The End of ALL Entitlements

"It's not foolproof"... I mean, you just about summed up why most governments have a safety net.

Some people can't afford to save 7.6% of their income.
Yes, they can. The government does it for them for Social Security. If you can't save, then do what they did in the "old days" -- work till the day you die. For those who lament their low economic station in life, it's like Judge Smails said in the movie Caddyshack -- Yeah, well. The world needs ditch diggers, too.

Not a taunt. Just the reality some people make for themselves.

Yes, they can. The government does it for them for Social Security. If you can't save, then do what they did in the "old days" -- work till the day you die. For those who lament their low economic station in life, it's like Judge Smails said in the movie Caddyshack -- Yeah, well. The world needs ditch diggers, too.

Not a taunt. Just the reality some people make for themselves.

Thing is that some people might get more out of social security than they've put in.

Inflation causes HUGE PROBLEMS for your argument. Imagine I save 7.6% and then inflation hits 200% for 6 months... all of a sudden everything I saved is worthless.

The issue is that many people who are on programs like medicare and social security have already used.Not only every single penny they've ever paid into the programs, But every penny their children have paid into them as well.

If this were Inactive The vast majority of people on medicare and social security would immediately lose their benefits because they've already used up all the money they themselves have paid into it. Are they going to have to pay back the money that they used that was more than their personal contribution?

Also with this include corporate welfare as well. Are we going to ban all government subsidies to private interests And all government grants?

Thing is that some people might get more out of social security than they've put in.

Inflation causes HUGE PROBLEMS for your argument. Imagine I save 7.6% and then inflation hits 200% for 6 months... all of a sudden everything I saved is worthless.
Actually it's not just some people.Everyone on social security uses more than they personally paid into it.

Last edited:

Inflation causes HUGE PROBLEMS for your argument. Imagine I save 7.6% and then inflation hits 200% for 6 months... all of a sudden everything I saved is worthless
They aren't supposed to get more than they put in. Your inflation argument is irrelevant. Save more. Doesn't suffice? That doesn't entitle you to other people's money. Americans survived for the first 170 years without Social Security. It was rough, but they simply dealt with it as best they could. There is no right to retire.

Actually it's not just some people.Everyone on social security uses more than they personally paid into it.

I doubt it's everyone. Rich people won't get more than they paid in.

Oh, the government, run by the rich, controlled by the rich, and the media is owned by the rich and they manipulate people by telling them they don't want social security.

Who'd have thunked it?

They aren't supposed to get more than they put in. Your inflation argument is irrelevant. Save more. Doesn't suffice? That doesn't entitle you to other people's money. Americans survived for the first 170 years without Social Security. It was rough, but they simply dealt with it as best they could. There is no right to retire.

No, my inflation argument is not irrelevant at all.

If you save money, and then you lose money because you're saving it, then it means you need to save more.

Also, saving money means money isn't circulating. It's better for poor people to be spending their money now, than saving it up. The govt takes the money, and spends it, then when inflation goes up, they take money at the inflated rate to pay for things.

Yes, Americans "survived" for 170 years without social security.

Life expectancy has risen from below 40 in 1880 to 78 in modern times. A huge difference.

Life expectancy has increased because people don't die from not being able to work.

So the "survive" part is WRONG, a lot of people simply did not survive.

I decline of the church in the mid-sixties coincides with the broadening of government social welfare programs.

Churches were also unable to handle the Great Depression as well, which is why SS became a thing in the first place.

No, they died off from famines, diseases related to poverty, epidemics in slums, or simply froze to death in winters with little or no shelter and heat due to business and harvest cycles. It took constant influxes of immigrants to keep the crops harvested and production going. Studies show that after 1820, when the first waves of mass immigration from Europe started, the average native American, defined as families who had been here for three generations or longer, suffered a average loss of height and lifespans of 15% for the rest of the 19th century due to malnutrition; slaves were better off than 'free' white laborers.

No, my inflation argument is not irrelevant at all.

If you save money, and then you lose money because you're saving it, then it means you need to save more.

Also, saving money means money isn't circulating. It's better for poor people to be spending their money now, than saving it up. The govt takes the money, and spends it, then when inflation goes up, they take money at the inflated rate to pay for things.

Life expectancy has risen from below 40 in 1880 to 78 in modern times. A huge difference.

Life expectancy has increased because people don't die from not being able to work.

So the "survive" part is WRONG, a lot of people simply did not survive.
Dueling definitions of survival, inflation, and life expectancy aren't the central issue. The central issue is self reliance. No one has a Constitutional right to someone else's money -- I don't care how badly they SAY they need it. Poverty and adversity are relative. Poverty isn't about driving around in an SUV while they complain about their financial struggles. Hunger isn't about a woman 50 pounds overweight standing before media cameras talking about how her children are going hungry. Take a "poor person" in this country and force them to live in the Sudan for six months. Then see if they still think they are poor. It's as the saying the saying goes -- I felt sorry for a man who had no shoes until I met a man who had no feet. If I want to help, that should be my business and mine alone. Can't make it? Well, you can serve as an example for others to learn from.

Dueling definitions of survival, inflation, and life expectancy aren't the central issue. The central issue is self reliance. No one has a Constitutional right to someone else's money -- I don't care how badly they SAY they need it. Poverty and adversity are relative. Poverty isn't about driving around in an SUV while they complain about their financial struggles. Hunger isn't about a woman 50 pounds overweight standing before media cameras talking about how her children are going hungry. Take a "poor person" in this country and force them to live in the Sudan for six months. Then see if they still think they are poor. It's as the saying the saying goes -- I felt sorry for a man who had no shoes until I met a man who had no feet. If I want to help, that should be my business and mine alone. Can't make it? Well, you can serve as an example for others to learn from.

And, as just about every civilized country has realized, sometimes self reliance isn't possible when you're DEAD.

The issue is that many people who are on programs like medicare and social security have already used.Not only every single penny they've ever paid into the programs, But every penny their children have paid into them as well.

If this were Inactive The vast majority of people on medicare and social security would immediately lose their benefits because they've already used up all the money they themselves have paid into it. Are they going to have to pay back the money that they used that was more than their personal contribution?

Also with this include corporate welfare as well. Are we going to ban all government subsidies to private interests And all government grants?
Yes, ban ALL subsidies. Eliminate student loans (go to a bank). Eliminate small government loans (go to a bank).

I think the question is outside the scope of what I was asking -- or at least irrelevant. For the sake of discussion, simply assume the program is eliminated and a payout given to each individual passed on the amount they contributed. I'm looking for a description of what America would look like. If it helps, then I'll redefine as follows: If our current federal and state government were compelled to limit their spending to the outlays type done by those governments in 1920, what would America look like from cultural standpoint in 20 years?
Wealthier.

And, as just about every civilized country has realized, sometimes self reliance isn't possible when you're DEAD.
Rhetoric. If we hadn't stolen $33 trillion from countless future generations because "self reliance isn't possible", then those precious entitlement programs would have died long ago. They will die within the next 30 years (or shrivel to virtually nothing). It is inevitable. No one has "died from poverty" in this country for the past 100 years (probably much longer) -- even before the entitlements. Yes, some died of medical problems. But I refuse to believe that someone who smokes and drinks to excess should get a free heart transplant.

Rhetoric. If we hadn't stolen $33 trillion from countless future generations because "self reliance isn't possible", then those precious entitlement programs would have died long ago. They will die within the next 30 years (or shrivel to virtually nothing). It is inevitable. No one has "died from poverty" in this country for the past 100 years (probably much longer) -- even before the entitlements. Yes, some died of medical problems. But I refuse to believe that someone who smokes and drinks to excess should get a free heart transplant.

People died of poverty all the time before entitlements and probably die now because of poverty.

At one point I was getting videos on Facebook from someone who went interviewing homeless people in the US.... It happens. Just because you don't see.

Also, the NHS in the UK costs less per capita than what the US federal govt spends on healthcare.

And that gets most people NOTHING.

Forum List

Back