Steak Marinade

-Cp said:
Yeah, no kidding..... prolly the same folks that pick out "Plain Vanilla" Ice Cream when Chocolate Mud Pie is right next to it in the store's freezer... jeesh... what's the matter w/ folks these days? :p
Ya think that's bad???
My wife has a friend that asks for her steak cooked OVERDONE because she
can't stand to see ANY color other than brown in a steak. THEEEEN, she
puts MAYO on the damn thing because it's too dry. I wont cook steak for her
anymore.

JOKER96BRAVO said:
Ya think that's bad???
anymore.
She should be locked up.

JOKER96BRAVO said:
Ya think that's bad???
anymore.

We had "friends" over once for Rib-Eye Steaks that were simply seasoned w/ Salt/Pepper and grilled to Medium Rare - the dudes wife had the NERVE to ask for Catsup!!

I was like "Hell no, you did NOT Just ask for Catsup!"

Tell ya what Joker, next time you're in the Seattle area, I'll make you a Marinated Tri-tip that'll knock yer dick in the dirt.... k? :)

The ClayTaurus said:
My dad makes a mean prime rib, and it's very simple. All in the proportions: Coarse black pepper, Sea Salt, and garlic power/minched garlic.

Absolutely stellar.

I was raised with dry rub steaks, that marinated steaks were cheating. But I think that's just because my dad's a grill snob. Chicken marinades. Steak doesn't. Although I'm sure it could be good.

now here is a son who appreciates a Dads simple perspective on a great steak!
Steak should be simple and natural to enjoy natures best! Sea salt is cool..but the garlic and pepper brings it out!(maybe a little sage) for the desert folks!

archangel said:
now here is a son who appreciates a Dads simple perspective on a great steak!
Steak should be simple and natural to enjoy natures best! Sea salt is cool..but the garlic and pepper brings it out!(maybe a little sage) for the desert folks!
Sea salt is just for the better flavor it provides, especially when coarsely ground.

If I could cook half as good as my dad, I'd be happy. The man is borderline legendary.

Sometimes a more complicated steak can be tasty, but, as with many things in life, often times less is more.

How's that for some real-time perspective? :D

The ClayTaurus said:
Sea salt is just for the better flavor it provides, especially when coarsely ground.

If I could cook half as good as my dad, I'd be happy. The man is borderline legendary.

Sometimes a more complicated steak can be tasty, but, as with many things in life, often times less is more.

I too love Sea Salt, however, for the majority of cooking my wife and I do, we swear by Koshar Salt - the way it grips the food is really nice...

JOKER96BRAVO said:
Ya think that's bad???
anymore.

:cuckoo:

-Cp said:
We had "friends" over once for Rib-Eye Steaks that were simply seasoned w/ Salt/Pepper and grilled to Medium Rare - the dudes wife had the NERVE to ask for Catsup!!

I was like "Hell no, you did NOT Just ask for Catsup!"

Tell ya what Joker, next time you're in the Seattle area, I'll make you a Marinated Tri-tip that'll knock yer dick in the dirt.... k? :)
Deal, I'll bring you some Uncle Chris' Steak Seasoning.

Kosher is the best, with Sea Salt at a close second.
Try Sea Salt in large crystals (like Kosher) and gring it yourself.
Superb.

I'm growin nausiated at all the cliches being thrown around.

"Brings the flavor out...."

"Goes better..."

Most of that is lip-service; most of us have NO Idea what it 'really' means.

The ClayTaurus said:

at least when it comes to steaks....Dad is okay in my books on this issue...but I suspect you are comming from a professors perspective on some other issues..not to fault your Dad...ya give em' all ya can and hope for the best!

archangel said:
at least when it comes to steaks....Dad is okay in my books on this issue...but I suspect you are comming from a professors perspective on some other issues..not to fault your Dad...ya give em' all ya can and hope for the best!
Let's just leave it at the steaks, I wasn't trying to take this in any other direction.

The ClayTaurus said:
Let's just leave it at the steaks, I wasn't trying to take this in any other direction.

He rocks...rib eye forever!

On an unrelated note, if you listen to Sean Hannity at all - he's very wrong about Ruth's Chris...

He swears they make the best steak ever.... he's wrong...

Is it good? Sure, is it great? I don't think so - especially when you'll spend about $40-$50 bux per steak...

I can cook a far better steak at home.. and I've been to restaurants that blow Ruth's Chris out of the water..

I never have been a fan of "Nebraska Corn-Fed Beef" as I think they have entirely WAY too much fat in them - each bite coats your mouth with filmy, fatty tissue... it's nasty IMO..

I prefer pasture fed - grazed on grass - beef with a bit of graining right before slaughter...

-Cp said:
On an unrelated note, if you listen to Sean Hannity at all - he's very wrong about Ruth's Chris...

Is it good? Sure, is it great? I don't think so - especially when you'll spend about $40-$50 bux per steak...

I can cook a far better steak at home.. and I've been to restaurants that blow Ruth's Chris out of the water..

I never have been a fan of "Nebraska Corn-Fed Beef" as I think they have entirely WAY too much fat in them - each bite coats your mouth with filmy, fatty tissue... it's nasty IMO..

I prefer pasture fed - grazed on grass - beef with a bit of graining right before slaughter...

another Independent speaks his mind...gotta agree...working the Arizona border back in the day...I really got use to the taste of pasture(grazing) beef...it rocks without the fat content!

-Cp said:

He swears on Ruth Chris for one reason only: $

The ClayTaurus said:
My dad makes a mean prime rib, and it's very simple. All in the proportions: Coarse black pepper, Sea Salt, and garlic power/minched garlic.

Absolutely stellar.

I was raised with dry rub steaks, that marinated steaks were cheating. But I think that's just because my dad's a grill snob. Chicken marinades. Steak doesn't. Although I'm sure it could be good.
If it's mean now pass my method to him, it's to die for. Ash Joker, he cooked it.

JOKER96BRAVO said:
Ya think that's bad???
anymore.
:) I won't cook a good steak for anyone that wants it well done. What a waste!

The ClayTaurus said:
He swears on Ruth Chris for one reason only: $
Ruth Chris? I'm in love!

I also find Lawry's seductive...

773i2uw.gif

Kathianne said:
Ruth Chris? I'm in love!

I also find Lawry's seductive...

773i2uw.gif

Kathi... we REALLY need to hook up dear.... if you think Ruth's Chris makes an incredible steak - well - let's just say you've never had Doug's meat cooked by me in your mouth...

Forum List

Back