Tactics against attack with a knife

It may turn out that you are trapped and there is nowhere to run

Then it goes right back to what was said about "situational awareness", and never let yourself get into that situation in the first place.

Look, 14 years ago I was jumped by 2 guys with metal pipes and the only thing I had in my hand was 2 pizzas. They thought they had set up the perfect ambush. Want to know what I did?

Yep, I ran.

Only a fool lets themselves get into a situation where they have no means of escape. And a bigger fool lets himself get into a fight with somebody with a knife.

Most of you all on the "knife" side of this are wanting to play some kind of macho Rambo fantasy. I could not give a damn about your fantasy. And want to know something? I am much less worried about them throwing their knife. Even less know how to throw one than know how to fight with one. And odds are they just threw their weapon away. As I am still leaving.

By the way, even a pistol cannot always save here, you need the pistol to be easy to get, and the "cowboy skill" must be honed, otherwise there will not be enough time to get it, and the situation may worsen due to shock and panic.

This is controversial advice. It may turn out that you are trapped and there is nowhere to run, it may turn out that your leg is injured, or in the end it may turn out that he runs faster than you, and turning your back you became an easy target for him.
Of course, it is better to avoid this, but it may not always work out.
Even if you run away, you must understand that you still need time to turn around and orient yourself, and here time is not on your side.
Besides, if he knows how to throw a knife, he can throw it in your back
It's not at all a fact that running in this situation is better than fighting.
Mushroom was also trained in situational awareness. Most of the time it is enough to avoid this kind of thing. 99.5+% of people cannot throw a knife worth a damn, and if they can, they only have two basic ranges (takes a lot of practice just to get one) or the knife won't even go in, as the revolutions change with distance, and the point has to be somewhat perpendicular to impact target, maybe within 20 Degrees +/-. Target running away from you, you can forget it. It ain't like TV.

Then it goes right back to what was said about "situational awareness", and never let yourself get into that situation in the first place.

Look, 14 years ago I was jumped by 2 guys with metal pipes and the only thing I had in my hand was 2 pizzas. They thought they had set up the perfect ambush. Want to know what I did?

Yep, I ran.

Only a fool lets themselves get into a situation where they have no means of escape. And a bigger fool lets himself get into a fight with somebody with a knife.

Most of you all on the "knife" side of this are wanting to play some kind of macho Rambo fantasy. I could not give a damn about your fantasy. And want to know something? I am much less worried about them throwing their knife. Even less know how to throw one than know how to fight with one. And odds are they just threw their weapon away. As I am still leaving.
As a child, I had a case, I already mentioned this here, when my friend was visiting me, he went crazy, he took a kitchen knife, and it turned out that I was locked in the corridor, the only way was to the kitchen, and then dead end. At that time I was not engaged in hand-to-hand combat, and did not really know how to kick with my feet, nevertheless, I intuitively found this very option: I knocked out the knife from him with my foot.

Once I was also attacked by two, one with a pipe, the other with a stone, I also ran away :) A stone flew in pursuit of me, but passed me by. I saw it when ran. But these guys weren't going to kill me :)

2 guys with metal pipes
There was such a case, 2 teenagers were offended by a forty-year-old man, the argument came out because of drinking, but it doesn't matter. Then he went to his apartment, undressed and went to bed. The teenagers rang the doorbell a few minutes later, his wife opened, they went in with two pipes and beat to death. He would not have been able to run from there, but if he had been able to fight them, he might have stayed alive.

I am licensed to carry, often do and live in a stand your ground state. Any cop will tell you the best safest way to handle an attacker armed with a knife is as Mudwhistle suggested originally, is to draw your weapon and put 3 personal defense rounds in their chest, unless it requires more, as police find in sometimes requires more to convince the assailant to not only drop the knife, but cease to be a threat at that time or anytime in the future. It is the only thing important, if someone attacks you with a knife. Does not matter their sex, color, religion, mental state, drugs or alcohol involvement, none of it, only that you and the surrounding noncombatants live, and the attacker ceases to be a threat. Don't get emotional, feel sorry for them (or yourself) or hesitate, their live vs your is just not important. You can be as emotional as you wish later, though I do not recommend it when talking to police, public, or anybody else. Sometimes you must keep your own counsel.
If you listen to fncceo's first tip about situational awareness, you can probably avoid the situation and should. His was the best of all, for all encounters, especially potentially violent ones. For most Americans in free-man states, have a weapon for personal defense is a given. I recommend you get some training, purchase a high quality dependable personal weapon of choice, and obtain a carry permit. Many states, like mine allow state citizens over a certain again and without felony record (normal people) to carry without permit. A permit allows you this advantage in about 30 states with reciprocal agreements. It is and should be your right, until you prove yourself unworthy to have that right.
Whats all this gun shit? I thought this was a knife fight.

Whats all this gun shit? I thought this was a knife fight.
Never take a knife to a gun fight. If somebody pulls a knife to attack you, shoot them with your gun, like an adult, with responsibilities to be there for your wife, your kids, maybe your coworkers or next door neighbor.
If you have agreed to have a knife fight, go for it, but it is really, really stupid. If you did not agree to enjoin a knife fight, it is not a required activity and certainly no sporting event. If you are a functional adult, you should know how to handle weapons, when to use, when not to use, and when necessary to do it, without hesitation, coldly logical in the moment and maintain that cold logic until the situation is resolved. Remember, if they attack you with a knife, the have or will attack somebody else with a knife. If a rabid dog, came at you attempting to bite, would you battle it out tooth for tooth, bite for bite to see who is the victor, or would you put down the rabid animal? There will be time for your sensibilities in the weeks or months afterwards.
Mudwhistle was first to mention it. By the way, let me know when you see a news report where a punk pulls a knife on a cop, and the cop pulls his own knife to make it a fair fight. Life is not fair. It was never meant to be.

Last edited:
I had a judo and jujitsu instructor that said if you are unarmed and get in a fight with someone with a knife expect to get cut.

He also once said, “I may be a 7th degree black belt but a man with a .45 auto is an 8th degree.”

Therefore I legally carry a concealed handgun.

I had a judo and jujitsu instructor that said if you are unarmed and get in a fight with someone with a knife expect to get cut.

He also once said, “I may be a 7th degree black belt but a man with a .45 auto is an 8th degree.”

Therefore I legally carry a concealed handgun.
As a rule, these "masters" will not resist even against a simple hooligan without a knife, this is became the profanation for a long time, only Thai boxing is suitable for the applied part. They love to show sophisticated techniques that work great when the opponent gives in, or when it's a woman.

As a rule, these "masters" will not resist even against a simple hooligan without a knife, this is became the profanation for a long time, only Thai boxing is suitable for the applied part. They love to show sophisticated techniques that work great when the opponent gives in, or when it's a woman.
My instructor had a number of techniques used to disarm a person with a knife as well as one with a gun. In class practice I found it harder to disarm a person with a knife than one with a gun dumb enough to get within arms reach especially if the person with the knife knew something about knife fighting.

However my instructor did say. “If someone comes up to you with a gun or a knife and asks for your wallet — look into their eyes as the eyes are the mirror of the soul. If you seriously believe they intend to harm you use the techniques I have taught you. Otherwise just give him your wallet. You can replace everything in your wallet easier than you can replace your health or your life. (He also recommended carrying a throw away wallet with a little money and some outdated credit cards to give to the robber.)

They now play performances everywhere, in which they show the wrestlers of the winning punchers. Even if it was not a performance, one must take into account that there are also boots on the street, and no one will think about accidentally hitting the kidneys or the back of the head. Khabib Nurmagomedov spends almost the entire battle holding the opponent's leg. On the street simple drunks would drive him into the asphalt with such a technics. Therefore, he does not sort things out in the MMA style on the street, he only suits a crowd of jackals, even when it comes to one man.

look into their eyes as the eyes are the mirror of the soul
Yes, this is especially noticeable in the eyes of scammers with an innocent look.

Fedor Emelianenko, in his best years, did not participate at all in the struggle of views, he preferred to knock out opponents not with his eyes, but with his hands, in real dimension.

In class practice I found it harder to disarm a person with a knife than one with a gun dumb enough to get within arms reach especially if the person with the knife knew something about knife fighting.
The problem with such practices is that they do not resemble the dynamics of a real battle, especially a mortal one, there is no such adrenaline and there is no combat trance.
Usually, if in a real battle you start thinking about some complicated techniques, you immediately find yourself in intensive care. Only the simplest things work that have been worked out over the years. For example, a strong backhand always helped Fraser, regardless of "strategy". If you have a strong punch, this is a reliable weapon, if you have thousands of complex schemes in your head, then it is better to do it with an instructor or with a girl in bed.
Strategies will work in real combat, but it should be a concept, not an algorithm

Here I am trying to reason precisely from the point of view of a general strategy: we try to break the distance, we try to hit the hand with a knife. It's easy enough not to get confused. If we at least manage to hit the opponent hard, he will lose shape, and the victory wil more real. I don't believe in the techniques shown by hand-to-hand combat instructors with grappling. It too dengerous even try to do it you fly to the knife and you hope only on you can grab his hand, which is unlikely. It is foolish to take such risks.

I remembered one more incident. Once we had a fight with a friend, I was proving something and did not notice how he broke a pointed branch from a tree and put it to my stomach. I don't know how serious his intentions to stab me were and how dangerous it was, but I just knocked him out with a side punch. It was at close distance.

Probably he needs to make a small swing in this position, you can just play ahead of the curve. Attack is good defense. This happens in chess: if you are threatened, you can defend yourself by attacking another piece, the potential exchange will not be in his favor and this will tie his hands.
In general, in chess, constant retreat leads to a trap, if you retreat then you are playing his game. So hares get caught in a wolf ambush. Escape is usually not the best strategy.

Meanwhile, the one who attacks with a knife has an obvious weakness. For attacks, he needs to come up to a medium distance. Therefore, I think that the simplest and most effective tactic is to work with feet from a long distance and a constant gap in the distance, retreats back and to the sides.

This is very naive, even an inexperienced attacker with a knife has a good chance of hitting a well-trained opponent. For example, in any combat MMA or boxing event, if there is a completely mismatch, for example, when a champion faces with beginner in the ring, the beginner manages to slightly touch the champion a couple of times, sometimes even make champion's nose bleeding, before being knocked out. But I think it's obvious what it would be like if a beginner had a knife.

This is very naive, even an inexperienced attacker with a knife has a good chance of hitting a well-trained opponent. For example, in any combat MMA or boxing event, if there is a completely mismatch, for example, when a champion faces with beginner in the ring, the beginner manages to slightly touch the champion a couple of times, sometimes even make champion's nose bleeding, before being knocked out. But I think it's obvious what it would be like if a beginner had a knife.
This is because now there are no real athletes in MMA, they are artists. When MMA was male, that kind of thing basically didn't happen.

And now in MMA you can become a champion simply by holding the foot.

If I were offered to fight Vovchanchin or Krokop or Tank, I would be afraid for my health, even now, when they are veterans, if I were offered to fight modern top MMA fighters, I would have left without preparation. I can't even imagine how they could defeat me by sniffing my ass. I'll just crush them with this ass, and then knock them into the flooring, they are nothing.

He took off his panties to stay in the weight class

This clown gets knocked out by every second schoolboy, I don't even doubt it

Last edited:

Here's a guy who doesn't known by anyone. Do you really think McGregor would beat him?
Take any Thai from a remote village now and he will knock down all the MMA tops

Last edited:

Forum List

Back