States would decide on their own abortion laws. Really?

Ray From Cleveland

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2015
So something crossed my mind today: Let's assume the leak is genuine and next month Roe vs Wade is gone. Now (as everybody says) abortion will be left up to the states. Liberal states of course will keep abortion, conservative states make it illegal, and swing states may have abortion up to X amount of weeks. Fine.

My question is what happens if the country swings hard right on the federal level as in what is being setup now? Could our federal legislatures make it illegal for the entire country to have any kind of abortions? And if so, would the GOP risk losing leadership for decades down the road?

I can't see the court ruling that abortion be exclusively a states right. What part of the Constitution would allow them to rule that way? So the question is, could this decision actually lead to outlawing abortions on a national level?

So something crossed my mind today: Let's assume the leak is genuine and next month Roe vs Wade is gone. Now (as everybody says) abortion will be left up to the states. Liberal states of course will keep abortion, conservative states make it illegal, and swing states may have abortion up to X amount of weeks. Fine.

My question is what happens if the country swings hard right on the federal level as in what is being setup now? Could our federal legislatures make it illegal for the entire country to have any kind of abortions? And if so, would the GOP risk losing leadership for decades down the road?

I can't see the court ruling that abortion be exclusively a states right. What part of the Constitution would allow them to rule that way? So the question is, could this decision actually lead to outlawing abortions on a national level?

For the same reason that even a leftist super-majority under Obama never passed a law federalizing abortion, the Americans will never pass one outlawing it. The issue belongs with the states.

I disagree with your premise.

I doubt that a Federal Law outlawing abortion would be any more popular than one allowing it. I also don't think that the GOP would lose power for decades for trying. The electorate is just too damn fickle.

I'm hopeful that with what's happening here with Roe, more Americans will be ready to divide the country into at least two countries.
IMHO, the sooner we make it official, the more likely we will not be finding ourselves in the middle of a genuine civil catastrophe that will result in a good deal of Americans killed.

For the same reason that even a leftist super-majority under Obama never passed a law federalizing abortion, the Americans will never pass one outlawing it. The issue belongs with the states.

I don't disagree with that. My question is what would stop the GOP from making it illegal for any kind of abortions. Point being that this argument it would be left up to the states could be temporary. It may very well lead to a total outlaw of abortions.

I disagree with your premise.

I doubt that a Federal Law outlawing abortion would be any more popular than one allowing it. I also don't think that the GOP would lose power for decades for trying. The electorate is just too damn fickle.

Politicians know we Americans have a short memory. That's why I'm worried about what Congress and Dementia might do if they lose their ass in November. If they lose big time, they just might make PR and DC into states and pack the courts as exit legislation. Sure, all polls show Americans hate the idea of either, but again, voters have very short memories.

I don't disagree with that. My question is what would stop the GOP from making it illegal for any kind of abortions.

Survival instinct.

Further, I doubt enough in the GOP even hold that view,

Point being that this argument it would be left up to the states could be temporary. It may very well lead to a total outlaw of abortions.

Extremely unlikely anyone would try, and they will fail if they do.

Politicians know we Americans have a short memory. That's why I'm worried about what Congress and Dementia might do if they lose their ass in November. If they lose big time, they just might make PR and DC into states and pack the courts as exit legislation. Sure, all polls show Americans hate the idea of either, but again, voters have very short memories.
I don't think that they'll manage to do that regardless of how badly they lose. A simple court filing would put a hold on it until well after the change of leadership.

Legally yes, practically no. It will take some time to settle things without RvW so unless the GOP gets a super-majority in the next election, nothing will happen right away.

By then we may all remember why so many people wanted legal abortions in the first place, babies that face a lifetime of suffering, families torn apart and impoverished, emergency room arrivals of victims of botched, illegal abortions, etc.

Be careful what you wish for...

I don't think that they'll manage to do that regardless of how badly they lose. A simple court filing would put a hold on it until well after the change of leadership.

I don't think the court could get involved. How many justices are on the court is in the sole power of Congress and there is no jurisdiction to put it on hold.

Legally yes, practically no. It will take some time to settle things without RvW so unless the GOP gets a super-majority in the next election, nothing will happen right away.

By then we may all remember why so many people wanted legal abortions in the first place, babies that face a lifetime of suffering, families torn apart and impoverished, emergency room arrivals of victims of botched, illegal abortions, etc.

or maybe, we'll see a renaissance of people actually thinking and taking responsibility for themselves BEFORE another life is involved.

I don't think the court could get involved. How many justices are on the court is in the sole power of Congress and there is no jurisdiction to put it on hold.
From the election in November until the Change in Congress on Jan. 1st, you think they will increase the number of Justices that can sit the bench, and then nominate and pass enough to fill all those seats?

I don't think that can happen.

I'm not wishing for it at all. But I don't see how it being a states right exclusively could last IF there are enough pro-life representatives to pass such a law. As for myself, my opinion is that most women that do get abortions are Democrats, and the apple usually doesn't fall far from the tree. Currently we are mostly aborting future Democrat voters.

From the election in November until the Change in Congress on Jan. 1st, you think they will increase the number of Justices that can sit the bench, and then nominate and pass enough to fill all those seats?

I don't think that can happen.

I don't see what would stop them. It's just something I do worry about.

I don't see what would stop them. It's just something I do worry about.
Time would stop them and even if there was no standing, the time to determine standing would be almost more than the time from election to Congressional changeover.

Time would stop them and even if there was no standing, the time to determine standing would be almost more than the time from election to Congressional changeover.

If you look at what's contained in their so-called Voters Rights act, it's loaded with unconstitutional provisions and they know it. However if it's passed before the election, it's law until a court reverses it which wouldn't be until after the election.

You know as well as I you can't trust a Democrat as far as you can throw them. They'll do anything for power.

Forum List

Back