The best gun for home defense

12 gauge shotgun and a big dog are best for home defense. If the barking doesn't dissuade a break in..then the clac clac of the 12 gauge definitely will.

No need to even shoot.

Or you just warned an intruder you are armed, and if the intruder is armed then he may just start top open fire indiscriminately.

:lol:

Yes..just what every "intruder" wants..a gun battle.
if he has a gun and he is breaking into your home he is ready to use it.

I prefer shotguns. I have one loaded with 3 birdshot rounds and 2 slugs. If the birdshot doesn't scare them off, then the slugs will.

As a backup I have a revolver, six-shooter .357 . They've served me just fine so far, see no reason to upgrade.

Thats the set up the wife is comfortable with,#4 then a slug then more #4's and a slug,at night in the dark,its a frightful thing to touch off a 12ga.But then criminals are generally bold type of people.

I prefer shotguns. I have one loaded with 3 birdshot rounds and 2 slugs. If the birdshot doesn't scare them off, then the slugs will.

As a backup I have a revolver, six-shooter .357 . They've served me just fine so far, see no reason to upgrade.

Thats the set up the wife is comfortable with,#4 then a slug then more #4's and a slug,at night in the dark,its a frightful thing to touch off a 12ga.But then criminals are generally bold type of people.

I have some shells loaded with rock salt and bird shot that I use as a first shell in my 12 gauge. If that won't stop someone in their tracks the second round of buckshot will

You think? Seems to me the majority are rather cowardly, with the important exceptions, of course. They mostly seek an easy touch, and the sound of a pump isn't reassuring on that point.

If it were just a matter of losing stuff, I'm sure I'd hesitate to fire on someone. However, if I truly feared for those I love, I might just shoot first and not ask any questions later, just make a statement; 'Of course, officer, I warned him first'.

You think? Seems to me the majority are rather cowardly, with the important exceptions, of course. They mostly seek an easy touch, and the sound of a pump isn't reassuring on that point.

If it were just a matter of losing stuff, I'm sure I'd hesitate to fire on someone. However, if I truly feared for those I love, I might just shoot first and not ask any questions later, just make a statement; 'Of course, officer, I warned him first'.

True enough,but at night in the dark,they most likely know your there,its not time for second guessing their temperament. Hope it never happens,most likely won't,don't think about it much,but after 2 break in attempts she got twitchy and wanted some reassurance.

Damn good shot also.

20-gauge shotgun, youth model, with #3 buckshot load.

Yeah, it's often considered a lady's gun, but that's the point. A woman can use it comfortably, the small length helps in hallways, it has plenty of kill power at household range, but not enough to overpenetrate and kill the neighbors. And it's cheap.

You really also want to consider what happens after the shooting. The more flashy your gun is, the more likely that a prosecutor will be presenting the case to the jury about how you're a gun-happy rambo.

A CCW weapon should be a vanilla type handgun. .38 special, 9mm, .40 S&W. Walk around with a .44 magnum, and you are so screwed. And do not modify the trigger in any way.

Any shotgun should be as not-scary looking as possible. Nothing black, no pistol grips, no laser sights. That plain little 20 gauge is perfect. It's as not-macho as it gets.

You don't even want to think about using something with "AR" or "AK" in the name. May as well just plead guilty and walk into a cell.

"Better judged by 12 than carried by 6"? Not quite. The key is to plan ahead, so that you're neither carried by 6 or judged by 12.

Last edited:
First of all the term "home defense" is pretty broad. Let's say a person is qualified and wants a weapon to defend his family against the crazy who might come knocking on his door at 3 AM. A shotgun would be intimidating enough but it is unwieldy and hard to get to in an emergency. A handgun seems to be ideal for late night emergencies but I personally favor a wheel gun (revolver). You don't need to check a safety or feed a magazine or see if there is one in the chamber. The Tauris "judge" revolver is ideal. A revolver that can shoot a .45 or a 410 shotgun shell.

The best self-defense weapon for the home is whatever one is comfortable and proficient with.

For me in the home it’s a Colt 1911 – perfectly safe in condition 1 and ready to use with a quick flick of the safety. It chambers a highly effective round on a reliable and manageable platform.

For those of us in rural areas who need to defend our property outside of the home, such as during a tropical storm/hurricane, an AK or SKS is the perfect weapon; both also chamber an effective round, are utterly reliable, and as used only at short range, accuracy is not an issue.

I've always looked at ARs and AKs as the "Oh shit it's bad" guns. In other words I'm not likely to break it out for home defense.
Protecting your property from looters would be one of those "Oh shit it's bad" moments for sure. Gotta have that extra mag capacity for groups of looters.

Here in Hurricane Alley, out in the middle of nowhere, when the sheriff’s department is dealing with looters, downed power lines, and dead stoplights, don’t bother calling 911 because you ‘heard a noise.’

Usually the sight and sound of an AK bolt being cycled will do the trick.

You get the same effect with a 1911 chambering a round, nothing else sounds like it, and will likely be enough to clear the house of unwanted guests.

12 gauge shotgun and a big dog are best for home defense. If the barking doesn't dissuade a break in..then the clac clac of the 12 gauge definitely will.

No need to even shoot.

Or you just warned an intruder you are armed, and if the intruder is armed then he may just start top open fire indiscriminately.

:lol:

Yes..just what every "intruder" wants..a gun battle.

Considering you are dealing with someone entering a house to steal something, you are probably not dealing with someone who is very rational, or in a thinking mood.

They may also be strung out on something.

You just cant beat a shorty shotgun for home defense. It wont go through as many walls as a high powered rifle. Obviously not as big an issue if you live in the boonies.
The range is perfect for household use.
And the best part.....you hit someone center mass with buckshot and it's over. It's like being hit with a 38.....nine times. Nothing else can put that much lead downrange that fast.
The only drawback would be the limited ammo capacity. But considering I'll be lying in wait for the first fool,I'm unlikely to miss. And if there is a second guy I'm pretty sure seeing his buddies insides on the outside will make him think twice before proceeding,so limited ammo shouldnt be an issue.

I am a fan of my Springfield xdm 9mm. Highly accurate and 19 shots!

spg_XDM9202HCSP.jpg

I'd like something that vaporizes the unwanted guest completely so there's no bloody (or legal) mess to clean up afterwards.

Best home defense? I have claymores and foo gas hidden in the walls with infrared triggers. Just remember to deactivate the sensors if ya get up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom.

I have an attack T-Rex and a Lahti anti tank rifle

lahti_m39.jpg

All kidding aside, The shot gun. Your average thug does not want to deal with home owner armed or not, but if it comes to stopping a fight now at "inside the house range" the 20, 0r 12 gauge with buck shot is pretty unbeatable.

Best home defense? I have claymores and foo gas hidden in the walls with infrared triggers. Just remember to deactivate the sensors if ya get up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom.

lahti_m39.jpg

All kidding aside, The shot gun. Your average thug does not want to deal with home owner armed or not, but if it comes to stopping a fight now at "inside the house range" the 20, 0r 12 gauge with buck shot is pretty unbeatable.
Rexie? Better not be my Rexie. He got loose from the back yard a few thousand years ago and I haven't seen him since.

lahti_m39.jpg

I like my Saiga (20 round 12 g barrel), but it's impractical to keep in my room! The Springfield xdm does just fine!

Saiga-12-shotgun.jpg

First of all the term "home defense" is pretty broad. Let's say a person is qualified and wants a weapon to defend his family against the crazy who might come knocking on his door at 3 AM. A shotgun would be intimidating enough but it is unwieldy and hard to get to in an emergency. A handgun seems to be ideal for late night emergencies but I personally favor a wheel gun (revolver). You don't need to check a safety or feed a magazine or see if there is one in the chamber. The Tauris "judge" revolver is ideal. A revolver that can shoot a .45 or a 410 shotgun shell.

The best gun for home defense?? All of the above.

Forum List

Back