Tesla's Model S Sedan Named Safest Car In The History Of Cars

It's a bargain at $71,070! Lease it for $916 a month!

Then find someplace to plug it in. That's the biggest problem. It can't go very far and many people do not have garages where they can install a charging station.

And thanks to big oil, they are resisting putting charging stations in gas stations. They've even successfully fought off bio fuels..for the most part.

Yeah, great idea: so if I own a gas station, you think I want to...
...spend a bunch of money to install chargers.
...maintain them, repair them after the inevitable vandalism.
...pay to charge people's cars, and either eat the cost or go through all sorts of bullshit to let me sell metered power.
...have a car blocking a spot in my lot (which could easily be 1/5 of my parking!) for however long the damn thing is plugged in.

Are you fucking STUPID, boy?!

Well no, son..I fully understand it.

And as they've had first crack at it and refused to pick up the banner..

We can do things like public charging stations at parking meters and rest stops.

That would be most excellent.

Then find someplace to plug it in. That's the biggest problem. It can't go very far and many people do not have garages where they can install a charging station.

And thanks to big oil, they are resisting putting charging stations in gas stations. They've even successfully fought off bio fuels..for the most part.

open some charging stations wiseguy

I remember seeing this on a cable car show..

Tesla Roadster Takes on Porsche 911 Carrera And Wins (Video)

The driver was pretty impressed with the Tesla..but still favored the Porsche.

The tesla'S top speed is 125 the porsche's is 195.

According to this web site the porsche 911 0 to 60 is 3.1 sec

2014 Porsche 911 Turbo - Top Speed

The tesla model s 0 to 60 is 4.5 sec.

2013 Tesla Model S Performance Plus - Top Speed

The comparison was to the Tesla Roadster, not the Model S.

Roadster Features and Specifications | Tesla Motors

The AC induction motor and single speed gear box create instant torque from 0 rpm. Up to 295 lbs-ft of torque and 300 horsepower are produced as the car smoothly accelerates from 0 to 60 mph in 3.7 seconds.

The thread is about the S not the roadster so why bring the roadster into a comparison.

Still the roadster does 0-60 in 3.7 sec and has a top speed of 125 mph

The 911 does 0 - 60 in 3.1 and has a top speed of over 195 mph

I don't see how you can say the roadster beats a 911

There is still tons of resistance to the electric car..to overcome.

First of all how long is the extension cord that comes with it?. Can I drive more then a few blocks? If it's battery powered how expensive to replace the batteries if damaged in a wreck.

You probably can only go 20 mph in the stupid thing that's why it's so safe.

Invest about 5 Grand in a vintage Vespa scooter if you want value and the same performance you would get in the 80 grand cube of lead that has no value but scrap once the battery goes dead.

5 grand?! You can get a scooter for <$2500! I paid $1000 for mine...last tank was over 70MPG.

The electric auto will, in less than a decade. replace most ICE's on the new car market. There are several companies that have already exceeded the present lithium ion batteries by a factor of two to ten in the lab. Of course, getting from the lab to manufacture is a difficult road. However, now we are talking Tesla's that go anywhere from 400 to 1500 miles on one charge. And Ford Focus's, and Chevy Sparkes with 200 to 1000 miles range.

2014 Ford Focus Electric Car | All Electric Battery Powered Vehicle | Ford.com

2014 Chevy Spark EV | Electric Vehicle | Chevrolet

And many more manufacturers coming out with EV's, even Mercedes and BMW.

Keys for the mainstream appeal:
(1) TOTAL Price (without Gov incentive): Btw $20-$30K
(2) Decent Looking Car (not the $40K Chevy Cruze that the Volt looks like)
(3) 4 door 5 passenger.
(4) Charge range - >300 miles, perferably >400 miles
(5) Quick Recharge Ability (Gas station need a super charger that can charge the battery (or most of the battery in 5 mins or less).

Check off all of these any you have a mainstream products that will put the gas car out of business.

The electric auto will, in less than a decade. replace most ICE's on the new car market. There are several companies that have already exceeded the present lithium ion batteries by a factor of two to ten in the lab. Of course, getting from the lab to manufacture is a difficult road. However, now we are talking Tesla's that go anywhere from 400 to 1500 miles on one charge. And Ford Focus's, and Chevy Sparkes with 200 to 1000 miles range.

They can talk all they want about pie in the sky numbers. Real world tests show the model S gets far less than the 260 range claimed by Tesla.

I don't have anything against electric cars, but right now they are so expensive. It also takes a lot to manufacture the batteries, energy wise that is.

Personally I hope it gets cheaper to produce them, so more people start driving them. Leaves more for gas guzzlers like me. :cool:

In what way does it take more energy to manufacture the battery than the internal combustion engine? Especialy since you have to manufacture all the neccessary things to clean the exhaust of the ICE.

open some charging stations wiseguy

Tesla opening I-5 recharging stations - Puget Sound Business Journal

Tesla Motors is opening two battery charging stations along the I-5 corridor in Washington state on Thursday.

One of the charging stations will be located in Burlington at 9384 Old Highway 99 North and the other will be in Centralia at 1200 Lum Road.

The Burlington station will have eight chargers and the Centralia station will have 10 chargers.

"Tesla’s Superchargers are conveniently located off major highways near cafes, shopping centers and travel plazas and are designed to enable free long distance travel between city centers. Superchargers are substantially more powerful than any other charging technology to date providing 120 kilowatts of power and replenishing three hours of driving in about twenty minutes," Tesla said in a statement

Forum List

Back