxy can be seen rising in the east around mid-evening.

Are you stupid?

There are things much farther than than our neighboring galaxy visible to the naked eye. If not the sky would be far emptier

Astronomershave placed the star in the constellation Bo?tes. They have estimated it to be7.5 billion light years away from Earth, meaning the explosion took place whenthe universe was less than half its current age and before Earth formed.

The mostdistant previous object that could be seen by the naked eye is the galaxy M33,a relatively short 2.9 million light-years from Earth.

Are you stupid?
Not that I'm aware of.
But you just proved that you are.
Stupid people are never aware of their stupidity. Anyone claiming that nothing farther than 2.5 million light years from Earth can be seen with the naked eye is likely a flat Earth believer

Tell us more about how 2.5 million light years is as far as the human eye can see in the universe

Educate us

Are you stupid?
Not that I'm aware of.
Stupid people are never aware of their stupidity. Anyone claiming that nothing farther than 2.5 million light years from Earth can be seen with the naked eye is likely a flat Earth believer

Tell us more about how 2.5 million light years is as far as the human eye can see in the universe

Educate us
Don't make it so difficult.:auiqs.jpg:

Are you stupid?

There are things much farther than than our neighboring galaxy visible to the naked eye. If not the sky would be far emptier

Astronomershave placed the star in the constellation Bo?tes. They have estimated it to be7.5 billion light years away from Earth, meaning the explosion took place whenthe universe was less than half its current age and before Earth formed.

The mostdistant previous object that could be seen by the naked eye is the galaxy M33,a relatively short 2.9 million light-years from Earth.

All those stars you see are in our Milky Way.

Your article is from 2008...
Mine is from 2019...

Are you stupid?
Not that I'm aware of.

Educate us

Are you stupid?

Mine is from 2019...
LOL and the light is from billions of years ago proving that you are mentally absent.

Are you stupid?
Not that I'm aware of.

Educate us
Are you stupid?
Not that I'm aware of.

Educate us

Are you stupid?

Mine is from 2019...
LOL and the light is from billions of years ago proving that you are mentally absent.
Oh God.
Another flat-Earther.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Are you stupid?
Not that I'm aware of.

Educate us
Are you stupid?
Not that I'm aware of.

Educate us

Are you stupid?

Mine is from 2019...
Oh God.
Another flat-Earther.

Again the farthest thing known to be visible to the naked eye was this explosion an estimated 5.7 billion light years from Earth, not 2.5 million light years away, so you are actually off pretty badly. So hand over the keys

Forum List

Back