supply chain problems. I will bet most people here can't find this or that product anymore

I wouldn't buy Heinz stuff because of their association with John Kerry

But I 've noticed other things are no longer available and when I ask the companies or their reps about it, I get nowhere.

Why are some products not getting through but others, no problem?

Monster energy drinks keep running out in the stores here, the juice-flavored ones with sugar in them.

Supposedly its because of a shortage of aluminum cans.

Nearly every product line is dominated by only a couple of companies or just one, and with no competition there is no fear of losing shelf space, especially since WalMart as effectively taken over many suppliers; they can make more money by just stockpiling stuff and raising prices, and make out like bandits, pun intended. Same with oil companies and every other industry. Americans are mindless consumers and too stupid to do without for a day or two, instant gratification being their primary life focus.
Walmart doesn't typically pick up their own freight.

Monster energy drinks keep running out in the stores here, the juice-flavored ones with sugar in them.

Supposedly its because of a shortage of aluminum cans.
if the time comes I can't get a beer heads are gonna roll 😉

Walmart doesn't typically pick up their own freight.

I know, but being the largest retailer and also having their own 'house brands' they have squeezed a lot of canners and food companies out of business and bought them out or own a big piece of them. SAme with tools and other products. They like to slowly squeeze them to death with their outsized market share and leverage.

I know, but being the largest retailer and also having their own 'house brands' they have squeezed a lot of canners and food companies out of business and bought them out or own a big piece of them. SAme with tools and other products. They like to slowly squeeze them to death with their outsized market share and leverage.
most all food retailers have a house brand.

I switched to Hunts years ago. Good stuff.

Half the stuff advertised on TV now say they are going out of business due to rising costs and supply chain issues! Here's two I can think of!

Better order quick! Supplies limited!

ikr?

EVERYTHING that company advertises is suddenly no longer in production and if you don't buy it RIGHT NOW you will be SOL.

Cheap advertising trick and a total insult that these monkeys think we can't see that something weird is going on.

As for unavailability of things like condiments, there's a real bonus to having a garden and knowing how to do stuff. Huge crop of tomatoes this year allowed my lunatic canning buddy and me to make ketchup, tomato sauce, tomato paste, BBQ sauce. Don't even get us started on pickles, relish, chutney.

Country folks don't get their panties in a knot over supply chain woes.

1669685238284.png

Ammonia!! Believe it or not, the local store is out of ammonia. Bears hate it and people here use it to keep them out of their trashcans. But to be completely out!! Insane.

Reminds me, I need to go looking for white vinegar. I use it for cleaning. My canning buddy makes apple cider vinegar from the apples from my tree, but it's too good to use for cleaning.

Yeah I have already staked out my territory around my shop that way. (I live in the woods) Think I'd rather stick to ammonia for the cans though.
I was wrong .
I live in the south and deal with coons, they hate piss but apparently bears like it.

I was wrong .
I live in the south and deal with coons, they hate piss but apparently bears like it.

With the coons, is it just human piss, or will my dog's piss keep them away? And I guess it's too much to hope that it would work for rabbits. Thinking of my garden.

the thing is I've been buying house brands long before Walmart was even a thing.

There used to be a lot more of them. We used to have several canneries here, now we have one, and it puts labels on different house brands as well as a couple of 'national brands' now, some 5 different 'brands' of beans. WalMart dominates the retail end, but they aren't the only segment with little competition.

A handful of powerful companies control the majority market share of almost 80% of dozens of grocery items bought regularly by ordinary Americans, new analysis reveals.

A joint investigation by the Guardian and Food and Water Watch found that consumer choice is largely an illusion – despite supermarket shelves and fridges brimming with different brands.

I don't think this is new news to most people, at least I hope it isn't.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back