The Dubious Doctorate of Education

... they seem to want their daughters to be mothers of at least two by the time they are twenty and trying to support these children with a salary from working at a diner, and their sons be laboring at odd jobs to support this stupid project. These republican morons want to rob their kids of their futures and chances for happiness, while stealing from the rest of the world what these children could contribute to the progress of human kind.

Do you have a problem with people marrying and having children? Would you rob young women of this "choice"? Why is a young man working to support his family a "stupid project"? You speak of "the progress of human kind (you probably meant to say 'mankind'). Do you realize for such progress to take place there has to actually be a "human kind"? Where do you think that comes from? Do you think that new humans are generated from birthing pods at ivy league colleges?

You really are bizarre. Of course I don't have a problem with people marrying and having children. Moreover, it seems that humans are not being remiss in terms of producing babies. How dumb are you? And I reference "human kind" because humans come in two physical sexes, which, laughingly, is a concept that you are tacitly recognizing.

The teenage years and years of early adulthood are a time for people to develop their talents and get the education that will allow them to contribute their talents to society in many different areas. Two 22-year-olds caring for babies probably can't be preparing themselves simultaneously to become doctors, scientific researchers, dentists, lawyers, diplomats, educators, historians, architects, and all the other people that are necessary for society to be successful. It takes years of preparation and education for people to be able to provide the services that you need every day. If you have a tooth ache, would you be happy if there was not a dentist available? If you have a heart attack, wouldn't you want to be treated by trained medical personnel?

Do you actually believe that professional people do not make babies? They do, and they make enough $ to afford to raise them. They do not struggle to survive and provide their kids with the necessities each day. Why would you want people to struggle each day of their lives?

..... Two 22-year-olds caring for babies probably can't be preparing themselves simultaneously to become doctors, scientific researchers, dentists, lawyers, diplomats, educators, historians, architects.....

And of course no one who isn't one of those could possibly have a meaningful life. :rolleyes:

....They do, and they make enough $ to afford to raise them. They do not struggle to survive and provide their kids with the necessities each day. Why would you want people to struggle each day of their lives?

So, anyone who isn't wealthy and working in a white collar profession is suffering a pitiful and meaningless existence and would be better off dead. Is that your position? That sure as hell is what it sounds like.

The Wall Street Journal recently published an opinion piece about the educational and professional bona fides of "Dr. Jill Biden."

Opinion | Is There a Doctor in the White House? Not if You Need an M.D. (Please excuse the paywall; you get the idea)

The reason for the article was at least partly a reaction to the Biden team continually using the title, "Dr." when mentioning the future FLOTUS, who is distinguished with a PhD in Education. Such formality - being referred to as "Doctor" - is generally not observed for people who are not physicians or other credentialed medical professionals. There is actually a formal policy by the Associated Press, followed by most other Media outlets, that non-medical doctorates are not mentioned unless they are relevant to a particular story.

On a related point, most law school grads have earned a Juris Doctor degree, but they (we) never use that title unless we are employed in a college or university, and being addressed in our teaching capacity.

So it is really a bit of excess pomposity to refer to Jill Biden as "Doctor," knowing that most Americans will assume she is a physician. I have even heard people speculate that Biden can live so lavishly on his "government" salary because his wife is a doctor. Not so fast there. One might also note that in Academe, a doctorate in education is right up there with ethnic studies and phys ed on the prestige ladder.

One might also notice with a good dose of cynicism that the Media rarely use the title of "Dr." for actual Republican physicians such as Dr. Ben Carson, Dr. Rand Paul, and others.

"Doctor Jill Biden"? Gimme a break.
I have family members with this Doctorate...
They are morons.
They are financially successful because they work in universities.

... they seem to want their daughters to be mothers of at least two by the time they are twenty and trying to support these children with a salary from working at a diner, and their sons be laboring at odd jobs to support this stupid project. These republican morons want to rob their kids of their futures and chances for happiness, while stealing from the rest of the world what these children could contribute to the progress of human kind.

Do you have a problem with people marrying and having children? Would you rob young women of this "choice"? Why is a young man working to support his family a "stupid project"? You speak of "the progress of human kind (you probably meant to say 'mankind'). Do you realize for such progress to take place there has to actually be a "human kind"? Where do you think that comes from? Do you think that new humans are generated from birthing pods at ivy league colleges?

You really are bizarre. Of course I don't have a problem with people marrying and having children. Moreover, it seems that humans are not being remiss in terms of producing babies. How dumb are you? And I reference "human kind" because humans come in two physical sexes, which, laughingly, is a concept that you are tacitly recognizing.

The teenage years and years of early adulthood are a time for people to develop their talents and get the education that will allow them to contribute their talents to society in many different areas. Two 22-year-olds caring for babies probably can't be preparing themselves simultaneously to become doctors, scientific researchers, dentists, lawyers, diplomats, educators, historians, architects, and all the other people that are necessary for society to be successful. It takes years of preparation and education for people to be able to provide the services that you need every day. If you have a tooth ache, would you be happy if there was not a dentist available? If you have a heart attack, wouldn't you want to be treated by trained medical personnel?

Do you actually believe that professional people do not make babies? They do, and they make enough $ to afford to raise them. They do not struggle to survive and provide their kids with the necessities each day. Why would you want people to struggle each day of their lives?
Mankind is the species. Man, specifically with man and woman as gender-based subspecies. People who view that as sexist are petty and have their own sexism issues.
Babies are better off having a parent around them in their early years. The economic hardship this can create is why legal marriage and its tax breaks, etc., were created.

The Wall Street Journal recently published an opinion piece about the educational and professional bona fides of "Dr. Jill Biden."

Opinion | Is There a Doctor in the White House? Not if You Need an M.D. (Please excuse the paywall; you get the idea)

The reason for the article was at least partly a reaction to the Biden team continually using the title, "Dr." when mentioning the future FLOTUS, who is distinguished with a PhD in Education. Such formality - being referred to as "Doctor" - is generally not observed for people who are not physicians or other credentialed medical professionals. There is actually a formal policy by the Associated Press, followed by most other Media outlets, that non-medical doctorates are not mentioned unless they are relevant to a particular story.

On a related point, most law school grads have earned a Juris Doctor degree, but they (we) never use that title unless we are employed in a college or university, and being addressed in our teaching capacity.

So it is really a bit of excess pomposity to refer to Jill Biden as "Doctor," knowing that most Americans will assume she is a physician. I have even heard people speculate that Biden can live so lavishly on his "government" salary because his wife is a doctor. Not so fast there. One might also note that in Academe, a doctorate in education is right up there with ethnic studies and phys ed on the prestige ladder.

One might also notice with a good dose of cynicism that the Media rarely use the title of "Dr." for actual Republican physicians such as Dr. Ben Carson, Dr. Rand Paul, and others.

Honestly, if this is what you're down to making an issue of, you've not only been beaten, but you've lost...badly. She is a PHD. They are referred to by their colleagues as Doctor. This is not a new thing.
I wouldn't hold Rand Paul or Ben Carson up as shining examples of doctors. Given the bullshit I've heard come out of each of their mouths, I would guess they got their MD out of a Cheerios box...or in Carson's case, a package of Oreo's. :auiqs.jpg:
You just hate Carson because he's black.
Not to mention brilliant and accomplished. It doesn't take a brain surgeon
Oh wait. Dr Carson is a brain surgeon.

she is a professor, at a University, that has earned her Doctorate.... and is properly addressed as doctor.

even the op writer says lawyers teaching at a university, are properly addressed as Doctor So and So.

the wall street journal op, was just a hit piece, and disrespectful to women in general.

if she were a man, the piece on calling her Doctor Biden wouldnt have been writen at all....
A teacher at a community college

This entire thing baffles me. Jill Biden completed the lengthy and rigorous course work to get her Ed.D. That earns her the title of Doctor.

Why the harsh argument about this. It has been going on since the 13th century. Why is it now an issue?
Yeah, when CNN and other Lame Stream Media had Doctor Ben Carson on their shows, they would just use Ben Carson, not Doctor. Fuck Jill and her sleazy creepy husband.

Were they interviewing Carson as a doctor, or as HUD head?
Is Jill Biden gonna doctor, or is she gonna First Lady?

...Continually call her doctor Biden my ass. Another phony scandal for the dupes.....

This entire thing baffles me. Jill Biden completed the lengthy and rigorous course work to get her Ed.D. That earns her the title of Doctor.

Why the harsh argument about this. It has been going on since the 13th century. Why is it now an issue?
Because she is not a medical doctor-----who can be useful. She is just a college happy moron----------

She is a teacher. If you don't think that is useful I can't help your delusions.
Psss... Psss.. I'll let you in a big secret....
Homeschooled children with no "teacher" do better academically than those students taught in public schools with PHD teachers.
So yeah...she is worthless other than either babysitter if you believe she wasn't in on the Biden pedophilia. I am thinking she likely a procurer though given the stunts of the rest of the biden clan. How could she not know and not act to protect the kids.

I'm sure Mr. Unk will correct me on this, but it is my impression, based on having several teacher acquaintances who have Masters Degrees and some of them have doctorates, that the Education track is one of minimal academic rigor.

The reasons are not well known, but are easily verified. In most states, teachers are required to accumulate a number of "graduate" credits in order to obtain permanent certification, so colleges compete for these students. The way they compete is to offer Masters Degrees to these teachers with just a few credits more than they are required to have for permanent certification. So they get, say 30 credits for permanent certification, and they can get a Masters in Education or Counseling or something similar with just a couple more graduate courses. And none of these courses are academically rigorous. Once they have their Masters, as teachers, they get a couple more bucks in salary.

A similar track is available for a Doctorate, which is why people such as Bill Cosby and Jill Biden pursue that degree. A typical PhD requires some combination of comprehensive exams and a thesis. Parenthetically, Tucker Carlson did a short story on Jill Bi.....sorry...Doctor Jill Biden's Doctoral Thesis, which is available on line. It is a joke. Don't look for esoteric "Education" jargon in that document. It has all the intellectual sophistication of a Donald Trump campaign speech.

Doctor Biden indeed.

I'm sure Mr. Unk will correct me on this, but it is my impression, based on having several teacher acquaintances who have Masters Degrees and some of them have doctorates, that the Education track is one of minimal academic rigor.

Don't ask me. My masters degree is not in education. I can say that some of the most talented educators I've ever met do hold degrees in Education, while others do not.

Many of the said courses have titles that start with "Methods..." It's a sure sign of an empty, pointless class, intended merely to accumulate three credits and collect the associated tuition payment.

I took a few undergrad courses in the Education area, thinking that, who knows...I might want to teach sometime in the future. Never happened.

As we have "discussed" previously, there is no academic area of expertise associated with "Education." If you study History, Psychology, Accounting, English Lit, or almost any other subject matter, there is a quantifiable body of knowledge associated with that area of study; if you learn it you succeed, and if you fail to learn it, you fail. There is no such body of knowledge associated with Education, which is why advanced degrees in Education carry less weight in Academe.

If I were, say, a member of a local school board looking at resumes of applicants, I would look at advanced degrees in an academic discipline (History, Mathematics, Chemistry, etc.) much more favorably than an advanced degree in Education. And I'll wager you would too.

It's so funny...you can have a Doctor of Divinity...and no one questions it...but once you have a woman who happens to be a Democrat, with a Doctorate in Education (seems more valuable than divinity) and everyone is on her criticizing it. All of a sudden! Just like that!

Forum List

Back