The Children Of Christian Fundamentalists Are Dying ..Their Parents Think Only God Can Cure Them

The Children Of Christian Fundamentalists Are Dying Because Their Parents Think Only God Can Cure Their Illnesses (VIDEO)
March 9, 2016 8:29 am ·

As a former career child protective services investigator, I occasionally came across cases of religiously motivated medical neglect- mostly involving immunization issues. However, even as a practitioner in this difficult and sometimes controversial field, I had no idea how serious and widespread the problem is in some places. In addition, I never saw a case that comes close to being as horrific as the one described in the linked article and video that is the topic of this thread.

While granting religious exemptions is primarily the purview of the states, the Federal government plays an important role. Therefore, I will be posing a question to all of the candidates for president on what so far has not been, but should be, an election year issue. Yes, I did say all in that both parties are equally guilty of allowing this to continue. However, it would be interesting to see how the answers from the Democrats contrast with the answers from the candidates of the party that is obsessed with religious liberty. Case in point:

Rep. Christy Perry, who said:

“This is about religious beliefs, the belief God is in charge of whether they live, and God is in charge of whether they die,”

“This is about where they go for eternity.”

More about that mentality later.

First, the case:

The most high profile case in recent times was that of Herbert and Catherine Schaible. The Pennsylvanian were jailed in 2014 for allowing their 8-month-old son Brandon to die a slow and painful death from diarrhea, rather than seek medical attention. They argued their religious beliefs stipulate that illness is a sign of ‘spiritual lack’, and only prayer can cure it.

The father, Herbert Schaible, defending their decision, said:

“We believe in divine healing, the Jesus shed blood for our healing and that he died on the cross to break the devil’s power,”

What makes the case all the more shocking, is that the couple were already on probation for the involuntary manslaughter of another child. Their two-year-old child died of pneumonia in 2009 after they refused to seek medical help.

The couple were found guilty of involuntary manslaughter for the 2009 death, and sentenced to 10 years probation. A condition of their probation was that they sought medical attention if any of their surviving children became sick. Yet, within that probationary period, the couple allowed another child to die from a treatable illness. This time, their eight-

Source: The Children Of Christian Fundamentalists Are Dying Because Their Parents Think Only God Can Cure Their Illnesses (VIDEO)

And…in my opinion, the very worst part of this is that they killed two children and had the second one who died in their care after being convicted in the first death! In my experience in the field, that is unconscionable and ludicrous. There is no indication that they were under supervision by protective services which would be a very minimal requirement in order to retain custody.

Let’s have a look at an overview of the issue, laws state by state, data on injuries to children because of religion-based medical neglect and more http://childrenshealthcare.org/?page_id=24#Data

As you can see, and as I stated, it is a widespread and serious problem. So while this couple was prosecuted because Pennsylvania is not one of the 16 states that have religious defenses to felony crimes against children, residents of other states may only face civil penalties or misdemeanor charges, or suffer no consequences at all

http://childrenshealthcare.org/?page_id=24#Exemptions

Now for the all-important role of the Federal Government:

C. Federal policy

In response to Christian Science church lobbying, the federal government began requiring states to enact religious exemptions from child abuse and neglect charges in 1974. CHILD founders Rita and Douglas Swan lobbied for several years against this regulation. The federal government rescinded it in 1983.

In 1996, however, Congress enacted a law stating that the federal Child Abuse Prevention and Treatment Act (CAPTA) did not include “a Federal requirement that a parent or guardian provide a child any medical service or treatment against the religious beliefs of the parent or guardian.” 42 USC 5106i Furthermore, Sen. Dan Coats, R-Indiana, and Congressman Bill Goodling, R-Pennsylvania, claimed during floor discussion that parents have a First Amendment right to withhold medical care from children. http://childrenshealthcare.org/?page_id=24#Exemptions

And that folks, is where it now stands! In 2003 CAPTA was reauthorized with no change to the religious exemptions although several organizations called upon Congress to remove the exemption, including the United Methodist Church, National Association of Medical Examiners, Justice for Children, and the National Child Abuse Coalition, which consists of about thirty national organizations working to prevent child abuse.

So, to those who are pushing religious freedom, usually in the context of "another issues" ....how far are you willing to push it?

I hope that at least some others out there feel the outrage that I do!
The OP is a liar. They are not Christian nor are they following what the Bible says. Even Luke, one of the writers of one of the New Testament books, was a medical doctor.
How the hell am I a liar? They identify as Christians and admit that what they did was based on their Christian God. The issue is the use of faith in a perverted and harmful way. That happened. That is a fact.
They are not fudamentalists. You added that lie in order to deceive. No where in the Bible does it support not going to a doctor. As I said earlier, Luke was a medical doctor. They are just cultists, just as agnostics and atheists who make up their own beliefs.

The article states that they are Fundamentalists big guy. Did you notice that. Personally, I do not give a crap what they are and I am not singling out Fundamentalists or any Christians. My argument has been that it is wrong to withhold medical care by any parent for any reason and that there should be not religious exemptions. You harping on this point is just a red herring intended to avoid the real issue. Logical Fallacies abounding here

The courts have consistently ruled that parents do not have a constitutional right to harm children. The First Amendment to the U.S. Constitution protects religious freedom, but does not confer a right to abuse or neglect children. The leading case is Prince v. Massachusetts, 321 U.S. 158 (1944), in which the U. S. Supreme Court ruled, “The right to practice religion freely does not include liberty to expose the community or child to communicable disease, or the latter to ill health or death. . . . Parents may be free to become martyrs themselves. But it does not follow they are free, in identical circumstances, to make martyrs of their children before they have reached the age of full and legal discretion when they can make that choice for themselves.

Religion-related medical neglect -
Thank you! I have to wonder then why this has not been used to toss out all of those religious exemption laws that I cited? I guess no one has pushed the issue yet

The Children Of Christian Fundamentalists Are Dying Because Their Parents Think Only God Can Cure Their Illnesses (VIDEO)

As a former career child protective services investigator, I occasionally came across cases of religiously motivated medical neglect- mostly involving immunization issues. However, even as a practitioner in this difficult and sometimes controversial field, I had no idea how serious and widespread the problem is in some places. In addition, I never saw a case that comes close to being as horrific as the one described in the linked article and video that is the topic of this thread.

While granting religious exemptions is primarily the purview of the states, the Federal government plays an important role. Therefore, I will be posing a question to all of the candidates for president on what so far has not been, but should be, an election year issue. Yes, I did say all in that both parties are equally guilty of allowing this to continue. However, it would be interesting to see how the answers from the Democrats contrast with the answers from the candidates of the party that is obsessed with religious liberty. Case in point:

“This is about religious beliefs, the belief God is in charge of whether they live, and God is in charge of whether they die,”

First, the case:

The most high profile case in recent times was that of Herbert and Catherine Schaible. The Pennsylvanian were jailed in 2014 for allowing their 8-month-old son Brandon to die a slow and painful death from diarrhea, rather than seek medical attention. They argued their religious beliefs stipulate that illness is a sign of ‘spiritual lack’, and only prayer can cure it.

“We believe in divine healing, the Jesus shed blood for our healing and that he died on the cross to break the devil’s power,”

What makes the case all the more shocking, is that the couple were already on probation for the involuntary manslaughter of another child. Their two-year-old child died of pneumonia in 2009 after they refused to seek medical help.

The couple were found guilty of involuntary manslaughter for the 2009 death, and sentenced to 10 years probation. A condition of their probation was that they sought medical attention if any of their surviving children became sick. Yet, within that probationary period, the couple allowed another child to die from a treatable illness. This time, their eight-

Source: The Children Of Christian Fundamentalists Are Dying Because Their Parents Think Only God Can Cure Their Illnesses (VIDEO)

And…in my opinion, the very worst part of this is that they killed two children and had the second one who died in their care after being convicted in the first death! In my experience in the field, that is unconscionable and ludicrous. There is no indication that they were under supervision by protective services which would be a very minimal requirement in order to retain custody.

Let’s have a look at an overview of the issue, laws state by state, data on injuries to children because of religion-based medical neglect and more http://childrenshealthcare.org/?page_id=24#Data

As you can see, and as I stated, it is a widespread and serious problem. So while this couple was prosecuted because Pennsylvania is not one of the 16 states that have religious defenses to felony crimes against children, residents of other states may only face civil penalties or misdemeanor charges, or suffer no consequences at all

C. Federal policy

In response to Christian Science church lobbying, the federal government began requiring states to enact religious exemptions from child abuse and neglect charges in 1974. CHILD founders Rita and Douglas Swan lobbied for several years against this regulation. The federal government rescinded it in 1983.

In 1996, however, Congress enacted a law stating that the federal Child Abuse Prevention and Treatment Act (CAPTA) did not include “a Federal requirement that a parent or guardian provide a child any medical service or treatment against the religious beliefs of the parent or guardian.” 42 USC 5106i Furthermore, Sen. Dan Coats, R-Indiana, and Congressman Bill Goodling, R-Pennsylvania, claimed during floor discussion that parents have a First Amendment right to withhold medical care from children. http://childrenshealthcare.org/?page_id=24#Exemptions

And that folks, is where it now stands! In 2003 CAPTA was reauthorized with no change to the religious exemptions although several organizations called upon Congress to remove the exemption, including the United Methodist Church, National Association of Medical Examiners, Justice for Children, and the National Child Abuse Coalition, which consists of about thirty national organizations working to prevent child abuse.

So, to those who are pushing religious freedom, usually in the context of "another issues" ....how far are you willing to push it?

The OP is a liar. They are not Christian nor are they following what the Bible says. Even Luke, one of the writers of one of the New Testament books, was a medical doctor.
How the hell am I a liar? They identify as Christians and admit that what they did was based on their Christian God. The issue is the use of faith in a perverted and harmful way. That happened. That is a fact.
They are not fudamentalists. You added that lie in order to deceive. No where in the Bible does it support not going to a doctor. As I said earlier, Luke was a medical doctor. They are just cultists, just as agnostics and atheists who make up their own beliefs.

The article states that they are Fundamentalists big guy. Did you notice that. Personally, I do not give a crap what they are and I am not singling out Fundamentalists or any Christians. My argument has been that it is wrong to withhold medical care by any parent for any reason and that there should be not religious exemptions. You harping on this point is just a red herring intended to avoid the real issue. Logical Fallacies abounding here
Not my problem you quote a rag that lies to attack Christianity. Which was your goal.

I think some people cite religious objections to immunizations when truth is that it's just laziness, being unwilling to help their children. The amouint of dental neglect and medical neglect my adopted children suffer has arisen out of bio mom and dad's drug priorities.
You think whatever you like and you can even call believing every tom dick and harry that wants to shove a needle in small children to further their agenda and buff up their bank accounts but it does not make it truth.
Get in line when the vaccines are passed out but leave other peoples children alone.
Vaccine mafia earns 'F' in science: Australian Health Minister utters the most insanely stupid anti-science statement ever recorded... 'no risks in vaccinating children'
600 strains of an aerosolized thought control vaccine already tested on humans; deployed via air, food and water

So you are presenting an anti vaccination rant and an absurd conspiracy theory to prove what, exactly? That Fundi parents are not harming and killing their children? That it is OK and justified for them to do so? Actually, your post has absolutely nothing to do with the points that I made, or am I missing something here. I can't even count the logical fallacies in play here:

Appeal to ignorance
Definition: In the appeal to ignorance, the arguer basically says, “Look, there’s no conclusive evidence on the issue at hand. Therefore, you should accept my conclusion on this issue.”

Red herring
Definition: Partway through an argument, the arguer goes off on a tangent, raising a side issue that distracts the audience from what’s really at stake. Often, the arguer never returns to the original issue.

Weak analogy
Definition: Many arguments rely on an analogy between two or more objects, ideas, or situations. If the two things that are being compared aren’t really alike in the relevant respects, the analogy is a weak one, and the argument that relies on it commits the fallacy of weak analogy.

Ad ignorantiam
The argument from ignorance basically states that a specific belief is true because we don’t know that it isn’t true. Defenders of extrasensory perception, for example, will often overemphasize how much we do not know about the human brain. It is therefore possible, they argue, that the brain may be capable of transmitting signals at a distance.

Non-Sequitur
In Latin this term translates to “doesn’t follow”. This refers to an argument in which the conclusion does not necessarily follow from the premises. In other words, a logical connection is implied where none exists.

There are probably others, but you get the idea. Please learn how to debate a topic.

I am saying doctors do not always have the answers. Just because you have a hatred in you does not make you an expert for another person or their children. My child was pronounce fully brain dead when he was not yet two years old. The doctors said if the child survived the child would be a complete and total vegetable. Your attack against all whom you believe have faith in God who you apparently give no credence to does not make it so. My child did survive and was not a vegetable as medical experts stated that according to their testing would be regardless of the child's survival. That was almost forty years ago and that child grew up to have children of their own. Giving no hope whatsoever the experts option would have been to unplug all of the machines that kept him alive as there was no brain activity whatsoever. You don't have all the answers no matter how bright you think you are.

First, the case:

Not my problem you quote a rag that lies to attack Christianity. Which was your goal.

You can believe what ever the hell you want about what these people are or what my goals are. You choosing to wallow in ignorance and to run away from the real is NOT MY PROBLEM. Deal with it, bubba.

The vast majority of Christians, and even of “fundamentalist Christians”, have no problem at all with the use of modern medicine.

The opposition to medicine is a characteristic of a few small, extreme sects, of which “Christian Scientists” are probably the most prominent.
Perhaps, but that does not mean that this is not a problem. The policy must be changed at the Federal level. One dead or seriously injured child because of this stupidity is one to many. Do you agree?
Trying to forcing and create mandates to give a failed medical systems more power over the people and their children is ridiculous.

The vast majority of Christians, and even of “fundamentalist Christians”, have no problem at all with the use of modern medicine.

The opposition to medicine is a characteristic of a few small, extreme sects, of which “Christian Scientists” are probably the most prominent.

The family in the OP's article are not Christian Scientists, they are Pentecostal.

I think some people cite religious objections to immunizations when truth is that it's just laziness, being unwilling to help their children. The amouint of dental neglect and medical neglect my adopted children suffer has arisen out of bio mom and dad's drug priorities.
You think whatever you like and you can even call believing every tom dick and harry that wants to shove a needle in small children to further their agenda and buff up their bank accounts but it does not make it truth.
Get in line when the vaccines are passed out but leave other peoples children alone.
Vaccine mafia earns 'F' in science: Australian Health Minister utters the most insanely stupid anti-science statement ever recorded... 'no risks in vaccinating children'
600 strains of an aerosolized thought control vaccine already tested on humans; deployed via air, food and water

So you are presenting an anti vaccination rant and an absurd conspiracy theory to prove what, exactly? That Fundi parents are not harming and killing their children? That it is OK and justified for them to do so? Actually, your post has absolutely nothing to do with the points that I made, or am I missing something here. I can't even count the logical fallacies in play here:

Appeal to ignorance
Definition: In the appeal to ignorance, the arguer basically says, “Look, there’s no conclusive evidence on the issue at hand. Therefore, you should accept my conclusion on this issue.”

Red herring
Definition: Partway through an argument, the arguer goes off on a tangent, raising a side issue that distracts the audience from what’s really at stake. Often, the arguer never returns to the original issue.

Weak analogy
Definition: Many arguments rely on an analogy between two or more objects, ideas, or situations. If the two things that are being compared aren’t really alike in the relevant respects, the analogy is a weak one, and the argument that relies on it commits the fallacy of weak analogy.

Ad ignorantiam
The argument from ignorance basically states that a specific belief is true because we don’t know that it isn’t true. Defenders of extrasensory perception, for example, will often overemphasize how much we do not know about the human brain. It is therefore possible, they argue, that the brain may be capable of transmitting signals at a distance.

Non-Sequitur
In Latin this term translates to “doesn’t follow”. This refers to an argument in which the conclusion does not necessarily follow from the premises. In other words, a logical connection is implied where none exists.

There are probably others, but you get the idea. Please learn how to debate a topic.

I am saying doctors do not always have the answers. Just because you have a hatred in you does not make you an expert for another person or their children. My child was pronounce fully brain dead when he was not yet two years old. The doctors said if the child survived the child would be a complete and total vegetable. Your attack against all whom you believe have faith in God who you apparently give no credence to does not make it so. My child did survive and was not a vegetable as medical experts stated that according to their testing would be regardless of the child's survival. That was almost forty years ago and that child grew up to have children of their own. Giving no hope whatsoever the experts option would have been to unplug all of the machines that kept him alive as there was no brain activity whatsoever. You don't have all the answers no matter how bright you think you are.

I am sorry to hear about your most difficult experience and I'm happy that it turned out well. I never said that doctors have all of the answers, but they have many of the answers.

Now, you and others here keep accusing me of have hatred for all those of faith, and quite frankly, that is as stupid as stupid gets. I have hatred for those who abuse and neglect children, and if there is a hell, I hope that there is a special, extra hot place there for those who do it in the name of religion-ANY religion

Perhaps, but that does not mean that this is not a problem. The policy must be changed at the Federal level. One dead or seriously injured child because of this stupidity is one to many. Do you agree?
Trying to forcing and create mandates to give a failed medical systems more power over the people and their children is ridiculous.
No...allowing medical neglect is ridiculous!

some people always has their noses into other people lives. and now they're USING the children for their hate. IF you really cared about children you wouldn't support abortion or a party who champions it. worry over your pathetic life. nothing but ugly from this op

People don't abort children, they abort fetuses. We are talking about children here, not fetuses.

I think that parents who refuse to vaccinate their children need to go straight to prison.

First, the case:

C. Federal policy

Westboro identifies as "Christian" doesn't make Westboro Christians

You identify as "Christian" and that doesn't make you a Christian either...more like a Cafeteria Christian. The couple in question are Pentecostal. Last I heard, Pentecostal falls under the Christian religion. Even Mormon's are considered Christian these days, and they've got their own Bible.

First, the case:

C. Federal policy

When Christians do something evil, other Christians defense is to say they aren't Christian.
Especially when all the evidence proves they are not Christian and the OP is either ignorant or a liar.

You better get out the word that the "Pentecostal" faith is no longer Christian!

Pentecostalism or Classical Pentecostalismis a renewal movement within Protestant Christianity that places special emphasis on a direct personal experience of God through the baptism with the Holy Spirit.

Pentecostalism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

some people always has their noses into other people lives. and now they're USING the children for their hate. IF you really cared about children you wouldn't support abortion or a party who champions it. worry over your pathetic life. nothing but ugly from this op

People don't abort children, they abort fetuses. We are talking about children here, not fetuses.
Yeah, you tell this girl she is not human at 13 weeks.
fetus.jpg

View attachment 66856
DEAL-WITH-THE-TOPIC-OF-THE THREAD!

First, the case:

C. Federal policy

When Christians do something evil, other Christians defense is to say they aren't Christian.
Especially when all the evidence proves they are not Christian and the OP is either ignorant or a liar.

You better get out the word that the "Pentecostal" faith is no longer Christian!

Pentecostalism or Classical Pentecostalismis a renewal movement within Protestant Christianity that places special emphasis on a direct personal experience of God through the baptism with the Holy Spirit.

Pentecostalism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
FUNDAMENTALIST - Believing that what the Bible says is true.

View attachment 66856
FUCK YOU. I responded to your fellow moron.

View attachment 66856

That's not what a fetus looks like at 13 weeks.

View attachment 66856
FUCK YOU. I responded to your fellow moron.

Spoken like a true Christian.

Forum List

Back