States Rush To Debate New Vaccine Laws As Measles Outbreak Spreads

It's a touchy subject because it involves Government dictating what many consider a parenting decision.

Am I confused or are people who WERE vaccinated at a child catching measles? -- I found one report that says roughly 3% of vaccinated people who come in contact with measles will develop symptoms. USA Today reported the health officials in CA believe that number to be 18% -- seems kind of high.

I think public schools can require vaccinations and if there's an outbreak, there should be an investigation to find out which parent lied and they should be prosecuted.
Prosecuted for what?

You do know that measles is a survivable childhood disease, right? You do know that the mortality rate of measles is very, very low.....right?

• Measles is one of the leading causes of death among young children even though a safe and cost-effective vaccine is available.
  • In 2013, there were 145 700 measles deaths globally – about 400 deaths every day or 16 deaths every hour.
  • Measles vaccination resulted in a 75% drop in measles deaths between 2000 and 2013 worldwide.
  • In 2013, about 84% of the world's children received one dose of measles vaccine by their first birthday through routine health services – up from 73% in 2000.
  • During 2000-2013, measles vaccination prevented an estimated 15.6 million deaths making measles vaccine one of the best buys in public health.
WHO Measles

US and CDC. Show me where it is even on the top ten list yet alone a leading cause.

http://www.cdc.gov/injury/wisqars/pdf/leading_causes_of_death_by_age_group_2012-a.pdf

If you want to throw the US in with other countries that have universal healthcare and their people are dying at a rate not seen in the US that is your business.

BTW the black plague ended without vaccination.

http://www.who.int/violence_injury_prevention/child/injury/world_report/final_data_3.pdf?ua=1

Under age 1, #10 cause.
Age 1-4, #3 cause.
Age 5-9, #8 cause.
Under age 20, #5 cause.

US CDC not in the top 10 for any age group 2005, didn't have 2004:

http://www.cdc.gov/injury/images/lc-charts/10lc_overall_2005b-a.pdf

US CDC not in the top 10 for any age group 2005

It's true, our vaccination program works....when the idiot anti-vaxxers are as small in number as they are in IQ.

It's a touchy subject because it involves Government dictating what many consider a parenting decision.

Am I confused or are people who WERE vaccinated at a child catching measles? -- I found one report that says roughly 3% of vaccinated people who come in contact with measles will develop symptoms. USA Today reported the health officials in CA believe that number to be 18% -- seems kind of high.

Several state legislatures are debating vaccine-related measures as dozens of people have fallen ill from a measles outbreak that started at Disneyland in December and spread beyond the theme park. Here is a look at some of the legislation around the country:

CALIFORNIA

Three California lawmakers, all Democrats, introduced legislation this week that would require parents to vaccinate their children before they enter school unless the child cannot be immunized because of a medical condition.

Parents would no longer be able to cite personal beliefs or religious reasons to send unvaccinated children to private and public schools. Mississippi and West Virginia are the only other states with such strict vaccine rules, although the California bill's lead author said he would consider including a religious exemption.

According to the National Conference of State Legislatures, California is among 20 states that allow for personal belief exemptions and 48 that allow for religious exemptions.

I think public schools can require vaccinations and if there's an outbreak, there should be an investigation to find out which parent lied and they should be prosecuted.
Prosecuted for what?

You do know that measles is a survivable childhood disease, right? You do know that the mortality rate of measles is very, very low.....right?
Like everything else, the left can't wait to force something else upon us. They have friends in drug industry that can't wait to rake in the dough on this scare.

Prosecuted for what?

• Measles is one of the leading causes of death among young children even though a safe and cost-effective vaccine is available.
  • In 2013, there were 145 700 measles deaths globally – about 400 deaths every day or 16 deaths every hour.
  • Measles vaccination resulted in a 75% drop in measles deaths between 2000 and 2013 worldwide.
  • In 2013, about 84% of the world's children received one dose of measles vaccine by their first birthday through routine health services – up from 73% in 2000.
  • During 2000-2013, measles vaccination prevented an estimated 15.6 million deaths making measles vaccine one of the best buys in public health.
WHO Measles

BTW the black plague ended without vaccination.

US and CDC. Show me where it is even on the top ten list yet alone a leading cause.

http://www.cdc.gov/injury/wisqars/pdf/leading_causes_of_death_by_age_group_2012-a.pdf

If you want to throw the US in with other countries that have universal healthcare and their people are dying at a rate not seen in the US that is your business.

Thanks for the CDC link.
It's amazing what a good vaccine program can do.
If you can minimize the anti-vaxer idiots.

Seldom do I get thanked for proving someone wrong, bravo. Maybe measles just ran its course as did the Black Plague and perhaps Polio?

Who did you prove wrong? Where?

Do you actually read anything that other people post or are you so convinced that you are right that you have become a parrot?

Yes I do. I don't think that you do though, sometimes.
I also do not think I am always right.
I just put my opinion out there.
You are the one who seems to have a problem with conservatives opinion's.
You're always attacking them like you think you are still in the flame zone.
And yet you ignore that the plague HAS NOT ended and that there is a vaccine for it! Priceless.

I never said one way or the other.
Back then I think it was because of the weather, there are fewer fleas in winter than in summer, therefore when winter began the plague drifted away.
In the late 17th century during the plague outbreak in London, the Great London fire burned down a large percentage of the city, especially those areas where the houses were cheap and built close together. This killed or drove away the majority of rats and the plague left with them.
Yes, you said it at least twice on this thread.

No I didn't, Freewill & Toddsterpatrio brought it up.
All I did was ask the question how anyone thought it ended.
Sure.

Several state legislatures are debating vaccine-related measures as dozens of people have fallen ill from a measles outbreak that started at Disneyland in December and spread beyond the theme park. Here is a look at some of the legislation around the country:

CALIFORNIA

Three California lawmakers, all Democrats, introduced legislation this week that would require parents to vaccinate their children before they enter school unless the child cannot be immunized because of a medical condition.

Parents would no longer be able to cite personal beliefs or religious reasons to send unvaccinated children to private and public schools. Mississippi and West Virginia are the only other states with such strict vaccine rules, although the California bill's lead author said he would consider including a religious exemption.

According to the National Conference of State Legislatures, California is among 20 states that allow for personal belief exemptions and 48 that allow for religious exemptions.

Prosecuted for what?

Like everything else, the left can't wait to force something else upon us. They have friends in drug industry that can't wait to rake in the dough on this scare.
This is funny coming from a guy that almost had a heart attack panicking over ebola.

Yes I do. I don't think that you do though, sometimes.
I also do not think I am always right.
I just put my opinion out there.
You are the one who seems to have a problem with conservatives opinion's.
You're always attacking them like you think you are still in the flame zone.
And yet you ignore that the plague HAS NOT ended and that there is a vaccine for it! Priceless.

I never said one way or the other.
Back then I think it was because of the weather, there are fewer fleas in winter than in summer, therefore when winter began the plague drifted away.
In the late 17th century during the plague outbreak in London, the Great London fire burned down a large percentage of the city, especially those areas where the houses were cheap and built close together. This killed or drove away the majority of rats and the plague left with them.
Yes, you said it at least twice on this thread.

No I didn't, Freewill & Toddsterpatrio brought it up.
All I did was ask the question how anyone thought it ended.
Sure.

Then find where I said it at least twice on this thread and post it.

CALIFORNIA

Prosecuted for what?

Typical vaccines, not very profitable.

CALIFORNIA

Am I confused or are people who WERE vaccinated at a child catching measles?

I believe that some people who get the vaccine never develop immunity.
And that when people do develop immunity, it eventually "wears off".
I haven't heard any info about the people who are involved in this outbreak.

The vaccine is not 100% effective. More like 99% or so.
I don't know that immunity after two inoculations actually wears off. That's news to me, but maybe so.

It's a little strange. Babies aren't typically inoculated until one year. This is because the mother's antibodies are in the baby's body. An inoculation before the antibodies leave the baby will actually cause the baby to have no protection. THIS is why universal inoculations are a must, unless the person has some medical reason they can't take the shot. We'll never have 100% of the population "immune." But, the more mothers who don't get inoculated, the more babies aren't protected. And you don't want a child <12 mos getting this.

And what's happened is the idiots who don't get the shot are essentially sucking tit off those who do. If the vast maj weren't inoculated, these responsible mofos would be getting sick by the truck load.

Yeah, we have to eliminate the phony "religious objections".
Get your kids immunized, idiots!

Nope. Not gonna happen. I don't vaccinate my kids and I don't get vaccines. Wife just got note from her baby doc to not have to get the TB test done while she is pregnant. 1. the vaccines DON'T WORK. 2. Vaccines have caused hundreds of deaths and THOUSANDS of people have been compensated for vaccine related injuries since the late 80's when vaccine courts were set up. The vaccines use aborted fetal cells as one example of disgusting and immoral things the put in them and then inject you with.

Measles Vaccines Kill More People than Measles CDC Data Proves The Liberty Beacon

Only sheeple refuse to research themselves the side effects and dangers of vaccines.

Yeah, we have to eliminate the phony "religious objections".
Get your kids immunized, idiots!

Nope. Not gonna happen. I don't vaccinate my kids and I don't get vaccines. Wife just got note from her baby doc to not have to get the TB test done while she is pregnant. 1. the vaccines DON'T WORK. 2. Vaccines have caused hundreds of deaths and THOUSANDS of people have been compensated for vaccine related injuries since the late 80's when vaccine courts were set up. The vaccines use aborted fetal cells as one example of disgusting and immoral things the put in them and then inject you with.

Measles Vaccines Kill More People than Measles CDC Data Proves The Liberty Beacon

Only sheeple refuse to research themselves the side effects and dangers of vaccines.

Nope. Not gonna happen. I don't vaccinate my kids and I don't get vaccines.

You're an idiot.

the vaccines DON'T WORK.

Obviously. Just look at all the polio cases last week. All the smallpox deaths last month. Moron.

Only sheeple refuse to research themselves the side effects and dangers of vaccines

Only sheeple refuse to research themselves the death and injuries vaccines prevent.

That's fine, so long as your kids don't get to go to school with kids who were vaccinated.

Why?
If your kid is vaccinated they would not get the measles.
If they get the measles after they have been vaccinated what good is the vaccination?

That's fine, so long as your kids don't get to go to school with kids who were vaccinated.

Why?
If they get the measles after they have been vaccinated what good is the vaccination?

The vaccine is not 100% effective. The vaccine is only effective in protecting us against measles because, it is so unlikely that a vaccinated person will get it after being exposed, that even those unlucky few who catch it despite being vaccinated don't pass it on because most everyone is vaccinated. In short, the efficacy of the vaccine is partially dependent upon everyone who can be vaccinated.

Why?

The vaccine is not 100% effective. The vaccine is only effective in protecting us against measles because, it is so unlikely that a vaccinated person will get it after being exposed, that even those unlucky few who catch it despite being vaccinated don't pass it on because most everyone is vaccinated. In short, the efficacy of the vaccine is partially dependent upon everyone who can be vaccinated.

It seems is was better in my day when we all got the measles and was immune from it for the rest of our lives.

The polio vaccine was a whole different matter. We got three doses over a certain period of time and that was it for the rest of our lives.

Last edited:

Why?

It seems is was better in my day when we all got the measles and was immune from it for the rest of our lives.

The polio vaccine was a whole different matter. We got three doses over a certain period of time and that was it for the rest of our lives.

Yes, that would be better. Except for the deaths and permanent injuries. SMH

Why?

it was not better when we got the measles ... particularly rubella.

Looks like measles kills more people every year than ebola. What a different reaction from the nutters to both diseases.
Truly. If it's Ebola, they want to quarantine you if you were on the same continent as an outbreak. If it's the measles, go ahead and show your infected kid's spotty skin to everyone and take him to Disneyland to infect others. Immunization? Immunization is the Devil!

CALIFORNIA

Prosecuted for what?

WHO Measles
You may want to learn to question metric used in statements like these.

Measles is one of the leading causes of death? No. The number of deaths reported for measles includes children. Learn to think.

145,700 deaths in a population of 7 billion people. Think about that.

No one is saying that the vaccine does not work. However, before the vaccine, the vast majority of people who contracted measles survived with no lasting medical problems.

I believe in vaccines and have had my children vaccinated. However, your abject fear and terror at a minor childhood disease is rather amusing. Vaccinate your kids and you won't have to worry about those who are not vaccinated.

Problem solved.

CALIFORNIA

Prosecuted for what?

WHO Measles

Measles is one of the leading causes of death? No. The number of deaths reported for measles includes children. Learn to think.

No one is saying that the vaccine does not work. However, before the vaccine, the vast majority of people who contracted measles survived with no lasting medical problems.

I believe in vaccines and have had my children vaccinated. However, your abject fear and terror at a minor childhood disease is rather amusing. Vaccinate your kids and you won't have to worry about those who are not vaccinated.

Problem solved.

Measles is one of the leading causes of death?

Of children, yes.

I think it would be higher if the anti-vaxxer idiocy continues.

However, before the vaccine, the vast majority of people who contracted measles survived with no lasting medical problems.

And the minority who died or had lasting damage? No big deal?

However, your abject fear and terror at a minor childhood disease is rather amusing.

Yes, idiots who put their own children and others at risk are really amusing. Asshole.

CALIFORNIA

Prosecuted for what?

WHO Measles

Problem solved.

Of children, yes.

However, before the vaccine, the vast majority of people who contracted measles survived with no lasting medical problems.

However, your abject fear and terror at a minor childhood disease is rather amusing.

Yes, idiots who put their own children and others at risk are really amusing. Asshole.
Your problem is, you don't think. You just react...with fear....

145,700 deaths in a population of 7 billion people is 0.00005% of the population.

Do you know why that is? Because people rarely die from measles.

You don't seem to understand (not surprising it appears) that its tragic that some do have medical issues after contracting measles.

However, the percentage is so slight as to be almost negligible and is by NO MEANS a justification for government breaking the sanctity of the parent/child relation. None at all.

You don't have the right nor the intelligence to make choices for others. What is amusing, since you don't seem to grasp English very well, is YOUR fear, no the plight of children.

Take your 'the sky is falling' sign back to the corner of Panicked and Irrational.

• You may want to learn to question metric used in statements like these.

Problem solved.

Of children, yes.

Your problem is, you don't think. You just react...with fear....

145,700 deaths in a population of 7 billion people is 0.00005% of the population.

You don't seem to understand (not surprising it appears) that its tragic that some do have medical issues after contracting measles.

However, the percentage is so slight as to be almost negligible and is by NO MEANS a justification for government breaking the sanctity of the parent/child relation. None at all.

You don't have the right nor the intelligence to make choices for others. What is amusing, since you don't seem to grasp English very well, is YOUR fear, no the plight of children.

Take your 'the sky is falling' sign back to the corner of Panicked and Irrational.

You just react...with fear....
Yes, I'm afraid of idiots who put children at risk for no good reason.

They rarely die because billions of people have been vaccinated. Idiot.

The anti-vaxxers are the irrational ones.

Forum List

Back