Sunday School is indoctrination

Teaching children right from wrong is indoctrination. Teaching children to read, to add and subtract is indoctrination. All of education is indoctrination.

No more indoctrination than public schools...the left has no issues with that taking place

Sunday school predates elementary school.

I mean, I GET that conservatives are against education, and that's fine! That's fine. Be as ignorant as you like. But a country full of stupid people will accomplish nothing.

We pay thousands of dollars per year so our children receive the best education out there....so take your "conservatives are against education" and stick it. We are against children being indoctrinated in the public school system. That's why you're seeing a rise in home schooling, private schools and charter schools.

Such bullshit. I was part of the system that was pushing for home schooling and charter funds so please. Don't piss on my leg and tell me it's raining.

Teaching children right from wrong is indoctrination. Teaching children to read, to add and subtract is indoctrination. All of education is indoctrination.
Reading is memorization of spelling, grammar, and syntax. No brainwashing except not to use the F-word.

Math is simple definitions and rules. Has nothing to do with brainwashing.

Much of education is indeed brainwashing, but not the 3 R's.

No more indoctrination than public schools...the left has no issues with that taking place

I mean, I GET that conservatives are against education, and that's fine! That's fine. Be as ignorant as you like. But a country full of stupid people will accomplish nothing.

We pay thousands of dollars per year so our children receive the best education out there....so take your "conservatives are against education" and stick it. We are against children being indoctrinated in the public school system. That's why you're seeing a rise in home schooling, private schools and charter schools.
"... the best education out there ...".

Fokk me running !! (old Irish phrase by Irish prostitutes).

Dude, you're getting tiresome. I'd put our children's schools up against any public school out there. Hell our oldest daughters debate public school teams....it's ugly watching them destroy them because the poor kids are not being educated properly

That's anecdotal and local. Next!

**also me giving you the presumption of honesty which is a long shot, but I digress.**

Such bullshit. I was part of the system that was pushing for home schooling and charter funds so please. Don't piss on my leg and tell me it's raining.

Lady I've read your posts, I doubt you'd know if someone was pissing down your leg.

Public education is a mess...a colossal mess and the government should get out of it

Dude, you're getting tiresome. I'd put our children's schools up against any public school out there. Hell our oldest daughters debate public school teams....it's ugly watching them destroy them because the poor kids are not being educated properly

**also me giving you the presumption of honesty which is a long shot, but I digress.**
And your OP isn't anecdotal?

I have a grandmother who was a preacher, and I always went to Sunday school. I had to go to church three times a week.

Not the preacher part, but Sunday morning, Sunday night, Wednesday night, Summer camp and revival meetings.

People crack me up when they give me grief for being an agnostic.
Babtist?
Baptists have a pretty good guilt trip going on their kids. But it still does not compare with the Catholics, the Jews, and/or the Mormans.
I can’t say anything bad about them.

I can appreciate how they can help many people.

Everything is anecdotal until you take a scientific survey and/or apply logic.

Yes, so why is the OP calling someone out for it when they're guilty of the same thing.

I have a Facebook friend that I was friends with at church back when my daughter was born, well over thirty years ago. I commented on my page the same thing I said here, which was "And another thing that irks my tater. Getting all pissy and claiming kids are being indoctrinated and used.

Well what the actual fuck do you think Sunday School is about!?"

It actually was quite kind of her to respond, since I did drop the F-bomb and she is a Christian Woman.

*caps on purpose*

At any rate, this was her response, and mine is the rest of the OP.

"When most kids in this country were "indoctrinated" in Sunday School there was a lot less crime....."

Crime has been up and down since this country was founded. Sunday school has almost been a constant, just as it remains for a portion of the population today. I don't have statistics, but speaking from my own experience and people I am acquainted with, quite a few kids went through hell in the name of Jesus. Spousal abuse, child molestation - it's almost like people gave themselves free rein to terrorize family members because either God said they could, or they twisted the Bible to allow it, or they didn't even need to twist it. Spare the rod means getting beaten. People can pretty it up all they want, but that's what was happening. Shit you can never forget, no matter how hard you try and how much time goes by.

I don't believe I'm crime-free because Sunday school. I believe I'm crime-free because even as I am an agnostic at the very least, I have a very strong moral compass which bears no resemblance to the bulk of the evangelical people of faith I see today, because their faith bears no resemblance to the New Testament.

**for those of you wondering why I said "God said" - ever heard of "tongues and interpretation?"**
Your face book friend is at the threshold of self discovery.

There is hope for her/him.

Yes, so why is the OP calling someone out for it when they're guilty of the same thing.
Sophistry.

Rhetoric.

Most people when cornered with use all means to counter-attack.

Everyone learned this from their mothers. She was just trying to get you to clean up your room.

I have a grandmother who was a preacher, and I always went to Sunday school. I had to go to church three times a week.
dam no wonder you are gay....

What is your excuse?
HEY!.....dont make me come over there Aaron....its been a while since i turned someone into a frog with big lips....
Aaron has change for 18 dollar bills 2 different ways -- 9's and 6's.

I wouldn't say public schools are indoctrination, but it's silly to attack sunday school as indoctrination.

The OP chose one incident....not a very good thing to do
Her post is what is called a lament.

It is the precursor to a vision of clarity.

When the doors of perception are cleansed then we shall see things as they truly are.

Google is our friend.

When I'm off work, I'll Google how home schooled children such as the Austin bomber do with standardized testing.

‘Survivor’ Bloggers Join Forces to Reveal Christian Fundamentalist Abuses

What is your excuse?
HEY!.....dont make me come over there Aaron....its been a while since i turned someone into a frog with big lips....
Aaron is a good guy.....and he is into Comics....anyone into the ancient texts is ok by me...

Google is our friend.

When I'm off work, I'll Google how home schooled children such as the Austin bomber do with standardized testing.

‘Survivor’ Bloggers Join Forces to Reveal Christian Fundamentalist Abuses
Why are you connecting homeschooling to the Austin bomber.
You mention google, so I used it.
Do Homeschool Kids Really Rate Better on Standardized Tests?
That article doesn't even touch on Sunday school. I don't think anyone will disagree that there are issues with certain christian groups and abuse, but no religion is free of those problems.

Be self made. You don't need others to get you to God you can accomplish that. Don't be a follower of people be a leader

What is your excuse?
Aaron is a good guy.....and he is into Comics....anyone into the ancient texts is ok by me...

Did you hear that Phil Coulson and Nick Fury will be in Captain Marvel?

My personal view is that home schooling gives parents too much power over their children's minds.

While I favor Catholic private schooling to any other form of elementary and prep schooling, someone has to warn the kids about the priests and the nuns first.

Forum List

Back