Stock Publicity Boosts Share Price

Pavel Svinchnik

Jan 28, 2018
I was watching "The Clayman Countdown" yesterday afternoon. Liz was interviewing the CEO of AIM ImmunoTech (ticker AIM), who was talking about his firm's anti-SARS drug which might work on the new corona virus. I went upstairs to the computer to check out the stock and found that during his appearance, the stock had gone up 30%! It's backed off a bit this morning, around $1.14 per share when I last checked.

Last year, I was watching Bloomberg or Fox Financial, when they interviewed the CFO of Super League Gaming (ticker SLGG), a company putting on video game tournaments. Again, I went upstairs to check, and the stock had risen a bit. I bought some and sold it a few months later for a profit. Good thing I did, it's gone way down since then.

My two take-aways from all this are: 1, If I ever own a small, publicly traded company, I'll try to get interviewed on one of the financial channels before exercising my stock options; 2, I should move the computer to the living room.

Paul

I was watching "The Clayman Countdown" yesterday afternoon. Liz was interviewing the CEO of AIM ImmunoTech (ticker AIM), who was talking about his firm's anti-SARS drug which might work on the new corona virus. I went upstairs to the computer to check out the stock and found that during his appearance, the stock had gone up 30%! It's backed off a bit this morning, around $1.14 per share when I last checked.

Last year, I was watching Bloomberg or Fox Financial, when they interviewed the CFO of Super League Gaming (ticker SLGG), a company putting on video game tournaments. Again, I went upstairs to check, and the stock had risen a bit. I bought some and sold it a few months later for a profit. Good thing I did, it's gone way down since then.

My two take-aways from all this are: 1, If I ever own a small, publicly traded company, I'll try to get interviewed on one of the financial channels before exercising my stock options; 2, I should move the computer to the living room.

Paul
/—-/ Download your brokerage App on your phone or iPad. You can also get apps like CNBC for instant price quotes.

Paul

1, If I ever own a small, publicly traded company,

If you own a few shares? Or you're the founder?

I'll try to get interviewed on one of the financial channels before exercising my stock options

Publicly traded options (from the CBOE, for instance)? Or performance based options?

Paul

I think I would have to be the founder or some senior executive to get any interest in my new cold fusion reactor company or my anti-gravity group.

I'll try to get interviewed on one of the financial channels before exercising my stock options

Publicly traded options (from the CBOE, for instance)? Or performance based options?

I was thinking company-issued stock options but the public ones should work as well. If I have options that let me buy the stock at $2 and I boost the market price to $10, I could make a few bucks.

Paul

I think I would have to be the founder or some senior executive to get any interest in my new cold fusion reactor company or my anti-gravity group.

I was thinking company-issued stock options but the public ones should work as well. If I have options that let me buy the stock at $2 and I boost the market price to $10, I could make a few bucks.

Not all publicity is good publicity.

A single bad interview with financial news could tank your stock price.

I'm guessing you're not a brilliant public speaker.

Paul

If you're looking to make money off a quick move, caused by your appearance, you'd have to exercise beforehand. If you're an owner of more than 10%, you have to report your transactions.
Releasing info on the air and then selling your shares a few minutes later might get you in trouble.

More info below...…..

Securities transactions by officers, directors and 10%+ shareholders

"Always remember that stock prices have fallen in 9 of the last 5 recessions."- A Famous Nobel Prize winning Economist

A couple of fun charts for the gamblers out there:

Stock Performance Before, During & After Recessions - A Wealth of Common Sense

Reminds me of one of the few 'libertarians' out there who actually knew something about markets, Ed Clark, when he said getting rich was easy, just buy stocks when nobody else wants them and sell them when they do. Duh.

And, the actual quote I paraphrased, inaccurately actually, is ...

In 1966, four years before securing the Nobel Prize for economics, Paul Samuelson quipped that declines in U.S. stock prices had correctly predicted nine of the last five American recessions. His profession would kill for such accuracy.

Why Are Economists So Bad at Forecasting Recessions?

The rest of the article is pretty informative, too.

Reminds me of one of the few 'libertarians' out there who actually knew something about markets, Ed Clark, when he said getting rich was easy, just buy stocks when nobody else wants them and sell them when they do. Duh.

In 1966, four years before securing the Nobel Prize for economics, Paul Samuelson quipped that declines in U.S. stock prices had correctly predicted nine of the last five American recessions. His profession would kill for such accuracy.

/——/ You realize he was joking, don’t you?
Paul Samuelson quipped that declines in U.S. stock prices had correctly predicted nine of the last five American recessions”

/——/ You realize he was joking, don’t you?
Paul Samuelson quipped that declines in U.S. stock prices had correctly predicted nine of the last five American recessions”

Of course I do. I also know that like all 'scientists and professionals', and politicians, they're nearly all for hire, especially economists and 'mental health' quacks. I also linked to the data he was talking about and how bad they are at predicting anything. One obvious fact is that events that have nothing to do with economics caused the worst recessions, like the fake 'energy crisis' and the twin towers terrorism for example.

Forum List

Back