The best gun for home defense

I have other pistols available, but 90% of the time I choose a 22lr 9 shot revolver.

I know, it's not sexy, and it won't take down a water buffalo, but I can make a pretty good case for my choice.

1) I practice with it...a lot. Ammunition is cheap and I have plenty of it and it's fun. This is key.

2) Reduced likelihood of over penetration...I live in town, I don't want to shoot my own family or the neighbors with rounds that easily penetrate walls. Chance are very good that no 22LR bullets will leave the house.

3) Time on target...With a 22LR, the limited recoil allows multiple on target shots in minimum time.

You gotta go with what you can afford. I bought a basket case H&R 9-22 for $35 literally in a cigar box in pieces that someone had taken apart. I could see immediately that the important stuff was there, Frame/barrel, cylinder, hammer and grips. All it needed was the plate the mainspring rests on and I made one. It's in my toolbox in the workshop for protection against rabid things. It shoots good and intimidates coyotes when they come howling around. They say a .38 special is underpowered but i'd rather have it than a puny .22 against two legged coyotes.

Fatalities-900x654.jpg

The graph is pretty clear on this: .22 caliber firearms are just as deadly in a gunfight as any other handgun caliber. In fact, it beat the average (far right). Surprisingly, every caliber that begins with a 4 (.40 S&W, .45, .44 Mag…) performed worse than the .22 caliber firearms in terms of putting the opponent in the dirt for good.

Ask Foghorn: Is .22lr The Best for Self Defense? | The Truth About GunsThe Truth About Guns

Thats pretty interesting. Could it be that more people have shotguns and .22s ?
Or did they take an equal sampling of all categories?
The shotgun doesnt surprise me. But the .22 most definitely does. Which makes me think the chart shows a lot of people own .22s. And of course shotguns.

A .22 will drop a deer. So yeah they are lethal. Most under rated gun out there.

A .22-250 or a .223, sure, but a .22lr? I would NOT try to take a deer with such a round. True, with the right placement...and a CLOSE shot, a .22lr can kill a large mammal, but if you hit any bone at all, you're going to only injure the animal. I wouldn't want to do that.

You gotta go with what you can afford. I bought a basket case H&R 9-22 for $35 literally in a cigar box in pieces that someone had taken apart. I could see immediately that the important stuff was there, Frame/barrel, cylinder, hammer and grips. All it needed was the plate the mainspring rests on and I made one. It's in my toolbox in the workshop for protection against rabid things. It shoots good and intimidates coyotes when they come howling around. They say a .38 special is underpowered but i'd rather have it than a puny .22 against two legged coyotes.

Fatalities-900x654.jpg

The graph is pretty clear on this: .22 caliber firearms are just as deadly in a gunfight as any other handgun caliber. In fact, it beat the average (far right). Surprisingly, every caliber that begins with a 4 (.40 S&W, .45, .44 Mag…) performed worse than the .22 caliber firearms in terms of putting the opponent in the dirt for good.

Ask Foghorn: Is .22lr The Best for Self Defense? | The Truth About GunsThe Truth About Guns

The shotgun doesnt surprise me. But the .22 most definitely does. Which makes me think the chart shows a lot of people own .22s. And of course shotguns.

These are percentages... shots vs fatality. The number of instances is irrelevant.

Here is the raw data...it is fascinating...An Alternate Look at Handgun Stopping Power

A .22 will drop a deer. So yeah they are lethal. Most under rated gun out there.

A .22-250 or a .223, sure, but a .22lr? I would NOT try to take a deer with such a round. True, with the right placement...and a CLOSE shot, a .22lr can kill a large mammal, but if you hit any bone at all, you're going to only injure the animal. I wouldn't want to do that.

We were discussing Chris McCandless Alaskan sojourn in another thread.

He, an inexperienced hunter, took down a moose with a .22lr.

That said, I agree it is totally unethical...granting the exception of a survival situation.

-----------------------------

The Tauris Judge is the most innovative handgun in 150 years. Probably the best all around home defense weapon.

I do not agree.

410 isn't powerful enough to insure penetration.

I think an Ar-15 or a shotgun is a much better weapon.

For versality it's hard to beat a shotgun.

The Tauris Judge is the most innovative handgun in 150 years. Probably the best all around home defense weapon.

I do not agree.

banned in California

my buddy has one

it was fun to shoot

we shot buckshot

it was alright close up

some problems with spent shells

more of a novelty

I do not agree.

Check this out Mike --- All the usual suspects PLUS .223, 7.62 and .308 rifled adapters for 12 gauge shotguns...

The Awesome Adapter for Your 12-Gauge Shotgun That Turns It Into an ?Ultimate Survival Rifle? | Video | TheBlaze.com

I do not agree.

banned in California

my buddy has one

it was fun to shoot

we shot buckshot

it was alright close up

more of a novelty
You can also shoot slugs for distance.

I do not agree.

Check this out Mike --- All the usual suspects PLUS .223, 7.62 and .308 rifled adapters for 12 gauge shotguns...

The Awesome Adapter for Your 12-Gauge Shotgun That Turns It Into an ?Ultimate Survival Rifle? | Video | TheBlaze.com

damn neat idea...maybe not best for home defense but versatile as hell and considering the ammo situation it makes a lot of sense.

I do not agree.

banned in California

my buddy has one

it was fun to shoot

we shot buckshot

it was alright close up

more of a novelty
You can also shoot slugs for distance.

we didnt

but i understand you can

I do not agree.

a handy survival addition

I've dropped many a deer with a .22.
The key is to keep your shots under fifty yards. And anyone who can shoot worth a shit can hit a quarter at fifty yards,which is more accuracy then you need.
Aim small,hit small.

Fatalities-900x654.jpg

These are percentages... shots vs fatality. The number of instances is irrelevant.

Here is the raw data...it is fascinating...An Alternate Look at Handgun Stopping Power

Whoops my bad,I should have read the whole article.
Thats a kick ass study,it's book marked.
Very surprising results over all. And it highlights my comments about how lethal a .22 really is. But I really thought the higher calibers would have had a higher lethality rate.

You can theoritacally take out a deer with a stick, but I would still prefer the "right" firearm and caliber to do the job easier.

The key is to keep your shots under fifty yards. And anyone who can shoot worth a shit can hit a quarter at fifty yards,which is more accuracy then you need.
Aim small,hit small.

the 22lr is illegal to use for deer out here

however that is what i use to put down either a cow or pig

that is heading off to the butcher

You can theoritacally take out a deer with a stick, but I would still prefer the "right" firearm and caliber to do the job easier.

i have taken out many a deer with a stick but more so

aluminum tubes with a sharp end

travelling around 300 fps

--LOL

Aim small,hit small.

the 22lr is illegal to use for deer out here

however that is what i use to put down either a cow or pig

that is heading off to the butcher

I haven't done it since I was youngster. And it is illegal in Texas as well.
But as a kid we didnt think twice about it. Hell,I broke a shitload of game laws as a kid,not out of malice or anything,we just never really thought about it. We were just hunting.

12 gauge shotgun and a big dog are best for home defense. If the barking doesn't dissuade a break in..then the clac clac of the 12 gauge definitely will.

No need to even shoot.

myself, i prefer a sawed off.....with dble 00...doesnt matter if my hands are shaking or i am flat terrified....i am getting off my shot and i know its gonna knock my ass to the ground...but i always know its stops anything in front of me ....or damn nearly anything in the room.

but the sound of it being racked will stop most in their tracks....

Forum List

Back