Study: Extramarital sex and divorce more common among veterans

My niece just did this last week, as a matter of fact. She just married a marine she met in NYC a month ago. They got married at the courthouse and they are moving out to Camp Pendleton in California. He is about to be deployed overseas.

She is an idiot, but sometimes people have to do incredibly stupid things in life in order to learn.

Wow, hopefully it doesn't end up too bad.

Fear not. I"m sure it will.

My niece just did this last week, as a matter of fact. She just married a marine she met in NYC a month ago. They got married at the courthouse and they are moving out to Camp Pendleton in California. He is about to be deployed overseas.

She is an idiot, but sometimes people have to do incredibly stupid things in life in order to learn.

Wow, hopefully it doesn't end up too bad.

Fear not. I"m sure it will.

Well like you said, some people have to go through the fire to learn their lesson.

I do have experience in this arena and infedility is pretty high amongst service members but I don't think its that much worse than our civilian counter parts, what say you?

Veterans were significantly more likely to have ever engaged in extramarital sex and ever gotten divorced than people who were never in the military, according to new research to be presented at the 106th Annual Meeting of the American Sociological Association.

The study, based on data from a 1992 national survey, found that more than 32 percent of ever-married veterans reported extramarital sex, which is about twice the rate among ever-married non-veterans (16.8 percent).

"To the extent that the patterns observed in these data hold for our current veteran population, the results of this study provide evidence that the concerns about infidelity among spouses of persons who have served in the military are to a considerable degree valid," said Andrew S. London, chair of the sociology department and a sociology professor at Syracuse University. "However, even though the reported rates of infidelity were significantly higher for veterans than non-veterans, extramarital sex was only reported by one-third of ever-married veteran respondents."

Titled, "Veteran Status, Marital Infidelity, and Divorce," the study also found that among those who had ever married, veterans were almost 10 percent more likely to have gotten divorced (38.5 percent compared to 28.9 percent). There was also a strong association between extramarital sex and divorce both for veterans and non-veterans. Overall, even after taking into account veteran status and other factors that influence divorce, those who reported extramarital sex were 2.3 times more likely to have ever divorced than those who reported no extramarital sex.

While the study considered both men and women, London and his co-authors Elizabeth Allen, an assistant professor of psychology at the University of Colorado-Denver, and Janet M. Wilmoth, a sociology professor at Syracuse University, said their data set included too few female veterans to draw definitive conclusions about them as a separate group.

"The results of this study provide robust evidence that veteran status was strongly associated with an increased likelihood of extramarital sex and divorce—at least among men—and suggest that the odds of extramarital sex and divorce might also be elevated among female veterans," London said. "But, further research that uses larger, representative samples of female veterans is needed to confirm those female-specific associations."

The study relied on data from the 1992 National Health and Social Life Survey (NHSLS), and focused on the 2,308 18-60-year-old respondents who comprised the ever-married subset of the sample. "Although it is now two decades old, the NHSLS is one of the few national data sets that includes questions about whether respondents have ever served in the military, extramarital sex, and marital and divorce history," London said.

As valuable as the NHSLS data are, London and his co-authors believe that their findings raise important new questions that can only be addressed with new data collection. "We do not know from these data whether the extramarital sex occurred prior to, during, or after the conclusion of the respondent's military service, and we do not know the military service status of spouses," London said. "New, relatively large-scale data collection initiatives that follow people over time, examine different stages of life, and collect state-of-the-science measurements of military service experiences, sexual behavior, and marriage and family outcomes from husbands and wives are desperately needed."

In terms of the study's policy implications, London said, "This research can increase our understanding of some of the problems faced by military and veteran families, and can inform the development of interventions used to help them."

Of course the claim is a lie or more accurately a distortion. The US population is around 310 Million and there are about 22 Million Vets. It's impossible to have more divorced Vets than the general population. That having been said it seems that the social worker society takes two statistics and combines them. One is the divorce rate and the other is anecdotal claims of extra-marital sex. You have several factors at work. It's easier to question Vets who seek benefits from the V.A. than to pin down the 310 million civilians who are likely to tell you to go to hell. There is always an agenda behind the scene and the agenda is usually political. My guess is the agenda is more funding for do-nothing social programs and more useless studies that have nothing to do with Veteran benefits.

Last edited:
I do have experience in this arena and infedility is pretty high amongst service members but I don't think its that much worse than our civilian counter parts, what say you?

Veterans were significantly more likely to have ever engaged in extramarital sex and ever gotten divorced than people who were never in the military, according to new research to be presented at the 106th Annual Meeting of the American Sociological Association.

The study, based on data from a 1992 national survey, found that more than 32 percent of ever-married veterans reported extramarital sex, which is about twice the rate among ever-married non-veterans (16.8 percent).

"To the extent that the patterns observed in these data hold for our current veteran population, the results of this study provide evidence that the concerns about infidelity among spouses of persons who have served in the military are to a considerable degree valid," said Andrew S. London, chair of the sociology department and a sociology professor at Syracuse University. "However, even though the reported rates of infidelity were significantly higher for veterans than non-veterans, extramarital sex was only reported by one-third of ever-married veteran respondents."

Titled, "Veteran Status, Marital Infidelity, and Divorce," the study also found that among those who had ever married, veterans were almost 10 percent more likely to have gotten divorced (38.5 percent compared to 28.9 percent). There was also a strong association between extramarital sex and divorce both for veterans and non-veterans. Overall, even after taking into account veteran status and other factors that influence divorce, those who reported extramarital sex were 2.3 times more likely to have ever divorced than those who reported no extramarital sex.

While the study considered both men and women, London and his co-authors Elizabeth Allen, an assistant professor of psychology at the University of Colorado-Denver, and Janet M. Wilmoth, a sociology professor at Syracuse University, said their data set included too few female veterans to draw definitive conclusions about them as a separate group.

"The results of this study provide robust evidence that veteran status was strongly associated with an increased likelihood of extramarital sex and divorce—at least among men—and suggest that the odds of extramarital sex and divorce might also be elevated among female veterans," London said. "But, further research that uses larger, representative samples of female veterans is needed to confirm those female-specific associations."

The study relied on data from the 1992 National Health and Social Life Survey (NHSLS), and focused on the 2,308 18-60-year-old respondents who comprised the ever-married subset of the sample. "Although it is now two decades old, the NHSLS is one of the few national data sets that includes questions about whether respondents have ever served in the military, extramarital sex, and marital and divorce history," London said.

As valuable as the NHSLS data are, London and his co-authors believe that their findings raise important new questions that can only be addressed with new data collection. "We do not know from these data whether the extramarital sex occurred prior to, during, or after the conclusion of the respondent's military service, and we do not know the military service status of spouses," London said. "New, relatively large-scale data collection initiatives that follow people over time, examine different stages of life, and collect state-of-the-science measurements of military service experiences, sexual behavior, and marriage and family outcomes from husbands and wives are desperately needed."

In terms of the study's policy implications, London said, "This research can increase our understanding of some of the problems faced by military and veteran families, and can inform the development of interventions used to help them."

Of course the claim is a lie or more accurately a distortion. The US population is around 310 Million and there are about 22 Million Vets. It's impossible to have more divorced Vets than the general population. That having been said it seems that the social worker society takes two statistics and combines them. One is the divorce rate and the other is anecdotal claims of extra-marital sex. You have several factors at work. It's easier to question Vets who seek benefits from the V.A. than to pin down the 310 million covilians who are likely to tell you to go to hell. There is always an agenda behind the scene and the agenda is usually political. My guess is the agenda is more funding for do-nothing social programs and more useless studies that have nothing to do with Veteran benefits.

I think this study is actually another excuse to go tell the drunk good for nothing over sexed cheating veterans to go to hell and start taking away more of their benefits.:doubt:

When I was in Korea, it wasn't unusual for married men to suffer from lakofnooki which led to a trip to the ville and typically ended with the :clap2:

its the human sexual libedo.

We are designed to spread our genes.

Love the one you are with is pretty much designed into human kind.

Far fewer people can stay faithful than we want to pretend.

Its why society had such harsh punishments for infidelity in the past.
That's a wonderful bit 'I'm not responsible for my whoring around' wordiness, but it didn't really address the question raised by the OP.

I'm with Mr Clean. It makes sense for the same factors that effect a man's 'manliness' in terms of fitness for military service to also be tied to his 'manliness' in terms of sexual vitality, promiscuity, and sexual libido. It sounds like a reasonable enough hypothesis to me.

Chicks dig a man in uniform.

They like a man with a fat wallet better.

I 'lol' at "chicks dig a man in uniform" .. just funny the way you put it, rofl.

And no, no,no, High Gravity... not all women like a man with a fat wallet "better". No way.

Ever hear the lyrics of this song? :)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lunaZQltWGY]4HIM - The Measure Of A Man - YouTube[/ame]

This world can analyze and size you up

And throw you on the scales

They can IQ you and run you through

Their rigorous details

They can do their best to rate you

And they'll place you on their charts

And then back it up with scientific smarts

But there's more to what your worth

Than what their human eyes can see

Oh I say the measure of a man

Is not how tall you stand

How wealthy or intelligent you are

Cause I found out the measure of a man

God knows and understands

For He looks inside to the bottom of your heart

And what's in the heart defines

The measure of a man

Well you can doubt your worth

And search for who you are and where you stand

But God made you in His image

When He formed you in his hands

And He looks at you with mercy

And He sees you through His love

You're His child and that will always be enough

For there's more to what you're worth

Than you could ever comprehend

You can spend your life pursuing physical perfection

There is so much more, more than ever meets the eye

For God looks through the surface

And He defines your worth by, what is on the inside

Hmm..if it's at all correct...would be interesting to know if those statistics are referring to the spouse coming home after a war or not. Or during, etc. My first thought would be that coming home after being in a war, or even just seeing things overseas would be very difficult; sometimes the communication barrier in the marriage closes down - the walls and guards go up.. then one of the spouses wanting "love" elsewhere, but it's rather into "lust"? I don't know though. Maybe a case by case situation.

Infidelity is everywhere and messing up so many lives. IMO, it's all spiritual, a spiritual battle. Satan's out there tempting men or women, using lustful things to entice. In that respect, I'd guess it's very difficult to be a man in this day in age. Women practically unclothed everywhere. I'm guessing that's very tempting for some men sometimes.

If Satan can break down the family unit any way he can, he will. If he can break down any love relationships, he will. Divorce statistics are showing that for now it looks like he's temporarily winning the battle. Heavy emphasis on "temporary".

When it's all been said and done, Satan is gone forever. Praise Jesus.

if a person was not an adventure before enlisting i bet serving a few tours being shot at etc...would make one...and really after all the tours etc..what is an affair....what is a divorce just another bump in the road....

we make these people hard core by removing them from their families time and time again......and then are shocked by the hard core behavior?

And this surprises us why?

Given that they are often stationed far from their loved ones how can this stat shock any of us?

And this surprises us why?

Given that they are often stationed far from their loved ones how can this stat shock any of us?

No reason it should; and from a vet's perspective here's the other side of the story. America sends us off to carry out American policy (which sometimes means fighting a war), so we do it, and when we come home, beat up, used up, shot up, or messed up, a lot of wives and girlfriends don't have any use for us anymore; either because we are now "damaged goods" and a burden, or because they can't or won't relate to us anymore, after what we've seen and had to do. Hell, some of them don't even wait that long to throw us on the scrap heap; guess how many guys I saw in Vietnam, after mail call, sitting on the sandbags, despondent, after reading a "Dear John" letter? It happens in every war; can't even wait until a guy gets home (or gets killed) to kick him to the curb. Is that somehow the soldier's fault, too?

We come back from hell, with some wounds you can see and others you can't, with feelings a civilian can't begin to understand, and you wonder why we often leave behind a string of broken marriages and broken relationships? We've experienced boredom, discomfort, and sheer terror, without knowing whether any day might be our last, and you wonder why we'd go to a cat house? You asked us to be warriors and killers; now, you wonder why we aren't saints? It's an old story; Kipling knew it over a hundred years ago when he wrote these lines in "Tommy":
"We ain't no thin red 'eroes, and we ain't no blackguards, too;
just single men in barricks, most remarkable like you;
And if sometimes our conduck isn't all your fancy paints;
Well, single men in barricks don't turn into plaster saints!"

Some things never change. Maybe yet another "study" will alleviate whatever angst our personal behavior causes among the permanent civilians. Personally, I'd just as soon pass on the moralizing, disapproving glances, raised eyebrows, preaching and hand-wringing until I see it do something meaningful for us. Incidentally, about those wives and girlfriends...anyone thought of studying THEM?

I remember a Chief of Staff back in the early 80's who told his officers, "if you won't fuck, how the hell do I know you'll fight?" Of course, his replacement was on the opposite end: a Bible humper who imposed some strict rules. First thing he did was clear out all the go-go dancers from the O and NCO clubs; implement sign-in and sign-out procedures for officers who ventured off post; a whole bunch of micromanaging.

Didn't change a damn thing. It only forced what was already going on to go underground.

It's pretty common among Republicans. Ask Newt.

LOL.

Type-A personalities, men who don't understand failure, men who subscribe to the warrior ethic....if you're saying that these are men who would vote Republican....

It's pretty common among Republicans. Ask Newt.

There ARE liberals in the military (I think you said you were), and I served with a few. I can report that all of them went whoring with at least as much enthusiasm as any of the rest of us. So much for the supposed "moral superiority " of liberals.:lol:

P.S. Can you EVER post on ANY topic without a partisan comment (relevant or not)? No? I didn't think so.

Forum List

Back