The curious "radio-silence" of USMB's Trumpeteers

320 Years of History

Gold Member
Nov 1, 2015
Washington, D.C.
When reading the remarks of Trumpeteers, as with listening to Trump's own, we find no paucity of unfounded assertions, outright lies, utter fabrications, incessant prevarication, deflection and logical fallacies. It's annoying. It makes having anything resembling a substantive discussion all but impossible. That is what it is, but I don't expect those puerile practices to wane soon or after the election, regardless of the outcome.

What is truly mortifyingly appalling is that when confronted with a robust assessment of the merit and impacts of Trump's economic policy pronouncements, Trumpeteers have nothing to say. Now I don't mean "nothing" in the sense of equally robust refutations of the analysis, for I hardly expect that anyone other than highly trained and qualified economists can do so credibly. What I mean is "nothing" in the context of integrity...Namely the integrity to recant their prior assertions about how "this or that" aspect of Trump's policies will be good for America and American's financial and career prospects.

One might ask why would one retract and revise one's public statements in such a situation? Well, because new information has come about that shows one, at the very least, to have been mistaken. It's simply the right thing to do if one is a person of integrity. There are a few folks about who've shown themselves to have the strength of character to do that when it's clear they have misspoken or been wrong.
Those are just a few examples. I can't find each I've seen, but I can say I don't often see folks assert they were in error.

This election season, the U.S. economy, jobs, and the candidate's stated approaches and programs that affect them are, arguably, the most important factor voters will consider in choosing a candidate. Yet in response to the critical analysis recently released, what has there been? "Radio silence."

How does one completely ignore remarks like these:
  • [Trump's proposals are] fiscally unsound. His tax and spending proposals will result in very large deficits and a much higher debt load
  • Employment will continue to decline and unemployment will rise into the next presidential term.
  • Mr. Trump’s economic policy positions under almost any scenario is that the U.S. economy will be more isolated and diminished.
  • Employment barely budges in the first two years, and over his four years as president just over 2.8 million jobs are created. This is about half as many jobs as would be created if there were no changes to current economic policy.
  • Long-run economic growth also falls short in this scenario. Over the next decade, real GDP is expected to grow by 1.7% per annum compared with just more than 2% under current law.
This isn't just stuff that's made up, yet where are the resounding demands from Trumpeteers? Can they honestly believe outcomes such as those noted above are really going to "make America great again?" Is "making America great again" even what they truly want? Do they even know what they truly want other than having a double-talking television "reality" show star in the White House?

Last edited:
When reading the remarks of Trumpeteers, as with listening to Trump's own, we find no paucity of unfounded assertions, outright lies, utter fabrications, incessant prevarication, deflection and logical fallacies. It's annoying. It makes having anything resembling a substantive discussion all but impossible. That is what it is, but I don't expect those puerile practices to wane soon or after the election, regardless of the outcome.

What is truly mortifyingly appalling is that when confronted with a robust assessment of the merit and impacts of Trump's economic policy pronouncements, Trumpeteers have nothing to say. Now I don't mean "nothing" in the sense of equally robust refutations of the analysis, for I hardly expect that anyone other than highly trained and qualified economists can do so credibly. What I mean is "nothing" in the context of integrity...Namely the integrity to recant their prior assertions about how "this or that" aspect of Trump's policies will be good for America and American's financial and career prospects.

One might ask why would one retract and revise one's public statements in such a situation? Well, because new information has come about that shows one, at the very least, to have been mistaken. It's simply the right thing to do if one is a person of integrity. There are a few folks about who've shown themselves to have the strength of character to do that when it's clear they have misspoken or been wrong.
Those are just a few examples. I can't find each I've seen, but I can say I don't often see folks assert they were in error.

This election season, the U.S. economy, jobs, and the candidate's stated approaches and programs that affect them are, arguably, the most important factor voters will consider in choosing a candidate. Yet in response to the critical analysis recently released, what has there been? "Radio silence."

• [Trump's proposals are] fiscally unsound. His tax and spending proposals will result in very large deficits and a much higher debt load
  • Employment will continue to decline and unemployment will rise into the next presidential term.
  • Mr. Trump’s economic policy positions under almost any scenario is that the U.S. economy will be more isolated and diminished.
  • Employment barely budges in the first two years, and over his four years as president just over 2.8 million jobs are created. This is about half as many jobs as would be created if there were no changes to current economic policy.
  • Long-run economic growth also falls short in this scenario. Over the next decade, real GDP is expected to grow by 1.7% per annum compared with just more than 2% under current law.
This isn't just stuff that's made up, yet where are the resounding demands from Trumpeteers? Can they honestly believe outcomes such as those noted above are really going to "make America great again?" Is "making America great again" even what they truly want? Do they even know what they truly want other than having a double-talking television "reality" show star in the White House?

Trumpeteers are driven by fear, ignorance, and hate.

The only one I've heard of with a trumpet is standing on a rooftop and it IS a damn strange looking horn. But the kids seem to love hearing it. They say it sort of "whispers" to them. Political advice, of course, but never, nay not ever, shouted.

No stranger, I guess than:

You will note ALL of them say CDZ which means you were to COWARDLY to come out in the open. Now go back to your play pen.

Don't vote for him,its pretty simple problem you got there bub ,don't make it hard for yourself.

Are you talking about people here or reactions of "experts" and such we hear on the news/read in the paper?

Either way, I have always been under the impression that economists are frequently at odds with each other about what effect this or that will have on the long term economy. Probably some Trump supporters believe Moody's analysis is wrong.
Now, you have said that economic stuff is your bailiwick, so to you it might seem as clear as One Fish, Two Fish that the Moody's analysis is 100% indisputably on point, but the majority of Trump's supporters don't know that, for sure. They'll leave it to him to figure it out. Maybe the RNC is quickly tutoring the Donald on his mistakes, or maybe they just disagree with Moody's.

Hildabeast supporters are just fucking stupid

A cult of personality arises when an individual uses mass media, propaganda, or other methods to create an idealized, heroic, and at times worshipful image, often through unquestioning flattery and praise. Sociologist Max Weber developed a tripartite classification of authority; the cult of personality holds parallels with what Weber defined as "charismatic authority"

Hildabeast supporters are just fucking stupid

3CCCD6a.png

The only one I've heard of with a trumpet is standing on a rooftop and it IS a damn strange looking horn. But the kids seem to love hearing it. They say it sort of "whispers" to them. Political advice, of course, but never, nay not ever, shouted.

No stranger, I guess than:

guess you didn't get the memo... that's what you all are called & there's even swag out there to be bought. lol...no doubt made in china or mexico.

im_a_donald_trumpeteer_large_tote_bag-r3425b83d3de64029a6a378b250261b85_v9w72_8byvr_1024.jpg

A cult of personality arises when an individual uses mass media, propaganda, or other methods to create an idealized, heroic, and at times worshipful image, often through unquestioning flattery and praise. Sociologist Max Weber developed a tripartite classification of authority; the cult of personality holds parallels with what Weber defined as "charismatic authority"

But charisma only wins people’s attention. Once you have their attention, you have to have something to tell them.
― Daniel Quinn, Ishmael: An Adventure of the Mind and Spirit

Yes, but charismatic authority derives from and appeals to emotion, not reason. Specifically, it asks audience members, receivers of a speaker's message, to accept the speaker, in this case Trump, based on his ability to make folks feel positively about him or his ideas. There are a number of rhetorical tactics for doing that, and skilled marketers use all of them, and well they should.

Charisma alone, however, is insufficient. It is rightly used to amplify genuine, credible and rigorously developed ideas that have actual and that can withstand critical analysis. It is fallaciously used in place of that substance. As goes his economic proposals, Trump has used his charisma to gain support for his candidacy, but "there's no 'there' there." Trump has for all intents and purposes turned this election cycle into a mead hall in which he is the bard and, drunk and happy, Trumpeteers feast on his every word.

Emperor_Clothes_01.jpg

It's one thing when the "emperor" has delusional ideas of his grandeur and everyone else can see it for what it is. It's wholly another when those around him, his supporters don't, can't or won't.

I could deny it if I liked. I could deny anything if I liked.
― Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest

Are you talking about people here or reactions of "experts" and such we hear on the news/read in the paper?

Both, really, but limiting the discussion to one or the other is fine too.

Probably some Trump supporters believe Moody's analysis is wrong.

I'm fine with their believing it's wrong. If they do, by all means, I'd love to see their comparable analysis and methodology that provides a legitimate basis for their disbelief in Moody's analysis.

it might seem as clear as One Fish, Two Fish that the Moody's analysis is 100% indisputably on point, but the majority of Trump's supporters don't know that, for sure. They'll leave it to him to figure it out.

...So much for the Reagan doctrine of "trust, but verify." Integrity is something one should have not only morally but also cognitively.

Just a little reminder everything being said about Trump today cult of personality, charisma, style. flash, no substance was said about Obama in 2008 by and large by the same people now backing Trump and the same people going after Trump on this are also by and large the same ones who backed Obama in 2008. Just a little something for all concerned to consider.

Forum List

Back