The electoral map is changing this cycle

JimH52

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2007
US
http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2016/10/clinton-and-trump-are-shuffling-the-electoral-map/502748/

Democrats universally recognize the importance of maintaining a presidential foothold in the Rustbelt––particularly in Michigan, Wisconsin and Pennsylvania. But as the party continues to struggle with working-class whites––and Republicans in turn struggle to craft an agenda acceptable to more minorities and socially-liberal whites––increasingly Democratic strategists believe Clinton’s tilt toward the Sunbelt represents their party’s future.

Both parties agree that the steadily growing minority population may eventually add fast-growing Arizona and Georgia to the list of competitive Sunbelt states––though it does not yet appear Clinton is attracting quite enough college-educated whites to tip either of them in 2016.

“As the battleground states that are important mirror the American population, you are going to see Democrats do better than they have historically,” Stewart said. “She is outperforming Obama right now in North Carolina, Florida and Virginia. I never would have said in those three Sunbelt states that she would be outperforming us.”

Comrade Trump has set the GOP back a decade, at least. Their outreach to non-whites is now going to have to start over.

I found it kind of surprising how quickly Ohio and North Carolina switched places. I thought that would take another cycle or two.

Also Colorado being a better state for Democrats than Nevada seems equally crazy.

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2016/10/clinton-and-trump-are-shuffling-the-electoral-map/502748/

Democrats universally recognize the importance of maintaining a presidential foothold in the Rustbelt––particularly in Michigan, Wisconsin and Pennsylvania. But as the party continues to struggle with working-class whites––and Republicans in turn struggle to craft an agenda acceptable to more minorities and socially-liberal whites––increasingly Democratic strategists believe Clinton’s tilt toward the Sunbelt represents their party’s future.

Both parties agree that the steadily growing minority population may eventually add fast-growing Arizona and Georgia to the list of competitive Sunbelt states––though it does not yet appear Clinton is attracting quite enough college-educated whites to tip either of them in 2016.

“As the battleground states that are important mirror the American population, you are going to see Democrats do better than they have historically,” Stewart said. “She is outperforming Obama right now in North Carolina, Florida and Virginia. I never would have said in those three Sunbelt states that she would be outperforming us.”

Comrade Trump has set the GOP back a decade, at least. Their outreach to non-whites is now going to have to start over.

Virginia? Hey stupid fuck every rich shit head liberal from the D.C. area moved/moving to Virginia to escape the high crime/high taxes/ high cost of living there.

Forum List

Back