Start Breaking Quote Chains People

Sounds just as annoying as the problem. Why not just throw something in your signature if it's such a big deal to you?

Don't be a lazy ass leftist. It's so easy even you can do this
leftist instructions.jpg

If the site only quoted the post you click quote, this wouldn't be an issue and make this forum much cleaner looking

When the chain starts getting long us the direct quote feature.

Its bad enough to get 200 notifications in a day but then you gotta scroll for hours through nothing but LINES only to find out that the topic has so drastically changed that it has nothing to do with what you posted!
Literally 2 or 3 people just endlessly slinging insults at each other.

Highlight the relevant text and click the quote option instead of reply.

PLEASE
This is the only forum I've been on that strings all the posts. It's bizarre doing that. Can they not do a software setting so it functions like every other forum?

When the chain starts getting long us the direct quote feature.

Its bad enough to get 200 notifications in a day but then you gotta scroll for hours through nothing but LINES only to find out that the topic has so drastically changed that it has nothing to do with what you posted!
Literally 2 or 3 people just endlessly slinging insults at each other.

Highlight the relevant text and click the quote option instead of reply.

PLEASE
This is the only forum I've been on that strings all the posts. It's bizarre doing that. Can they not do a software setting so it functions like every other forum?
It didn't use to be this way on the old software.

Ok, I get the point that when you "Reply" the whole past gets copied, with all the indenting and all, so can be very long and useless.
But are you saying to high light just some section, and then hit the "+Quote" button?
I have never tried that.
I usually just "reply" and then delete all but what I want.

The quoting feature is very simple. You can just erase the bits you don't need.

Ok, I get the point that when you "Reply" the whole past gets copied, with all the indenting and all, so can be very long and useless.
But are you saying to high light just some section, and then hit the "+Quote" button?
I have never tried that.
I usually just "reply" and then delete all but what I want.
Yes

Depending on the platform you're on the standard reply can take FOREVER to scroll through
"But are you saying to high light just some section, and then hit the "+Quote" button?"

No, highlight, then hit "REPLY" (the new reply button that will appear when you high light)

there is a sticky thread on selective quoting here

Check the date. And the dozen threads I've answered like this one in this very forum. Don't know why it's such mystery after about a couple hundred public mod replies and reminders and the instructions and reason for the problem right up at the top of this forum. I just gave up, because folks are just angry and pounding "Reply" all the time...

Maybe they should fix the issue. Cut off the quotes after 10 or 15. Why is this in politics?

Another one that never read the sticky where I told everyone where the problem came from.
Xenforo decided to leverage this code to do everything for everybody. And in the process, screwed up the format for message boards. Can no longer set "quote depth" from the Admin view. Choices are the last post only or infinity..

Maybe they should fix the issue. Cut off the quotes after 10 or 15. Why is this in politics?

Another one that never read the sticky where I told everyone where the problem came from.
Xenforo decided to leverage this code to do everything for everybody. And in the process, screwed up the format for message boards. Can no longer set "quote depth" from the Admin view. Choices are the last post only or infinity..

Every forum has this problem? Nope.

Nah, this is a fixable problem.
Ya, read the 'sticky' it has been up for months. It ain't hard to break the quote train. Why wait for mommy and daddy to do it for you? Reach around to your back with one hand. Place your hand in the middle of your back. Feel that? It's called a SPINE....use it. :cool:

Forum List

Back