Stop persecuting doctors for legitimately prescribing opioids for chronic pain

bripat9643

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2011
I agree 100%. This jihad against opioids is causing a lot of people to suffer. I had a very painful condition about a year ago and the doctor prescribed some foul tasting ointment to coat the back of my tongue with that didn't do a thing. He told me he couldn't prescribe anything that actually worked because he would have the feds down his back.

There's nobody I despise more than a drug warrior. They have done more damage to this country than an all out nuclear exchange.

Stop persecuting docs for legitimately prescribing opioids for chronic pain

Even as rates of opioid prescribing dropped by 25% between 2011 and 2017, opioid overdose deaths continued to rise.

It is time for Congress to direct the CDC to withdraw its guideline for a ground-up rewrite by an agency like the NIH or FDA that actually knows what it is doing. Likewise, the Veterans Health Administration must be directed to withdraw its closely related “Opioid Safety Initiative.” Veterans tell me that medical practice standards embedded in the initiative are driving vets to suicide by denying them treatment with opioid pain relievers. Finally, the DEA must be told to stand down and stop persecuting doctors who are legitimately prescribing opioids to their patients with chronic pain for “over-prescribing,” something for which no agency has yet created an accepted definition.

There ought to be a law … and I volunteer to help write it. AMA Resolution 235 (described earlier) must become mandatory policy for all federal health care and law enforcement agencies: the CDC, FDA, NIH, DEA, VA, the National institute on Drug Abuse, and the Department of Justice, to name just a few. Then state-level drug regulators and law enforcement need to be informed of the policy change — pointedly.

It is time to end the madness!​

Amen.

Once again the Govt is the wrong solution.

This is getting out of hand. Once again the innocent majority suffer because of the few bad apples.

I had an sustained a couple herniated discs from deadlifting and my general doctor gave me three Percocets.

Why can't people just suck it up?
You're another imbecile drug warrior, aren't you? When I had metal braces screwed into my writes, do you think I should have just "sucked it up?"

Once again the innocent majority suffer because of the few bad apples.

That's an interesting way to put it. But I don't think the bad apples are the problem. The problem is people who want to control their neighbors with government.

• Thanks
Reactions: mdk
Amen.

Once again the Govt is the wrong solution.

This is getting out of hand. Once again the innocent majority suffer because of the few bad apples.

I have the benefit/curse of being resistant to painkillers. That being said Percocets do work for me, but they don't impact me other than dulling pain. I get none of the ancillary impacts like feeling high and such.

Now muscle relaxants, THOSE make me feel like I am 3 seconds behind everyone else.

I had an sustained a couple herniated discs from deadlifting and my general doctor gave me three Percocets.
How long ago?

About a year ago
I'm surprised.

Are you surprised that I got the medication, or are you surprised that all the doctor would do was write me a script for only three pills?
I'm surprised you got the medication at all. However, in prior years he probably would have prescribed enough for a week or two, or maybe even a month.

How long ago?

About a year ago
I'm surprised.

Are you surprised that I got the medication, or are you surprised that all the doctor would do was write me a script for only three pills?
I'm surprise you got the medication at all. However, in prior years he probably would have prescribed enough for a week or two, or maybe even a month.

I needed it for at least a month

Once again the innocent majority suffer because of the few bad apples.

That's an interesting way to put it. But I don't think the bad apples are the problem. The problem is people who want to control their neighbors with government.

True, it is the effort to stop the bad apples that is the problem. Hell, to buy Allegra D in my state is more restrictive than buying a gun thanks to people using it to make Meth. I have been turned away from buying it, being told I bought it too often. I was like "I have a family of 4 people taking this, a 20 pack of 12 hour pills does not last very long"...I was told "another adult family member will have to buy it".

I agree 100%. This jihad against opioids is causing a lot of people to suffer. I had a very painful condition about a year ago and the doctor prescribed some foul tasting ointment to coat the back of my tongue with that didn't do a thing. He told me he couldn't prescribe anything that actually worked because he would have the feds down his back.

There's nobody I despise more than a drug warrior. They have done more damage to this country than an all out nuclear exchange.

Even as rates of opioid prescribing dropped by 25% between 2011 and 2017, opioid overdose deaths continued to rise.

It is time for Congress to direct the CDC to withdraw its guideline for a ground-up rewrite by an agency like the NIH or FDA that actually knows what it is doing. Likewise, the Veterans Health Administration must be directed to withdraw its closely related “Opioid Safety Initiative.” Veterans tell me that medical practice standards embedded in the initiative are driving vets to suicide by denying them treatment with opioid pain relievers. Finally, the DEA must be told to stand down and stop persecuting doctors who are legitimately prescribing opioids to their patients with chronic pain for “over-prescribing,” something for which no agency has yet created an accepted definition.

There ought to be a law … and I volunteer to help write it. AMA Resolution 235 (described earlier) must become mandatory policy for all federal health care and law enforcement agencies: the CDC, FDA, NIH, DEA, VA, the National institute on Drug Abuse, and the Department of Justice, to name just a few. Then state-level drug regulators and law enforcement need to be informed of the policy change — pointedly.

It is a fact that opioids are over prescribed and has fueled an epidemic of heroin use not seen since the 70's. Doctors were initially sued for NOT prescribing opioids, which gave rise to the incredible surge in prescriptions seen since 2000.

While I agree, doctors should be free to determine the best treatment options for their patients, it is a two way street.

It is a fact that opioids are over prescribed and has fueled an epidemic of heroin use not seen since the 70's. Doctors were initially sued for NOT prescribing opioids, which gave rise to the incredible surge in prescriptions seen since 2000.

While I agree, doctors should be free to determine the best treatment options for their patients, it is a two way street.
I disagree. Why should some Nazi in the government determine whether you need a pain killer or not? The fact that some people can't control themselves is no reason I should be deprived of pain relief.

You're another imbecile drug warrior, aren't you? When I had metal braces screwed into my writes, do you think I should have just "sucked it up?"

Numerous studies have found that non-opioid alternatives are just as, if not more effective in treating pain. There is no doubt that there are instances where it is warranted, but to use your hyper-emotional anecdotal example as why opioids should be prescribed in the numbers it is.

Numerous studies have found that non-opioid alternatives are just as, if not more effective in treating pain. There is no doubt that there are instances where it is warranted, but to use your hyper-emotional anecdotal example as why opioids should be prescribed in the numbers it is.

The doctor and the patient need be the only two people involved in the decision. What works for one person does not work for another.

We do not need the government to be a nanny state

Depends on the pain, the intensity and the duration. Pain is fluid and what some people can take and what others can take is not the same. I take hydrocodone for kidney stones, I rarely need it but if the pain gets bad enough I take one. My current bottle is almost a year old and I need to replace them in a couple months.

I believe the doctor and the patient need to discuss treatments and come to a conclusion, the government should not be in the business of prescribing treatments for pain.

Forum List

Back