The Carrington event

miketx

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2015
We are over due for one it seems.

How a Massive Solar Storm Could Wipe Out Modern Technology

RAFI LETZTER, BUSINESS INSIDER
9 SEP 2016
In 1859, an invisible wave crashed into Earth. Electrons, swept up like so much detritus in the magnetic current, coursed along telegraph wires. When they met an obstacle, like the hand of a telegraph operator, they crashed through it - delivering a sharp shock.

Papers in telegraph offices caught fire. Even with batteries disconnected, operators found the giddy subatomic stream could carry their messages over vast distances. Lights danced in the sky.

It was the largest solar storm ever recorded. If it happened today, it would jeopardise global telecommunications, knock out orbiting satellites, and threaten to kill astronauts.

We'd have some warning; instruments all over the world and in space now monitor the Sun every second of the day.

But even at the speed of light, a massive solar flare's telltale flash of radiation would leave humanity between just a few minutes and - if we were very lucky - a day to prepare for the wave of charged particles surging toward us through space.

How a Massive Solar Storm Could Wipe Out Modern Technology

Hate to tell you, but it takes light only around 8 min. to reach Earth from the Sun.

We'd have enough warning to light a cigarette, but that is about it.

• Banned
Hate to tell you, but it takes light only around 8 min. to reach Earth from the Sun.

That's correct troll, light can traverse an AU in about 8 minutes. But how does this have anything to do with the OP?

That's correct troll, light can traverse an AU in about 8 minutes. But how does this have anything to do with the OP?

Because, in your posts last paragraph, it said this.....................

But even at the speed of light, a massive solar flare's telltale flash of radiation would leave humanity between just a few minutes and - if we were very lucky - a day to prepare for the wave of charged particles surging toward us through space.

There is no way in hell that we would have a full day to prepare. Max time would be around 10 min, enough time to light and smoke a last cigarette, which is why I posted what I did.

• Banned

There is no way in hell that we would have a full day to prepare. Max time would be around 10 min, enough time to light and smoke a last cigarette, which is why I posted what I did.
My post doesn't say anything like that, the article does. And you've gone and measured how fast charged particles travel, right? Since part of the Earth is in darkness, it may have to wait a day to experience the event, perhaps.

My post doesn't say anything like that, the article does. And you've gone and measured how fast charged particles travel, right?

I've watched a few documentaries concerning the Sun and various solar activity. I also know that when a photon is generated in the center of the Sun, it can take up to a million years for it to hit the outer corona, but once it does, it travels at light speed and hits the Earth 8 min. later. No, we wouldn't have a full day, more like just a few minutes.

• Banned

My post doesn't say anything like that, the article does. And you've gone and measured how fast charged particles travel, right?

I've watched a few documentaries concerning the Sun and various solar activity. I also know that when a photon is generated in the center of the Sun, it can take up to a million years for it to hit the outer corona, but once it does, it travels at light speed and hits the Earth 8 min. later. No, we wouldn't have a full day, more like just a few minutes.
Night time. Earth. Faces. Away. From. The. Sun.

• Banned
Electric grid large power transformers take up to 2 years to build

[ This post contains excerpts from the Department of Energy document “Large power transformers and the U.S. electric grid”.

Large power transformers are essential critical infrastructure to the electric grid, and are huge, weighing up to 820,000 pounds. If large power transformers are destroyed by a geomagnetic disturbance (GMD) electromagnetic pulse (EMP), cyber-attack, sabotage, severe weather, floods, or simply old age, parts or all of the electric grid could be down in a region for 6 months to 2 years. This is because the USA imports 85% of them, there is competition with other nations for limited production and raw materials such as special grade electrical steel, a high cost ranging from $2.5 to $10 million dollars (including transport/installation), and they are custom built, with long lead times to design, bid, manufacture, and deliver, with components depending on long foreign production and supply chains. The United States large power transformers are aging faster than they’re being replaced, and even more are needed for new intermittent renewable generation, which has the potential to damage them if not integrated carefully into the existing electric grid. There are possibly tens of thousands of LPT’s in America, mostly built between 1954 and 1978, so an increasing percentage of these aging LPT’s will need to be replaced within the next few decades.
http://energyskeptic.com/2015/power-transformers-that-take-up-to-2-years-to-build/

iu

Night time. Earth. Faces. Away. From. The. Sun.

Well, in that case, you MIGHT have a few hours, but it would also depend on whether or not there were other forms of radiation that could penetrate the Earth. But a full day? Nope, won't happen.

According to the monitors, the burst of solar energy, traveling at speeds of over 420 km per second, is expected to hit the planet's magnetic field today, resulting in minor geomagnetic storms and auroras mixed with unusually bright moonlight, observable by Arctic sky watchers.

Time to Panic? Scientists Warn Solar Storm 'About to Hit' Earth

The speed of light is 300,000 KM/SEC
So if you were driving your car at the speed of light, if you turned your headlights on, would they do anything?

According to the monitors, the burst of solar energy, traveling at speeds of over 420 km per second, is expected to hit the planet's magnetic field today, resulting in minor geomagnetic storms and auroras mixed with unusually bright moonlight, observable by Arctic sky watchers.

Time to Panic? Scientists Warn Solar Storm 'About to Hit' Earth

The speed of light is 300,000 KM/SEC

So if you were driving your car at the speed of light, if you turned your headlights on, would they do anything?

I don't know what that has to do with anything.

But to answer your question, since I'm not totally up on the theory of relativity, I'll offer up this

If you're in a car traveling at the speed of light and you turn your headlights on, does anything happen?

Any way, on departing, my thought is, this is a good thread and we need to be clear on definitions and facts. My understanding is, the threat is from particles, traveling much slower than photons, and would take about four days to get here.

See ya

Your friendly science geek

Any way, on departing, my thought is, this is a good thread and we need to be clear on definitions and facts. My understanding is, the threat is from particles, traveling much slower than photons, and would take about four days to get here.

See ya

But abikertraitor says different.

See ya

I came back

I can only tell you what I think. I think the threat comes from particles ejected in a CME. And I think they travel much slower. I can google up lots of links if necessary. Maybe he has links to support his ideas.

See ya

I came back

I can only tell you what I think. I think the threat comes from particles ejected in a CME. And I think they travel much slower. I can google up lots of links if necessary. Maybe he has links to support his ideas.

But now I am gone. I'll check back tomorrow.

Forum List

Back