Tactics against attack with a knife

rupol2000

Gold Member
Aug 22, 2021
This is not a recommendation, just my personal considerations, not supported by sufficient experience.

Most of the techniques against the knife deal with tricky hand moves and grips. In my opinion, this technique is too dangerous and ineffective. To apply such techniques, you need to hone from to automatism and have excellent physical data, no one has time for this.
Meanwhile, the one who attacks with a knife has an obvious weakness. For attacks, he needs to come up to a medium distance. Therefore, I think that the simplest and most effective tactic is to work with feet from a long distance and a constant gap in the distance, retreats back and to the sides.

By the way, once I managed to knock out a knife from the aggressor with my foot. True, it was in childhood, and the attacker had a kitchen knife

Also low kicks can be effective, although I have not tested this. If the enemy burst into a medium distance and you are locked or do not have time to leave, you can try to hit on the legs and at the same time try to neutralize the danger with blows to the hand that hold knife. This can confuse him. I have not tested this but I think that it may work.

True, the enemy can stab in the leg, this is also dangerous. But firstly, the risks are still less than a blow to the torso, secondly, this is unusual for him, and in the third it is difficult for him to hit to fast-flying legs.

At the same time, we cannot throw out a lot of blows, because of this, we can quickly lose strength.

In general, other things being equal, I consider this approach more effective than defense with hands.

PS
of course, throwing improvised means to a knife will also be effective

Last edited:
This is not a recommendation, just my personal considerations, not supported by sufficient experience.

Most of the techniques against the knife deal with tricky hand moves and grips. In my opinion, this technique is too dangerous and ineffective. To apply such techniques, you need to hone from to automatism and have excellent physical data, no one has time for this.
Meanwhile, the one who attacks with a knife has an obvious weakness. For attacks, he needs to come up to a medium distance. Therefore, I think that the simplest and most effective tactic is to work with feet from a long distance and a constant gap in the distance, retreats back and to the sides.

By the way, once I managed to knock out a knife from the aggressor with my foot. True, it was in childhood, and the attacker had a kitchen knife

Also low kicks can be effective, although I have not tested this. If the enemy burst into a medium distance and you are locked or do not have time to leave, you can try to hit on the legs and at the same time try to neutralize the danger with blows to the hand that hold knife. This can confuse him. I have not tested this but I think that it may work.

True, the enemy can stab in the leg, this is also dangerous. But firstly, the risks are still less than a blow to the torso, secondly, this is unusual for him, and in the third it is difficult for him to hit to fast-flying legs.

At the same time, we cannot throw out a lot of blows, because of this, we can quickly lose strength.

In general, other things being equal, I consider this approach more effective than defense with hands.

PS
Using your bare hands with a knife-welding attacker is tough.
The best thing to do is avoid the confrontation.
The second best thing is carry a gun. Three warning shots in the chest usually does the job.
Most people who use knives don't have much training at it....so they tend to hold the knife incorrectly.
Still....they can cut you by accident.....so the best thing is stay out of range.....wait for them to lunge at you and grab their arm to disarm them. Or find something long to hit them with. A long leather belt with a big belt-buckle works pretty well....or a nylon belt can work as a whip.
Don't take your shirt off because they could stab you while you're doing it....and that's just a trick they do in Hollywood to show off their muscles.
Clearly they intend to kill you if they lunge at you...so you need to hit them in weak spots to disable them....the eyes, throat, genitals, don't play around because they want to kill you.....don't hold anything back.
Still the best solution is run like Hell and don't mess with them.

Last edited:
  • Banned
so the best thing is stay out of range.....wait for them to lunge at you and grab their arm to disarm them.
Grabbing the hand is not easy, you still need to hold it, which is why, in my opinion, hand techniques against a knife are not very effective. If you hit any area of the attacker's arm with your foot in the boot, it will disarm him. It's easier if you can kick.

For example, in MMA, the hand is almost never caught. It's hard to do, you need a lightning-fast reaction

Grabbing the hand is not easy, you still need to hold it, which is why, in my opinion, hand techniques against a knife are not very effective. If you hit any area of the attacker's arm with your foot in the boot, it will disarm him. It's easier if you can kick.

For example, in MMA, the hand is almost never caught. It's hard to do, you need a lightning-fast reaction
Well....if they guy is drunk it's pretty easy.
Course if he's wet from sweat it's difficult to hang on....but then you don't just hang on....you're fucking him up with elbow strikes to the throat or nose. Hit someone hard in the nose and their eyes well up with tears and they can't see. Then you step back....grab their head and try to put your knee thru their skull.

Last edited:
  • Banned
Well....if they guy is drunk it's pretty easy.
Course if he's wet from sweat it's difficult to hang on....but then you don't just hang on....you're fucking him up with elbow strikes to the throat or nose. Hit someone hard in the nose and their eyes well up with tears and they can't see. Then you step back....grab their head and try to put your knee thru his skull.
The drunk is not always slow. There may even be an advantage in the speed of punch, because the brakes are broken, the body is relaxed. This allows you to hit harder.

PS When I fought in a drunken state, it often happened that I knocked out opponents with one combination, and I felt strong power in the punch. At such a moment, it is beneficial when the opponent tries to exchange with you and does not boxing in play manner

Last edited:
1636288843072.png

The drunk is not always slow. There may even be an advantage in the speed of punch, because the brakes are broken, the body is relaxed. This allows you to hit harder.
Not really.....your reactions are slowed by alcohol.
It's just situational awareness.
Looking for openings...and react to what the other person does.
Be like water.
I rarely attack without waiting for them to do something first.
Blocking and striking together is a basic Wing Chung technique.
Throws them off balance and leaves them open.

Not really.....your reactions are slowed by alcohol.
It's just situational awareness.
Looking for openings...and react to what the other person does.
Be like water.
I rarely attack without waiting for them to do something first.
Blocking and striking together is a basic Wing Chung technique.
Throws them off balance and leaves them open.
Yes, reaction and coordination are worse, but the punch speed can be even higher. I added there in post above from my experience. If there is a hard exchange of blows in a drunken fight, I usually knocked down my opponent. Speed of punch is increase
Sullivan always fought drunk, it played on his side
This does not always work and not for everyone, but it does happen.

Last edited:
Yes, reaction and coordination are worse, but the punch speed can be even higher. I added there in post above from my experience. If there is a hard exchange of blows in a drunken fight, I usually knocked down my opponent. Speed of punch is increase
Sullivan always fought drunk, it played on his side
It seems like you're moving faster when you're drunk....but if someone were to video the fight you'd laugh at how silly you look.
Yes....being relaxed increases your speed.

It seems like you're moving faster when you're drunk....but if someone were to video the fight you'd laugh at how silly you look.
Yes....being relaxed increases your speed.
It may look normal, as if the jaguar attacked the prey, first hiding, and then abruptly jerking. Once, with one blow, I catastrophically injured an opponent, he lost consciousness, tore all his lips and lay in bed for 2 weeks. It was a very quick blow. I hurt my hand and wrist very badly

Some people, especially the elderly, drink precisely to move freely. This is probably the action of dopamine. Normally, before a fight, hormones should already mobilize the body for speed, cutting off pain, but this does not always work
This is exactly the reason why drunks like to dance

And it may turn out to be even more dangerous, due to the fact that you underestimate your opponent. He may seem slow, but it will suddenly throw a very powerful quick blow that will shut you off.

PS
you are not James Bond or Chuck Norris

It may look normal, as if the jaguar attacked the prey, first hiding, and then abruptly jerking. Once, with one blow, I catastrophically injured an opponent, he lost consciousness, tore all his lips and lay in bed for 2 weeks. It was a very quick blow. I hurt my hand and wrist very badly
I broke a guy's hand by blocking a punch with my forehead.
That's why I like using elbows.

Great tread. Can you do one about tactics against attack by someone driving a pickup truck?

Forum List

Back