The Dubious Doctorate of Education

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
The Wall Street Journal recently published an opinion piece about the educational and professional bona fides of "Dr. Jill Biden."

Opinion | Is There a Doctor in the White House? Not if You Need an M.D. (Please excuse the paywall; you get the idea)

The reason for the article was at least partly a reaction to the Biden team continually using the title, "Dr." when mentioning the future FLOTUS, who is distinguished with a PhD in Education. Such formality - being referred to as "Doctor" - is generally not observed for people who are not physicians or other credentialed medical professionals. There is actually a formal policy by the Associated Press, followed by most other Media outlets, that non-medical doctorates are not mentioned unless they are relevant to a particular story.

On a related point, most law school grads have earned a Juris Doctor degree, but they (we) never use that title unless we are employed in a college or university, and being addressed in our teaching capacity.

So it is really a bit of excess pomposity to refer to Jill Biden as "Doctor," knowing that most Americans will assume she is a physician. I have even heard people speculate that Biden can live so lavishly on his "government" salary because his wife is a doctor. Not so fast there. One might also note that in Academe, a doctorate in education is right up there with ethnic studies and phys ed on the prestige ladder.

One might also notice with a good dose of cynicism that the Media rarely use the title of "Dr." for actual Republican physicians such as Dr. Ben Carson, Dr. Rand Paul, and others.

"Doctor Jill Biden"? Gimme a break.

The Wall Street Journal recently published an opinion piece about the educational and professional bona fides of "Dr. Jill Biden."

Opinion | Is There a Doctor in the White House? Not if You Need an M.D. (Please excuse the paywall; you get the idea)

The reason for the article was at least partly a reaction to the Biden team continually using the title, "Dr." when mentioning the future FLOTUS, who is distinguished with a PhD in Education. Such formality - being referred to as "Doctor" - is generally not observed for people who are not physicians or other credentialed medical professionals. There is actually a formal policy by the Associated Press, followed by most other Media outlets, that non-medical doctorates are not mentioned unless they are relevant to a particular story.

On a related point, most law school grads have earned a Juris Doctor degree, but they (we) never use that title unless we are employed in a college or university, and being addressed in our teaching capacity.

So it is really a bit of excess pomposity to refer to Jill Biden as "Doctor," knowing that most Americans will assume she is a physician. I have even heard people speculate that Biden can live so lavishly on his "government" salary because his wife is a doctor. Not so fast there. One might also note that in Academe, a doctorate in education is right up there with ethnic studies and phys ed on the prestige ladder.

One might also notice with a good dose of cynicism that the Media rarely use the title of "Dr." for actual Republican physicians such as Dr. Ben Carson, Dr. Rand Paul, and others.

Come on man, after having to change the bed sheets and diapers of farting Joe all day, she has to be at least a nurse's aid or cherry striper....

Others like Dr. Howard Dean?

This just in ---- the holder of a title ain't responsible for the ass-sumptions of observers.

Of course there are those who try to pass themselves off as a "Dr" without divulging that their title is honorary, not earned ------- like the author of the article in the OP....

Then again there are those who traffic on a title by leaving it intentionally vague... guess who this character is based on.

Honestly, if this is what you're down to making an issue of, you've not only been beaten, but you've lost...badly. She is a PHD. They are referred to by their colleagues as Doctor. This is not a new thing.
I wouldn't hold Rand Paul or Ben Carson up as shining examples of doctors. Given the bullshit I've heard come out of each of their mouths, I would guess they got their MD out of a Cheerios box...or in Carson's case, a package of Oreo's. :auiqs.jpg:

Honestly, if this is what you're down to making an issue of, you've not only been beaten, but you've lost...badly. She is a PHD. They are referred to by their colleagues as Doctor. This is not a new thing.
I wouldn't hold Rand Paul or Ben Carson up as shining examples of doctors. Given the bullshit I've heard come out of each of their mouths, I would guess they got their MD out of a Cheerios box...or in Carson's case, a package of Oreo's. :auiqs.jpg:
You just hate Carson because he's black.

You just hate Carson because he's black.
Most prog slaves hate Ben because he was a American Success story that most Americans can only dream of. To come from poverty in a single parent household to be a neural surgeon who separated congenial twins with a very high success rate, shame dumb ass blacks(i know redundant statement) cant follow such a great man. Nope they are out there murdering each other, all for a pair of Nike tennis shoes....

This entire thing baffles me. Jill Biden completed the lengthy and rigorous course work to get her Ed.D. That earns her the title of Doctor.

Why the harsh argument about this. It has been going on since the 13th century. Why is it now an issue?
Because Oblama wore a tan suit.

Everyone knows that this is a long-standing custom. This is so petty.

I don't know why law grads don't use it. They (we) get the occasional "Esq." though. But I do have a friend who calls me "doctor" occasionally. It's a joke.

Why do right-wingers get so hung up on trivial stuff?

…and the reprehensible right continues its equally reprehensible attack on the soon to be First Lady.

We should NOT worry about people who actually earned a doctorate and who like being called "Dr."

Personally, I will use every opportunity to refer to "Dr. Biden."

But we SHOULD be very concerned about people who are not able to earn a doctorate (or any other degree) because they failed the exams but who are nevertheless awarded a degree because the university wants to prove its devotion to "diversity." Such a practice can put people's lives at risk when its comes to medicine, engineering, etc.

This entire thing baffles me. Jill Biden completed the lengthy and rigorous course work to get her Ed.D. That earns her the title of Doctor.

Why the harsh argument about this. It has been going on since the 13th century. Why is it now an issue?
Yeah, when CNN and other Lame Stream Media had Doctor Ben Carson on their shows, they would just use Ben Carson, not Doctor. Fuck Jill and her sleazy creepy husband.

Yeah, when CNN and other Lame Stream Media had Doctor Ben Carson on their shows, they would just use Ben Carson, not Doctor. Fuck Jill and her sleazy creepy husband.

Then CNN was wrong and being assholes. Not hard to see.

she is a professor, at a University, that has earned her Doctorate.... and is properly addressed as doctor.

even the op writer says lawyers teaching at a university, are properly addressed as Doctor So and So.

the wall street journal op, was just a hit piece, and disrespectful to women in general.

if she were a man, the piece on calling her Doctor Biden wouldnt have been writen at all....

It is the lack of education then that you should be more upset with than the fact that Jill Biden uses the Doctor term behind her name ( Should not be in front ever ) because of her Doctorate in Education...

Also those knocking her career path shouldn’t and should be proud the Future First Lady is so well educated, but alas partisan hacks will complain just to complain...

In the end those complaining about this should educate the public and not scorn her but again as I wrote partisan hacks need something to complain about and if this is your major hissy fit of the day then the news cycle is slow!

I don't know why law grads don't use it. They (we) get the occasional "Esq." though. But I do have a friend who calls me "doctor" occasionally. It's a joke.

Most Repubs barely have a GED.

Because Jill Biden is Joe Biden wife, so it is a new issue to whine about and show how society is truly ignorant!

Most Repubs barely have a GED.

Hey, that is more than you have and look at you and how smart ass you sound!

she is a professor, at a University, that has earned her Doctorate.... and is properly addressed as doctor.

even the op writer says lawyers teaching at a university, are properly addressed as Doctor So and So.

the wall street journal op, was just a hit piece, and disrespectful to women in general.

if she were a man, the piece on calling her Doctor Biden wouldnt have been writen at all....

I think it would have because of the fact she is a Democrat and some on the right have to take swipes at something that is not even an issue...

It is more about being a Democrat and being married to Joe, well that is how I look at it...

Forum List

Back