Supreme Court tosses NYC Gun Challenge

Levant

Platinum Member
Apr 27, 2020
Northeast Oklahoma

The Supreme Court, ruled 6-3 (the article incorrectly says 5-3) to drop the NYC case challenging a regulation that forbids taking guns out of state. After the case was filed in the Supreme Court, NYC changed their regulation to undo the Supreme Court case and the 5 liberals fell for it. Gorsuch, Alito, and Thomas, correctly, objected to dropping the case because it allows the manipulation of laws just to manipulate the Court.

Kavanaugh and Roberts, once again for each, demonstrate their surrender to the left.

Actually, they were correct in their dissent- as was Judge Thomas

The Supreme Court, ruled 6-3 (the article incorrectly says 5-3) to drop the NYC case challenging a regulation that forbids taking guns out of state. After the case was filed in the Supreme Court, NYC changed their regulation to undo the Supreme Court case and the 5 liberals fell for it. Gorsuch, Alito, and Thomas, correctly, objected to dropping the case because it allows the manipulation of laws just to manipulate the Court.

Kavanaugh and Roberts, once again for each, demonstrate their surrender to the left.
Nonsense.

There’s no point in the Court wasting its time on a case now moot.

New York did the right thing by amending the law; the Supreme Court was correct to dismiss.

The thread premise is nothing but ignorant gibberish.

Nonsense.

New York did the right thing by amending the law; the Supreme Court was correct to dismiss.

At least three Justices of the Supreme Court disagree with you...

You'll find me often pointing out that Justices make mistakes but I'd say that their view proves the thread premise is not ignorant gibberish. Not having a better, defensible, argument than was yours more closely fits the description of ignorant gibberish.

Nonsense.

You'll find me often pointing out that Justices make mistakes but I'd say that their view proves the thread premise is not ignorant gibberish. Not having a better, defensible, argument than was yours more closely fits the description of ignorant gibberish.
It is ignorant gibberish.

Below is a link to the ruling illustrating why it’s ignorant gibberish.

This was rumored to be the case where the Supremes were suppose to establish Strict Scrutiny to the right to keep and bear arms. That would cause all the filthy ass oppressive State and locals against the right to keep and bear arms to be reevaluated and probaly overturn.

Probably Mr. "Obamacare is a Tax" had cold feet.

However, there are other cases pending that they are considering that could be better cases.

Nonsense.

It is ignorant gibberish.

Below is a link to the ruling illustrating why it’s ignorant gibberish.

You'll have to do better than that. Unless you're claiming the majority's argument is ignorant gibberish, you'll have to quote the parts of that particular document are gibberish. Simply pointing to a link is not a defense of your argument.

From the dissenting opinion:

But if a case is on our docket and we have jurisdiction, we have an obligation to decide it. As Chief Justice Marshall wrote for the Court in Cohens v. Virginia, 6 Wheat. 264, 404 (1821), “[w]e have no more right to decline the exercise of jurisdiction which is given, than to usurp that which is not given.” Thus, in this case, we must apply the well-established standards for determining whether a case is moot, and under those standards, we still have a live case before us. It is certainly true that the new City ordinance and the new State law give petitioners most of what they sought, but that is not the test for mootness. Instead, “a case ‘becomes moot only when it is impossible for a court to grant any effectual relief whatever to the prevailing party.’” Chafin v. Chafin, 568 U. S. 165, 172 (2013) (emphasis added). “‘As long as the parties have a concrete interest, however small, in the outcome of the litigation, the case is not moot.’” Ibid. (emphasis added).

Respondents have failed to meet this “heavy burden.” Adarand Constructors, Inc. v. Slater, 528 U. S. 216, 222 (2000) (per curiam) (internal quotation marks omitted). This is so for two reasons. First, the changes in City and State law do not provide petitioners with all the injunctive relief they sought. Second, if we reversed on the merits, the District Court on remand could award damages to remedy the constitutional violation that petitioners suffered.

That part isn't gibberish.

yet if you read why it was dismissed, it was because the city amended their original resolution that started this and there was no need from the original case to pursue it. also, the article says "city" not state.

leaving off important details on the way to your faux rage.

yet if you read why it was dismissed, it was because the city amended their original resolution that started this and there was no need from the original case to pursue it. also, the article says "city" not state.

I didn't leave off anything. It's right there in the page I linked. It is a copyright and rule violation for me to quote the entire article. I referenced that part that I was choosing to react to. You're welcome to quote the part you like.

My point is mostly about the two fake conservatives,, Kavanaugh and Roberts, joining their fellow liberals. The justices for whom I have the most respect, Gorsuch, Alito, and Thomas, disagree with the majority and with you.

You may, and apparently do, disagree with those three justices and me, but to dismiss the claim as flawed or deceptive is ridiculous; men far wiser than you provided excellent documentation as to why the Court should have continued with the case - because, as I quoted, the city did not address ALL of the claims of the appellants.

I didn't leave off anything. It's right there in the page I linked. It is a copyright and rule violation for me to quote the entire article. I referenced that part that I was choosing to react to. You're welcome to quote the part you like.

My point is mostly about the two fake conservatives,, Kavanaugh and Roberts, joining their fellow liberals. The justices for whom I have the most respect, Gorsuch, Alito, and Thomas, disagree with the majority and with you.

You may, and apparently do, disagree with those three justices and me, but to dismiss the claim as flawed or deceptive is ridiculous; men far wiser than you provided excellent documentation as to why the Court should have continued with the case - because, as I quoted, the city did not address ALL of the claims of the appellants.
Men wiser than me also made the decision they made.

Men wiser than me also made the decision they made.

Absolutely. So the discussion should be on the decision or the dissension and not on the messenger. So let's get back to the real debate.

The gun must be packaged and in your trunk.
That saves lives.

That saves lives.

Well, there are a couple members here that should be carrying theirs packaged and in their trunk because guns are like alcohol to them and give them courage and big mouths - and this by their own admission.

But for most of the millions of other honest gun owners who carry guns on their person every day, there's no need to lock it away.

That saves lives.

Well, there are a couple members here that should be carrying theirs packaged and in their trunk because guns are like alcohol to them and give them courage and big mouths - and this by their own admission.

But for most of the millions of other honest gun owners who carry guns on their person every day, there's no need to lock it away.
The NYS crime rate is not in the gun owners favor.
I can buy an air gun because I live in Nassau County.
UPS stopped delivering so I have to use FedEx.

It became moot.

They had to drop it. They were acting under proper judicial procedure, under the Constitution.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Case_or_Controversy_Clause
Article III, Section 2, Clause 1 of the Constitution:

The judicial Power shall extend to all Cases, in Law and Equity, arising under this Constitution, the Laws of the United States, and Treaties made, or which shall be made, under their Authority;—to all Cases affecting Ambassadors, other public ministers and Consuls;—to all Cases of admiralty and maritime Jurisdiction;—to Controversies to which the United States shall be a Party;—to Controversies between two or more States;—between a State and Citizens of another State;—between Citizens of different States;—between Citizens of the same State claiming Lands under Grants of different States, and between a State, or the Citizens thereof, and foreign States, Citizens or Subjects.

I don't like it either. New York commies knew they were about to get smoked, so they ducked and ran. They should be ordered to pay attorney's fees for their bait and switch chicken shit. I would accept the case only on the issue of attorney's fees and award $400,000,000 to be paid to gun rights advocacy groups.

Forum List

Back