Supreme Court: Coach Can Pray on the Sidelines. Ruling 6-3

Status
Not open for further replies.

SweetSue92

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2018
USA
A win for religious freedom. For you Constitutional remedial learners: there is no "separation of church and state" in the Constitution. The 1st Amendment says ONLY that Congress cannot establish a state religion, as in the Church of England. That's it.

Bad decision by the Court.

The Coach is a paid employee, by choosing to pray to his chosen god he is endorsing that god as part of his official duties as head coach. Endorsing one religion over all others is the first step to establishing it.

I cannot wait till the Satanist get ahold of this and start to hold their version of "prayers" after a football game.

The Coach is a paid employee, by choosing to pray to his chosen god he is endorsing that god as part of his official duties as head coach. Endorsing one religion over all others is the first step to establishing it.

I cannot wait till the Satanist get ahold of this and start to hold their version of "prayers" after a football game.
Wrong... Deeply held personal beliefs are not restricted by employment.

As the TRUMPCourt continues to erode Constitutional protections long understood.

The coach has a right to personally pray but not to coerce players to participate in public prayer

The coach was fired for ignoring instructions not to hold public prayers not for the act of praying

Also from the opinion, Gorsuch:

"There is no conflict between the constitutional commands of the First Amendment in this case. There is only the “mere shadow” of a conflict, a false choice premised on a misconstruction of the Establishment Clause. "

As the TRUMPCourt continues to erode Constitutional protections long understood.

The coach has a right to personally pray but not to coerce players to participate in public prayer

The coach was fired for ignoring instructions not to hold public prayers not for the act of praying

Wrong. Read the opinion.

It was just a private prayer in which NO ONE was forced to join.

You are overly sensitive because it is a free speech right to pray and being an employee is irrelevant because he was doing it discreetly in private prayer in the middle of the football field.

I am an atheist who isn't bothered by it as I understand why people do it.

Correct, he can pray all he likes, just not part of his official duties

Wrong. His Constitutional rights, as outlined in the First Amendment, do not stop at the schoolhouse door or the playing field. He can personally pray. He cannot coerce students to pray. But he does not have to give up his rights because he is at a school function.

Also from the opinion, Gorsuch:

"There is no conflict between the constitutional commands of the First Amendment in this case. There is only the “mere shadow” of a conflict, a false choice premised on a misconstruction of the Establishment Clause. "

And?

I am not supposed this was the outcome for the case, with the court the way it is everyone knew this would be the outcome.

Does not mean I have to agree with it.

But, since the door was opened, you can expect to see some pretty wild praying going on soon

And?

I am not supposed this was the outcome for the case, with the court the way it is everyone knew this would be the outcome.

Does not mean I have to agree with it.

But, since the door was opened, you can expect to see some pretty wild praying going on soon

It's not just "the ruling". It's what the Constitution says. The three liberals don't care what the Constitution says. They just emote. We know this.

It was just a private prayer in which NO ONE was forced to join.

You are overly sensitive because it is a free speech right to pray and being an employee is irrelevant because he was doing it discreetly in private prayer in the middle of the football field.

I am an atheist who isn't bothered by it as I understand why people do it.

He did it in the middle of the football field, there was nothing private about it.

By it very nature, nothing done on the 50 yard line of a football stadium full of people is discrete.

And I am a follower of Jesus who also understands why people do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back