The big picture: Global Authoritarianism

Mac1958

Diamond Member
Dec 8, 2011
Opposing Authoritarian Ideological Fundamentalism.
The domestic political reactions to the ugly events in Ukraine have exposed something that I don't think I've been seeing clearly enough.

As we know, authoritarians, terrorists and criminals often ultimately get their way by having the sheer will to do things that more decent people wouldn't even think of doing. They ignore common laws and rules of behavior, create delusional justifications for their behaviors, and then just maul others with the force of their will. That's what Putin is doing right now. This is who he is.

And there are obviously many in America and globally who are sympathetic to his behaviors. They would clearly rather attack those he's attacking than harshly criticize this murderous thug. So I'm thinking maybe it's time to replace a term I often use -- "Tr......pism" -- with a term that would more accurately describe the larger, macro picture: Global Authoritarianism. The free world, represented (at least to a degree) by NATO, will have its hands full as it takes on an adversary who will do absolutely anything to "win", while the free world is trying to play by the rules of decency.

This issue was noticed and discussed a couple of years ago, as people who think alike tend to gravitate towards each other:

1. I think I agree with the OP. Years ago Saddam Hussein attacked Iran and then took Kuwait. Just by the force of his will and ambitions.

2. Putin may have had his ego stroked too much with the recent spike in oil revenue and flush with cash upgraded his military, so why keep it on the shelf, use it to advantage. Instead of upgrading the pitiful Russian economy. Biden gave Putin the excess cash by shutting down US oil & gas production.

3. If you are trying to link Trump to Putin as an overly aggressive "global authoritarian" I disagree. Trump is no Putin, besides, here in the US the president cannot order the US military to attack without congressional approval. The joint chiefs would refuse illegal orders.

4. Are you using Trump's recent praise of Putin as part of your rationale'? I don't know why Trump praisied Putin. Is he blowing smoke? Is he playing him for some reason? Does he have a sincere admiration for dictators? It doesn't matter. What matters is that Trump's many gaffes will be used against him in the 2024 GOP primaries, so once again Trump doesn't understand US politics.

Last edited:
1. I think I agree with the OP. Years ago Saddam Hussein attacked Iran and then took Kuwait. Just by the force of his will and ambitions.

2. Putin may have had his ego stroked too much with the recent spike in oil revenue and flush with cash upgraded his military, so why keep it on the shelf, use it to advantage. Instead of upgrading the pitiful Russian economy.

3. If you are trying to link Trump to Putin as an overly aggressive "global authoritarian" I disagree. Trump is no Putin, besides, here in the US the president cannot order the US military to attack without congressional approval. The joint chiefs would refuse illegal orders.

4. Are you using Trump's recent praise of Putin as part of your rationale'? I don't know why Trump praisied Putin. Is he blowing smoke? Is he playing him for some reason? Does he have a sincere admiration for dictators? It doesn't matter. What matters is that Trump's many gaffes will be used against him in the 2024 GOP primaries, so once again Trump doesn't understand US politics.
The president can most certainly order an attack without congressional approval. His war powers are usually interpreted widely. You think he carries that nuclear football to phone Congress for a vote?

And I don't think you need to look at Trump's latest comments in order to come to the conclusion he is on Putin's side.

The president can most certainly order an attack without congressional approval. His war powers are usually interpreted widely. You think he carries that nuclear football to phone Congress for a vote?
And I don't think you need to look at Trump's latest comments in order to come to the conclusion he is on Putin's side.
I disagree. The US president cannot misuse the US military due to the War Powers Act.

If Trump is on Putin's side, he has no chance to be the GOP nominee in 2024. That is a good thing.

The domestic political reactions to the ugly events in Ukraine have exposed something that I don't think I've been seeing clearly enough.

As we know, authoritarians, terrorists and criminals often ultimately get their way by having the sheer will to do things that more decent people wouldn't even think of doing. They ignore common laws and rules of behavior, create delusional justifications for their behaviors, and then just maul others with the force of their will. That's what Putin is doing right now. This is who he is.

And there are obviously many in America and globally who are sympathetic to his behaviors. They would clearly rather attack those he's attacking than harshly criticize this murderous thug. So I'm thinking maybe it's time to replace a term I often use -- "Tr......pism" -- with a term that would more accurately describe the larger, macro picture: Global Authoritarianism. The free world, represented (at least to a degree) by NATO, will have its hands full as it takes on an adversary who will do absolutely anything to "win", while the free world is trying to play by the rules of decency.

This issue was noticed and discussed a couple of years ago, as people who think alike tend to gravitate towards each other:

You live in the largest global authoritarian state ever known.

We bully, bribe, murder, and steal from most of this world.

This is what boils my balls about Americans.

We LITERALLY staged and funded a coup in Ukraine, installing known FACISTS into power.

We tried to as well in Belarus.

Since 1991 NATO has added six, former Soviet bloc nations to its numbers.

Adding US military bases in Hungary, Poland, Czech.

Every single move in an attempt to push Russia into action.

Yet you fucking bootlickers have the chutzpa to condemn Putin for his move into Ukraine

Left or right Americans are unbelievable man.

You people sound like fucking cultists.

Do you want to know the end result of fucking with Russia?

1645709348264.png

You live in the largest global authoritarian state ever known.
We bully, bribe, murder, and steal from most of this world.
This is what boils my balls about Americans.
We LITERALLY staged and funded a coup in Ukraine, installing known FACISTS into power.
We tried to as well in Belarus.
Since 1991 NATO has added six, former Soviet bloc nations to its numbers.
Adding US military bases in Hungary, Poland, Czech.
Every single move in an attempt to push Russia into action.
Yet you fucking bootlickers have the chutzpa to condemn Putin for his move into Ukraine
Left or right Americans are unbelievable man.
You people sound like fucking cultists.
Do you want to know the end result of fucking with Russia?
The end result is what we call MAD...Putin isn't stupid. That "genie" stays in the bottle or nuclear fallout ends everything.

1645709546495.png

as people who think alike tend to gravitate towards each other:
thats true but at the same time the far right and left think alike,they call each other the same names and want the same things for themselves like,total obedience to what they want,fuck everyone else.....but they dont seem to gravitate towards each other....

2. Putin may have had his ego stroked too much with the recent spike in oil revenue and flush with cash upgraded his military, so why keep it on the shelf, use it to advantage. Instead of upgrading the pitiful Russian economy. Biden gave Putin the excess cash by shutting down US oil & gas production.

trump only understands what he can see in his little bubble....

We're seeing the world rise up against globalist authoritarian dictators. Soon, the world will be looking for a single man to lead them.
Ummm.......... no. We are seeing authoritarianism on the rise everywhere. The opposite is actually true. Soon it will be in the United States, as another Trump is coming, and you will cheer yourself hoarse in support.

I disagree. The US president cannot misuse the US military due to the War Powers Act.

If Trump is on Putin's side, he has no chance to be the GOP nominee in 2024. That is a good thing.
The war powers act stipulates that Congress needs to be notified of Military action within 48 hours and deployment can't exceed 60 days. It doesn't prohibit a president from committing troops. Meriam Webster is a handy tool but I suggest actually looking into the specifics of a law before citing it.

As to Trump not being the GOP candidate if he supports Putin. Nothing in the past suggests that conclusion is warranted.

When Trump was confronted by the statement that Putin was a killer. His excuse for it was that there are American killers too. Didn't stop him from winning the nomination for the GOP in 2016.

When the Trump campaign was approached by someone claiming to speak for the Russian government offering dirt on Clinton they where eager to get it. Didn't really fase the GOP.

When Trump's national security advisor offered easing of sanctions to the Russian ambassador during the campaign and was caught lying about it to the FBI. And was later pardoned for it. Nobody in the GOP batted an eye.

When Trump had the Russian ambassador alone in the Oval office and gave him Israeli intelligence without so much as asking them. The GOP was silent.

When Trump withdrew from Syria giving Russia the free use of port facilities in a country in the Middle-East it produced a yawn from the GOP.

When Trump phoned the Ukrainian ambassador making military aid contingent on an investigation into his main political rival's son all but 1 GOP senator voted to acquit.

Even now if you go on this board you will see people on the right defending his statement on Tuesday and even defending Putin as a victim.

Why exactly makes you believe that Trump being friendly to Putin will damage him to extend of not getting nominated?

Last edited:
Ummm.......... no. We are seeing authoritarianism on the rise everywhere. The opposite is actually true. Soon it will be in the United States, as another Trump is coming, and you will cheer yourself hoarse in support.
Apparently, you haven't seen the world-wide protests and the authoritarian govts beating those people who are protesting. Stick to your mainstream propaganda. Your words are folly.

Apparently, you haven't seen the world-wide protests and the authoritarian govts beating those people who are protesting. Stick to your mainstream propaganda. Your words are folly.
No, my words are fact. I am not going to explain to someone as uninformed as you, as it's not my responsibility to educate you.

as people who think alike tend to gravitate towards each other:
thats true but at the same time the far right and left think alike,they call each other the same names and want the same things for themselves like,total obedience to what they want,fuck everyone else.....but they dont seem to gravitate towards each other....
The Left and Right are miles apart…give up already bud, there is NO middle ground to be shared.

Forum List

Back