Texas Governor Gregg Abbott Says New Laws to Be Passed After Elementary School Shooting

Laughable. An affront to discerning Americans. As my late colleague used to say “they think you’re stupid”

It's an opportunity to shame the Democratic party into accepting armed guards at schools and a prison fortress atmosphere!

I have a hunch that the Republicans don't really want any part of that, and so any progress will be stalled off indefinitely.

By now everybody should have it fixed in their own heads at least that Michael Moore seems to be the only American to stumble onto the solution, and then be brave enough to voice the opinion.

However, the first step probably has to be taken of the armed guards and the prison conditions.

School taxation will go wild unless there's a tradeoff on the children's education, to fund the changes.

Hey, Bro. Not a mod thing, but anyway you could paste key points of the thing from Epochtimes, so some of us unwilling to share our personal email address(es) with most or specific new outlets can see main parts or points? I got the "sign up or log in" thing immediate and no way around it.

Hey, Bro. Not a mod thing, but anyway you could paste key points of the thing from Epochtimes, so some of us unwilling to share our personal email address(es) with most or specific new outlets can see main parts or points? I got the "sign up or log in" thing immediate and no way around it.
If that's for me, what are you talking about?

It's an opportunity to shame the Democratic party into accepting armed guards at schools and a prison fortress atmosphere!

I have a hunch that the Republicans don't really want any part of that, and so any progress will be stalled off indefinitely.

By now everybody should have it fixed in their own heads at least that Michael Moore seems to be the only American to stumble onto the solution, and then be brave enough to voice the opinion.

However, the first step probably has to be taken of the armed guards and the prison conditions.

School taxation will go wild unless there's a tradeoff on the children's education, to fund the changes.
You can demagogue the issue and strawman the solution all you like, but the solution won't go way. You're kidding yourself if you think red states are not going to start truly securing the schools.

You can demagogue the issue and strawman the solution all you like, but the solution won't go way. You're kidding yourself if you think red states are not going to start truly securing the schools.
I've made it abundantly clear that I think they should but I didn't refine it to just red states.

However, just red states doing it would be a bonus in my opinion. It would encourage future shooters to take on the challenge and improve upon the latest shooter's methods and efficiency.

So first get into the school, which will be relatively easy, and then whack the armed guard.

Then get on with his mission.

So we'll see how it works out won't we?

• Banned
ok i will do that but only because i liked that you called me "bro", bro

excerpts:

New laws will be passed after the shooting at an elementary school in Uvalde, Texas Gov. Greg Abbott said on May 27.

“Do we expect any laws to come out of this devastating crime? The answer is yes. Absolutely yes,” said Abbott, a Republican.

Those laws will be “in multiple different subject areas,” he added.

One area will be making schools safer. He also wants laws that address the “array of healthcare issues that relate to those who commit gun crimes.”

“The status quo is unacceptable. This crime is unacceptable. We’re not going to be here and talking about it and do nothing about it. We will be looking for the best laws that we can get passed to make our communities and schools safer,” Abbott said.

Some legislators and governors see the need for bills that curb access to guns, but Abbott suggested he isn’t of the same mind.

Pressed on whether he’d support legislation to tighten background checks, Abbott said background checks can be avoided, pointing to how the Dimitrios Pagourtzis, a 17-year-old who carried out the shooting in Santa Fe, Texas, in 2018, took the gun he used from a parent.

“Anyone who suggests, ‘well, maybe we should focus on background checks as opposed to mental health.’ I suggest to you is mistaken,” Abbott said.

The Republican also brushed aside talk about moving the legal age to buy rifles to 21, noting that 18-year-olds in Texas have been able to buy the guns for some 150 years and school shootings have only recently started happening.

State. Sen. Roland Gutierrez, a Democrat, interrupted the briefing to urge Abbott to call a special session so lawmakers can reconvene, and said the session should focus on gun laws.

“We have to do something,” Gutierrez said, adding that he feels 18-year-olds shouldn’t have guns.

The Texas Democratic Party, meanwhile, called for a bill that would ban “assault weapons,” which it did not define.

“The Texas Democratic Party joins their call for a special session to ban assault weapons and pass life-saving legislation to end gun violence in Texas,” Gilberto Hinojosa, the party chairman, said in a statement.

Texas House Speaker Dade Phelan, a Republican, has largely aligned with Abbott, saying he thinks the focus should be on mental health legislation as opposed to bills concerning firearms.

If that's for me, what are you talking about?
No. That was for basquebromance, just as another user/member thing, as I wanted to see some of what the article actually said, but don't like giving my email to news sites for privacy reasons and controlling spam in my Outlook "In Box" without having to go and adjust rules there.

excerpts:

New laws will be passed after the shooting at an elementary school in Uvalde, Texas Gov. Greg Abbott said on May 27.

“Do we expect any laws to come out of this devastating crime? The answer is yes. Absolutely yes,” said Abbott, a Republican.

One area will be making schools safer. He also wants laws that address the “array of healthcare issues that relate to those who commit gun crimes.”

“The status quo is unacceptable. This crime is unacceptable. We’re not going to be here and talking about it and do nothing about it. We will be looking for the best laws that we can get passed to make our communities and schools safer,” Abbott said.

Some legislators and governors see the need for bills that curb access to guns, but Abbott suggested he isn’t of the same mind.

Pressed on whether he’d support legislation to tighten background checks, Abbott said background checks can be avoided, pointing to how the Dimitrios Pagourtzis, a 17-year-old who carried out the shooting in Santa Fe, Texas, in 2018, took the gun he used from a parent.

“Anyone who suggests, ‘well, maybe we should focus on background checks as opposed to mental health.’ I suggest to you is mistaken,” Abbott said.

The Republican also brushed aside talk about moving the legal age to buy rifles to 21, noting that 18-year-olds in Texas have been able to buy the guns for some 150 years and school shootings have only recently started happening.

State. Sen. Roland Gutierrez, a Democrat, interrupted the briefing to urge Abbott to call a special session so lawmakers can reconvene, and said the session should focus on gun laws.

“We have to do something,” Gutierrez said, adding that he feels 18-year-olds shouldn’t have guns.

The Texas Democratic Party, meanwhile, called for a bill that would ban “assault weapons,” which it did not define.

“The Texas Democratic Party joins their call for a special session to ban assault weapons and pass life-saving legislation to end gun violence in Texas,” Gilberto Hinojosa, the party chairman, said in a statement.

Texas House Speaker Dade Phelan, a Republican, has largely aligned with Abbott, saying he thinks the focus should be on mental health legislation as opposed to bills concerning firearms.
Thanks. Not sure whether to take him seriously or what he is really proposing or whether he is just posing, in general during an election year.

No. That was for basquebromance, just as another user/member thing, as I wanted to see some of what the article actually said, but don't like giving my email to news sites for privacy reasons and controlling spam in my Outlook "In Box" without having to go and adjust rules there.
you're cool bro...i liked summarizing the article for you...i agree about privacy

would you support Beto?
No. Not a Beto supporter and view him as a left wing political opportunist in general. I agree more regulation is needed in Texas, and the country on weapons, but not something I would turn over to a left wing political opportunist. Serious problem, and needs to be address by serious people, but I don't think he is it. I am in Tennessee, not Texas and Texans will have to decide.

excerpts:

The only way 18 year olds shouldn't have guns is if it includes 18-20 year olds in the military also.

The only way 18 year olds shouldn't have guns is if it includes 18-20 year olds in the military also.
Seems a little insulting at first look, but in actuality, they cannot even drink legally on post. The fact that they are trained, does not include the fact they are trained and supervised when they have their weapon, at least in the Army. Off post, that level of supervision is not present, it is faulty to think it is ingrained, at that age.

I've made it abundantly clear that I think they should but I didn't refine it to just red states.

However, just red states doing it would be a bonus in my opinion. It would encourage future shooters to take on the challenge and improve upon the latest shooter's methods and efficiency.

So first get into the school, which will be relatively easy, and then whack the armed guard.

Then get on with his mission.

So we'll see how it works out won't we?
Texas is doing a knock up job managing mass shootings so far!! ;) can’t wait to see them hopefully find a solution that helps the issue

Forum List

Back