The affirmative case for Christianity

ding

Confront reality
Oct 25, 2016
Houston
Christianity promotes the virtues of thankfulness, forgiveness, humility, chastity, temperance, charity, diligence, patience and kindness. Christianity is responsible for the creation of wonderful charities and organizations which serve the betterment of man. Christians and Christian institutions are usually the first source of literacy, education, and healthcare in the poorer regions.Christians and Christian institutions have been the source of abundant human services from hospitals, orphanages, nursing homes, and schools, to advocacy on behalf of those with no voice, to supporting cultural outreaches, and seeking always to find ways in which to protect and promote human life and its authentic flourishing. Christianity gave us the concept of subsidiarity and has done what no government can ever do, namely teach morality and civility Christianity teaches accountability and responsibility. Christianity teaches that we have a choice in how we behave and that actions have consequences. Christianity inspires a sense of wonder in nature and the universe and helps us feel connected to one another and to nature through regular community gatherings. Christianity helps us feel less alone in the world by binding the community together. Christianity serves to ennoble the human spirit and inspires love, peace and happiness. Christianity brings order to our lives by promoting the virtues of thankfulness, forgiveness and humility. Christianity brings comfort to the terminally ill and can act as a source of hope for the oppressed. Christianity teaches that we can transform ourselves. That it is possible to change for the better. Christian values were the foundation which Western Civilization was built upon. No other institution played a greater role in shaping Western Civilization than the Catholic Church. Modern science was born in the Catholic Church. Catholic priests developed the idea of free-market. The Catholic Church invented the university. Western law grew out of Church canon law. The Church humanized the West by insisting on the sacredness of all human life. The Church constantly sought to alleviate the evils of slavery and repeatedly denounced the mass enslavement of conquered populations and the infamous slave trade, thereby undermining slavery at its sources. Religion gave us great thinkers, leaders and humanitarians. Christianity gave us America. Christianity gave us incredible artwork, music and architecture. Christianity has spread democracy throughout the world. Christians fought other Christians in WWII to end their aggression and rebuilt Europe and Japan after WWII. Christians put a man on the moon and ended the cold war.

Yes Christianity is socialization.
It is a little more than that. The Bible tells us that we are rebels. That we are at war with God. Christianity teaches that we can change. That we can transform ourselves. The word “repent” in the Greek is metanoia. Metanoia means to change your mind. Our thoughts, the flow of consciousness which determines our behaviors, can change. Metanoia has to do with moral activity, but goes beyond that. Jesus was teaching that we could change our mind about how we treat people. We don’t have to be unforgiving and cynical. We can change our mind about being negative. We can think positive thoughts and walk in faith instead of doubt. We can change our minds about sin. Rather than being caught in the strongholds of consistent habits of lust or selfishness, for example, we can experience freedom and selflessness. Jesus would not have told us to change unless it was possible and attainable. The Bible is full of words that speak about change. Repentance, metamorphosis, transformation, conversion, resurrection, rebirth, renewal, regeneration, healing and transfiguration.

Homilies of Father Paul Yi: Fr. Cedric Pisegna Mission 2nd Night: Sept. 28, 2015

Christianity promotes the virtues of thankfulness, forgiveness, humility, chastity, temperance, charity, diligence, patience and kindness. Christianity is responsible for the creation of wonderful charities and organizations which serve the betterment of man. Christians and Christian institutions are usually the first source of literacy, education, and healthcare in the poorer regions.Christians and Christian institutions have been the source of abundant human services from hospitals, orphanages, nursing homes, and schools, to advocacy on behalf of those with no voice, to supporting cultural outreaches, and seeking always to find ways in which to protect and promote human life and its authentic flourishing. Christianity gave us the concept of subsidiarity and has done what no government can ever do, namely teach morality and civility Christianity teaches accountability and responsibility. Christianity teaches that we have a choice in how we behave and that actions have consequences. Christianity inspires a sense of wonder in nature and the universe and helps us feel connected to one another and to nature through regular community gatherings. Christianity helps us feel less alone in the world by binding the community together. Christianity serves to ennoble the human spirit and inspires love, peace and happiness. Christianity brings order to our lives by promoting the virtues of thankfulness, forgiveness and humility. Christianity brings comfort to the terminally ill and can act as a source of hope for the oppressed. Christianity teaches that we can transform ourselves. That it is possible to change for the better. Christian values were the foundation which Western Civilization was built upon. No other institution played a greater role in shaping Western Civilization than the Catholic Church. Modern science was born in the Catholic Church. Catholic priests developed the idea of free-market. The Catholic Church invented the university. Western law grew out of Church canon law. The Church humanized the West by insisting on the sacredness of all human life. The Church constantly sought to alleviate the evils of slavery and repeatedly denounced the mass enslavement of conquered populations and the infamous slave trade, thereby undermining slavery at its sources. Religion gave us great thinkers, leaders and humanitarians. Christianity gave us America. Christianity gave us incredible artwork, music and architecture. Christianity has spread democracy throughout the world. Christians fought other Christians in WWII to end their aggression and rebuilt Europe and Japan after WWII. Christians put a man on the moon and ended the cold war.
You see, you asked me once why I posted "anti-christian arguments" on a religious forum, if not to start arguments/fights. The implication of your question is that the only people who legitimately post to this particular sub-forum should be other religious minded folks for the purpose of discussing points of their religions.

So, tell me, Ding. What is your audience with this post? Do you suppose that there are Christians posting to this sub-forum who are in need of convincing that Christianity needs defending?

Or is this an attempt to lure non-christians into a debate about the benefits of Christianity?

Sent from my 5054N using Tapatalk

You see, you asked me once why I posted "anti-christian arguments" on a religious forum, if not to start arguments/fights. The implication of your question is that the only people who legitimately post to this particular sub-forum should be other religious minded folks for the purpose of discussing points of their religions.

So, tell me, Ding. What is your audience with this post? Do you suppose that there are Christians posting to this sub-forum who are in need of convincing that Christianity needs defending?

Or is this an attempt to lure non-christians into a debate about the benefits of Christianity?

:clap::clap2::clap2:

Islamazation claims to be that too. Socialization in what sense? It all must be defined because each has a concept or precept of what that should entail. In all that you can't jump or over ride another person's liberties.

Islamazation claims to be that too. Socialization in what sense? It all must be defined because each has a concept or precept of what that should entail. In all that you can't jump or over ride another person's liberties.

We are mainly social creatures, we all depend upon another. It must be the way one is raised in life, so being a giving sharing people depends on upbringing. We were taught to share and give, but then again we are RC, and I find most of the GOP are Baptist and Evangelicals who follow Paul more than Jesus.

We are mainly social creatures, we all depend upon another. It must be the way one is raised in life, so being a giving sharing people depends on upbringing. We were taught to share and give, but then again we are RC, and I find most of the GOP are Baptist and Evangelicals who follow Paul more than Jesus.
I did not grow up with religiosity of any kind. If we went to church it was local people gathering together in the community we lived in to share. People throughout are teaching parasitically just like the Pharisees did when Jesus walked. Jesus taught about the spirit and they all think they are going to apply that to their own fleshly version by their own precepts. The Word is good but not if it is used like sour milk or moldy bread. The Old is still applicable with the New and again it is what is in the spirit of humankind. The RC and others have attempted to squash the females right along with others with their own flawed precepts. Maybe not as rabidly as the Muslims but they are still lacking and still pushing via their own precepts.

BTW, I also taught the children share but it isn't taken by force, theft or deception.

I did not grow up with religiosity of any kind. If we went to church it was local people gathering together in the community we lived in to share. People throughout are teaching parasitically just like the Pharisees did when Jesus walked. Jesus taught about the spirit and they all think they are going to apply that to their own fleshly version by their own precepts. The Word is good but not if it is used like sour milk or moldy bread. The Old is still applicable with the New and again it is what is in the spirit of humankind. The RC and others have attempted to squash the females right along with others with their own flawed precepts. Maybe not as rabidly as the Muslims but they are still lacking and still pushing via their own precepts.

BTW, I also taught the children share but it isn't taken by force, theft or deception.

I don't think its imp. to be brought up religiously. I mean we had catechism, Holy Communion and Confirmation.
I think I give parents most of the credit to how kids turn out. Its very sad that most do not have good role models for parents now days, from what I've seen. I don't agree on all the teachings of the church, Mary was a virgin, Jesus is God, the trinity , or that. I just believe only in the Christian philosophy. I never felt less as a female in the RCC and we never got preached to like some do in Baptist churches. I find most religions are used to control people, one does not need a church or religion to be a charitable or compassionate person.

I don't think its imp. to be brought up religiously. I mean we had catechism, Holy Communion and Confirmation.
I think I give parents most of the credit to how kids turn out. Its very sad that most do not have good role models for parents now days, from what I've seen. I don't agree on all the teachings of the church, Mary was a virgin, Jesus is God, the trinity , or that. I just believe only in the Christian philosophy. I never felt less as a female in the RCC and we never got preached to like some do in Baptist churches. I find most religions are used to control people, one does not need a church or religion to be a charitable or compassionate person.
What you learned through a preacher would depended on the teacher.

Parents do play a huge part in what a child grows up to be but even that depends on the spirit of the child and the spirit(s) the family either looses or binds. If something is loosed that is a negative it can damage the whole family structure of that family. If things are bound that create the negative the family as a unit can continue to grow together in that. Outside influences also take part or create portions in a family unit.

Organized religion has its place but it can be overwhelming if it presses the points of view and precepts of carnally minded people who desire to force it onto others. That is what we are seeing today around the globe as exalted religions and war like religions push for their brand of religion. It is also a wake-up call for those who have been living life in their own pleasures (garden of Eden). Lots of things going on for people to recognize it if they are seeking to understand.

I put this link in Jeri's thread so she could see what some scriptures are talking about.
Doctrine or Teaching of the Nicolaitans and Church Government

Christianity promotes the virtues of thankfulness, forgiveness, humility, chastity, temperance, charity, diligence, patience and kindness.

Christianity gave us the concept of subsidiarity and has done what no government can ever do, namely teach morality and civility Christianity teaches accountability and responsibility. Christianity teaches that we have a choice in how we behave and that actions have consequences.

Christianity inspires a sense of wonder in nature and the universe and helps us feel connected to one another and to nature through regular community gatherings.

Christianity helps us feel less alone in the world by binding the community together.

Modern science was born in the Catholic Church. Catholic priests developed the idea of free-market. The Catholic Church invented the university. Western law grew out of Church canon law. The Church humanized the West by insisting on the sacredness of all human life. The Church constantly sought to alleviate the evils of slavery and repeatedly denounced the mass enslavement of conquered populations and the infamous slave trade, thereby undermining slavery at its sources. Religion gave us great thinkers, leaders and humanitarians. Christianity gave us America.

Christianity gave us incredible artwork, music and architecture. Christianity has spread democracy throughout the world. Christians fought other Christians in WWII to end their aggression and rebuilt Europe and Japan after WWII. Christians put a man on the moon and ended the cold war.
Wow. What a steamy pile! First off, learn to use paragraphs, it makes for easier reading, unless you were simply engaged in spiritual masturbation.

Christianity is not the only religion to teach values and virtues, curiosity, love of nature or any other decent thing you can think of.

The Catholic church oppressed very many people, killed a lot of them, made people feel guilt, shame and humiliation for being humans. All the while making them feel obligated to funnel money into their coffers.

True, many artists worked for the church, but that's because A. they killed off any real opposition until the reformation, B. They were the only ones besides the uber rich few that could afford art.

The New Testament does not condemn slavery. I'd agree it doesn't encourage it but doesn't speak about the horrors of owning fellow humans. Why? Because it was a collection books of the day. Voted on by men gathered to create a state religion.

The affirmative case for Christianity ...

is precarious at best, and -

would truthfully begin by an offer to revise their bible to reflect the 1st century, leave out the christ idea and try to keep it below 150 pages ...

They don't share and give?

Jesus said call no man on Earth father and the RC church has a whole bunch of them including their big kahoona.

No, my "implication" was that you are a militant atheist who desires to subordinate religion.

My audience is anyone who wishes to discuss this topic.

Christianity would not need defending unless it were attacked.

No, it is an example of what an affirmative case looks like. I figured people who practice critical theory could use an example.

:clap::clap2::clap2:
Now that is more like it. He really appreciates the kowtow.

They don't share and give?

Jesus said call no man on Earth father and the RC church has a whole bunch of them including their big kahoona.

Yes RC's are usually the biggest sharers and givers, unless they are a Republican, then its the complete opposite.

Forum List

Back