Teacher writes "loser" on student's assignment

At what point is a teacher allowed to call a student a loser?

If a kid is 14, doing drugs, getting arrested, cutting school, fighting.....

Can the school tell the kid "You will never amount to anything if you don't clean up your act" ???

Completely different thing from putting "loser" on the kids paper.

Just out of curiousity, how many children have you raised?
I will be glad to answer that with the understanding that you will have made this about family.

I have raised one daughter...a A student, never in trouble....I would like to think partially because I keep in close contact with her teachers, participate in volunteering and am on her to take personal responsility for her learning and not expect to be coddled. She knows I say "Cowgirl Up" a lot.

So if your child had been told she was a loser by her teacher, you would have been ok with that?
I would want to know from my child what SHE did to elicite such a comment.

I will be glad to answer that with the understanding that you will have made this about family.

I have raised one daughter...a A student, never in trouble....I would like to think partially because I keep in close contact with her teachers, participate in volunteering and am on her to take personal responsility for her learning and not expect to be coddled. She knows I say "Cowgirl Up" a lot.

So if your child had been told she was a loser by her teacher, you would have been ok with that?

Which is probably part of the reason YOUR child is not a loser.

Does it matter why? In this case the child has been a target of bullying and harassment since this experience and received almost 100 threatening text messages. I guess you're saying that if your child made a bad grade or did something unacceptable in class or in her assignments then it's ok for the teacher to label her a loser. I have five children (a son and four daughters) and I know how easily it can be to destroy one's self esteem at 12 years of age. A teachers job is to teach, not to ridicule or demean.

This reminds me of the time when my little brother was in Kindergarten. He came home from school and told my mother that Mrs Shell had called him stupid. The next day he came home and told my mother that Mrs Shell had hit him.

So my mother got all riled up and went to school to demand that Mrs Shell be fired.

The principal looked at her and told her there was no Mrs Shell working for the school system. So they called my brothers teacher who explained that Mrs Shell was a girl in my brothers class named Michelle

This reminds me of the time when my little brother was in Kindergarten. He came home from school and told my mother that Mrs Shell had called him stupid. The next day he came home and told my mother that Mrs Shell had hit him.

So my mother got all riled up and went to school to demand that Mrs Shell be fired.

The principal looked at her and told her there was no Mrs Shell working for the school system. So they called my brothers teacher who explained that Mrs Shell was a girl in my brothers class named Michelle

There's a great short story by Shirley Jackson called "Charles".

Does it matter why? In this case the child has been a target of bullying and harassment since this experience and received almost 100 threatening text messages. I guess you're saying that if your child made a bad grade or did something unacceptable in class or in her assignments then it's ok for the teacher to label her a loser. I have five children (a son and four daughters) and I know how easily it can be to destroy one's self esteem at 12 years of age. A teachers job is to teach, not to ridicule or demean.

I find that quite hard to believe with today's attitude towards "school boys" and "school girls". I would easier believe this kid is now a hero to his peers. That's how much education and doing well is devalued today within peer groups.

Ame®icano;2104905 said:
That teacher crossed the line.

At the other hand, I bet kid is a loser.

Sadly, she may be, teachers have a tremendous influence on kids.....my son was great at math until his first grade teacher got ahold of him. 12 years of schooling and he couldn't get rid of the influence she'd had on him. Now he's going to Devry university and he's suddenly realizing he's not as stupid as that teacher managed to convince him he was. Thankfully, she no longer teaches.

How much math did your son do that helped you determine he was "great at math" before 1st grade? :eusa_eh:

BTW...where are you getting that this kid has been "threatened"? I just re-read the entire thread including OP and don't see that anywhere.

I find that quite hard to believe with today's attitude towards "school boys" and "school girls". I would easier believe this kid is now a hero to his peers. That's how much education and doing well is devalued today within peer groups.

Are you suggesting these people are lying about her being bullied, harrassed and getting threatening text messages? And being labeled a loser is somehow a badge of honor, worthy of being deemed a hero? You'll have to provide evidence of that if that's what you're saying. Apparently you didn't read the article.

Teacher Rex Roland Writes 'Loser' on Student's Assignments - AOL News

Last edited:

BTW...where are you getting that this kid has been "threatened"? I just re-read the entire thread including OP and don't see that anywhere.

I got it from the news article. I guess I'm the only one that researches stories that only contain a couple of paragraphs. I linked it on my other post.

you don't have children, do you?
Oh sure they can have their feelings hurt and pout for a while, but they are fundamentally optimists about themselves. It's only when they hit puberty that they get all goth/emo. Perhaps it has been too long since any of them were 12, but it did seem to me as thought 13 was the magic number for "OMG I'm sooo pathetic"
And they outgrow that too.
Except for one friend of theirs who killed himself because his folks did not accept his homosexuality, but that's an old tale.

you don't have children, do you?
Oh sure they can have their feelings hurt and pout for a while, but they are fundamentally optimists about themselves. It's only when they hit puberty that they get all goth/emo. Perhaps it has been too long since any of them were 12, but it did seem to me as thought 13 was the magic number for "OMG I'm sooo pathetic"
And they outgrow that too.
Except for one friend of theirs who killed himself because his folks did not accept his homosexuality, but that's an old tale.

i have a 12 year old boy. and i can tell you they wound easily. how quickly they heal depends in large part on their other resources and what they get their self-esteem from. but i think you underestimate the depth of damage a teacher can do.

i STILL remember the teacher who embarrassed me at kindergarten orientation... not that it affects me today, but i promise you they don't forget.

Are you suggesting these people are lying about her being bullied, harrassed and getting threatening text messages? And being labeled a loser is somehow a badge of honor, worthy of being deemed a hero? You'll have to provide evidence of that if that's what you're saying. Apparently you didn't read the article.

Popular teacher.

Parent complains.

Kid gets heat.

But, I do not believe the parent on the amount of texts...besides....what's a 6th grader doing with a text capable cell phone anyways? Sounds to me like poor parenting here.

Popular teacher.

Parent complains.

Kid gets heat.

But, I do not believe the parent on the amount of texts...besides....what's a 6th grader doing with a text capable cell phone anyways? Sounds to me like poor parenting here.

I see, blame everyone but the teacher.

i have a 12 year old boy. and i can tell you they wound easily. how quickly they heal depends in large part on their other resources and what they get their self-esteem from. but i think you underestimate the depth of damage a teacher can do.
The difference between memory and being there now.
Parents have a lot to do with the healing - almost half the girls I knew (well enough to know whether it was the case) in college had been molested by relatives before they were 18. Universally their parents knew about it (at some point) and had done nothing- they all had issues. The ones with happy childhoods (meaning decent parents) were a lot more self secure.
I will presume your kids are pretty secure, and if not TMI.

Forum List

Back