States would decide on their own abortion laws. Really?

For the same reason that even a leftist super-majority under Obama never passed a law federalizing abortion, the Americans will never pass one outlawing it. The issue belongs with the states.

Oklahoma is passing a law making it illegal to get an abortion, from conception, even if you go to another state, you are, a criminal.

I can't see the court ruling that abortion be exclusively a states right.

I don't see that either, but I think the SC will say that such a right is not in the US Constitution and the Roe v Wade ruling will be overturned. But that does not mean the US Congress can't legislate abortion rights as a civil right rather than a constitutional one; I do not believe the SC would overturn that law, whatever it is.

BUT - unless the filibuster gets abolished, such a law would require 60 votes to pass in the Senate and I do not see that happening. They are supposedly working on a bipartisan abortion bill as we speak, but I don't believe the chances for that bill to pass to be very likely. So, IMHO the issue will end up at the state level to do as they please. And they will answer to their electorate if they go too far

I don't see that either, but I think the SC will say that such a right is not in the US Constitution and the Roe v Wade ruling will be overturned. But that does not mean the US Congress can't legislate abortion rights as a civil right rather than a constitutional one; I do not believe the SC would overturn that law, whatever it is.

BUT - unless the filibuster gets abolished, such a law would require 60 votes to pass in the Senate and I do not see that happening. They are supposedly working on a bipartisan abortion bill as we speak, but I don't believe the chances for that bill to pass to be very likely. So, IMHO the issue will end up at the state level to do as they please. And they will answer to their electorate if they go too far

True.

Problem is that the ghouls don't have popular support. Only the fringe left from deep blue inner cities will vote to nationalize abortion.

That's why the corrupt Burger court created the unconstitutional law in the first place, because congress could never pass one.

True.

Problem is that the ghouls don't have popular support. Only the fringe left from deep blue inner cities will vote to nationalize abortion.
That 'fringe left' adds up to a majority of the country. Granted it is not evenly distributed but it means Blue states will continue on as before and Red states will have to deal with the horror stories of illegal abortions, disabled and unadoptable children, and the ruined lives of mothers unable to have abortions. Be careful what you wish for.

So something crossed my mind today: Let's assume the leak is genuine and next month Roe vs Wade is gone. Now (as everybody says) abortion will be left up to the states. Liberal states of course will keep abortion, conservative states make it illegal, and swing states may have abortion up to X amount of weeks. Fine.

My question is what happens if the country swings hard right on the federal level as in what is being setup now? Could our federal legislatures make it illegal for the entire country to have any kind of abortions? And if so, would the GOP risk losing leadership for decades down the road?

I can't see the court ruling that abortion be exclusively a states right. What part of the Constitution would allow them to rule that way? So the question is, could this decision actually lead to outlawing abortions on a national level?
McConnell has already said that a federal ban on abortions would be possible if the ruling comes out that abortion is not a constitutionally protected right. Quickest way to keep a check on GOP success would be an overreach like that, and Bitch McConnell knows it.

That 'fringe left' adds up to a majority of the country. Granted it is not evenly distributed but it means Blue states will continue on as before and Red states will have to deal with the horror stories of illegal abortions, disabled and unadoptable children, and the ruined lives of mothers unable to have abortions. Be careful what you wish for.

Nope, three quarters of Americans support restrictions on Abortion.

Do you support post birth abortions? I mean, if clinics can charge a premium for them?

So something crossed my mind today: Let's assume the leak is genuine and next month Roe vs Wade is gone. Now (as everybody says) abortion will be left up to the states. Liberal states of course will keep abortion, conservative states make it illegal, and swing states may have abortion up to X amount of weeks. Fine.

My question is what happens if the country swings hard right on the federal level as in what is being setup now? Could our federal legislatures make it illegal for the entire country to have any kind of abortions? And if so, would the GOP risk losing leadership for decades down the road?

I can't see the court ruling that abortion be exclusively a states right. What part of the Constitution would allow them to rule that way? So the question is, could this decision actually lead to outlawing abortions on a national level?

So a womans rights depends on her address?

Because a corrupt, or unconstitutional state government has rights, but not the woman citizen of that state?

I believe this issue was settled in 1865.

McConnell has already said that a federal ban on abortions would be possible if the ruling comes out that abortion is not a constitutionally protected right.

Link?

I do not believe that is true, there is no way in hell the democrats would support that and the GOP would have to get 60 votes to pass it and Biden would have to sign it even if it did get to his desk. Which he won't.

Ah, dehumanizing your victim, how very Nazi of you. :thup:

No, the mother doesn't end up more healthy after killing her child. The mental toll is often severe.
Do you think she makes the decision lightly? You call her a killer, not someone forced to make a terrible choice, I'd say that qualifies as dehumanizing your victim.

I wish he'd kept his big mouth shut. I don't see any chance in hell that a national abortion ban could ever happen. All he's doing there is elevating the opposition.

Oh, it could happen but likely won't as abortion is an evenly divided issue.

Link?

I do not believe that is true, there is no way in hell the democrats would support that and the GOP would have to get 60 votes to pass it and Biden would have to sign it even if it did get to his desk. Which he won't.

Of course he wouldn't but this next election looks like a slaughter. He's talking down the road as in 2024 or beyond.

Forum List

Back