The dumpster fire that was 2020...............................

ABikerSailor

Diamond Member
Aug 26, 2008
Newberry, SC
I was thinking of putting this in current events, but General Discussion seems a better place for this..............

2020 was a dumpster fire. Not only were there things that were bad for the country, but there were also things that were bad for me personally. COVID did a lot to weaken this country (businesses closing, people getting laid off, record numbers of people needing unemployment as well as food assistance), but in the last week of June, I lost my best friend and room mate. No, she didn't die from COVID, she died of other causes (she had cancer, COPD, diabetes among other things).

So, while 2020 was a dumpster fire of a year, I'm inviting people to list 1 thing they hated about this year, and 1 thing that was a blessing.

Me? It was a mixed bag in the same happening. I lost my best friend who I had lived with for over 15 years (some of you might know her better as Get It Right), who I will always miss, but she left me a house and a car so that I can keep going on.

My hate for this year? Losing my best friend Lois.

My blessing for this year? She left me a house and a car.

List what you hated most about this year, but also list something that was a bright spot for you.

It’s been a bad year
1) turmoil at work after I fire employee after employee!!
2) fake Soviet election
3) my mma coach has maybe quit and new coach sucks .I was enjoying that !!
4 obliteration of any friendship Sister then brother

Good. ?
1) I have made a good 30-40 grand on my mutual funds

I have never lost anyone because I don’t have anyone I care enough about besides only my mother

I have never lost anyone because I don’t have anyone I care enough about besides only my mother

Consider yourself lucky. I lost my mother at age 8 (when I became an orphan), and spent a lot of time in foster care.

However.........................I consider myself very lucky in meeting and living with Lois, she taught me a lot. And, the reason I cared so much about her is because she also cared about me. Not to sound mean or judgemental, but maybe if you would open yourself up to others, you just might be lucky enough to find someone you care deeply about.

Consider yourself lucky. I lost my mother at age 8 (when I became an orphan), and spent a lot of time in foster care.

However.........................I consider myself very lucky in meeting and living with Lois, she taught me a lot. And, the reason I cared so much about her is because she also cared about me. Not to sound mean or judgemental, but maybe if you would open yourself up to others, you just might be lucky enough to find someone you care deeply about.
I am very very sorry for your tragic loss !!
I cannot even comprehend what that feels like .

As for me :
I am a “ lost soul “ living in a lost city

What age was Lois ?

She was 10 years older than me (66). She became my friend shortly after I retired from the Navy back in '02, and helped me acclimate myself to civilian life. Fortunately, she was an Army brat who knew what military life was like and helped me become civilized again. And, because I was 10 years younger than her, she liked to jokingly refer to me as her "trophy husband", even though we were never married.

Hated-not being called home to my beach.
Loved-Abby, my stray wild cat that became my besty after only 6 months.
Hated-I had to put her down due to her illness after 7 months of being my besty.

Hated-not being called home to my beach.
Loved-Abby, my stray wild cat that became my besty after only 6 months.
Hated-I had to put her down due to her illness after 7 months of being my besty.

I feel ya. My best cat Cement went missing for two weeks, and I thought he was dead. He came back one afternoon, and that was the best day I'd had in a long time. When he broke his hip and I had to put him down, that was one of the worst days. I still miss that big ass black cat. Not only was he fierce (all the other cats in the neighborhood were scared shitless of him), but every time I went outside to sit on the stoop, he would always show up within 5 min, and sit next to me like he was guarding me and the house.

I was lucky though, I had around 6 years with Cement.

I was thinking of putting this in current events, but General Discussion seems a better place for this..............

2020 was a dumpster fire. Not only were there things that were bad for the country, but there were also things that were bad for me personally. COVID did a lot to weaken this country (businesses closing, people getting laid off, record numbers of people needing unemployment as well as food assistance), but in the last week of June, I lost my best friend and room mate. No, she didn't die from COVID, she died of other causes (she had cancer, COPD, diabetes among other things).

So, while 2020 was a dumpster fire of a year, I'm inviting people to list 1 thing they hated about this year, and 1 thing that was a blessing.

Me? It was a mixed bag in the same happening. I lost my best friend who I had lived with for over 15 years (some of you might know her better as Get It Right), who I will always miss, but she left me a house and a car so that I can keep going on.

List what you hated most about this year, but also list something that was a bright spot for you.

Wow, sorry for your loss.

Sounds like 2020 has been a bitch of a year for you too.

,o1 f.jpg

Wow, sorry for your loss.

Sounds like 2020 has been a bitch of a year for you too.

View attachment 434617

Yeah, 2020 sucked ass as far as I'm concerned. Hopefully it only gets better in 2021.

Hated- The fact that my kid is all grown up, and at 18 decided to go out and get an apartment with his girlfriend, so Whitmer's lockdown's can't keep them apart.

Empty nest syndrome is real, it is even worse when you have to do it in a whole new home, without any of your old stuff or photos. . . etc.

Loved - The fact that I raised a kid that is balancing a job, college, and taking control of his life at 18.

That flood that wiped out everything we owned kinda sucked too. . .

So, pretty much I hate and love the same thing. Life moves on, and the only sure thing is death, taxes and change. It is all about how we perceive the world, our thoughts are what determine what we make of life.

Hated- The fact that my kid is all grown up, and at 18 decided to go out and get an apartment with his girlfriend, so Whitmer's lockdown's can't keep them apart.

Empty nest syndrome is real, it is even worse when you have to do it in a whole new home, without any of your old stuff or photos. . . etc.

Loved - The fact that I raised a kid that is balancing a job, college, and taking control of his life at 18.

So, pretty much I hate and love the same thing. Life moves on, and the only sure thing is death, taxes and change. It is all about how we perceive the world, our thoughts are what determine what we make of life.

I like your attitude. And, you're right, what we think of our situation determines what happens next. While I'm still upset and sad about this year, the things my roomie taught me, and how she taught me to look for the good is what determines how my life goes next. I could be upset and dwell in my sadness, but Lois wouldn't want me to do that, so I look for the positive and try to work for better.

I like your attitude. And, you're right, what we think of our situation determines what happens next. While I'm still upset and sad about this year, the things my roomie taught me, and how she taught me to look for the good is what determines how my life goes next. I could be upset and dwell in my sadness, but Lois wouldn't want me to do that, so I look for the positive and try to work for better.

Wish I had your strength. Then again, I don't have a Lois. She was meant to be in your life.

Yanno......................I'm kinda happy with this thread. Almost a whole page, and yet nobody has seen fit to crap it up with politics.

Like I said, 2020 was a dumpster fire, but there were actually bright spots in it (and I've found one or two). If you post here, tell us what your low spot was (the thing you hated about this year), but also tell us what was a bright spot (something you are thankful for). Maybe we can all contribute or read this thread and find out we're not so different.

For me, 2019 was hard. Lost my mother and my only sister, who was 38 weeks pregnant.

2020 has been a breeze compared to that grief. I've lost no loved ones in 2020.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back