Stand Up and Be Thankful!

The two posters above should seriously consider packing their shit and getting the FO since this is such a miserable place to them and they loathe it so much.

Good riddance.

You gonna make us leave, sweet little pajama boy?

What, you snowflakes think your can cry at me until I leave?

They're reviving the old 'America Love it or Leave it' rants from the Vietnam era.

The Pledge says...

'one nation...indivisible'?

Tell that to the RWnuts who yak about the legality of secession, who advocate it, who praise the states of the South who attempted it, and demonize those who thwarted it.

Red herring. Ignored.

If we were truly indivisible, this thread wouldn't be necessary.

You wouldn't know a red herring if you were eating it with a knife and fork.

Rare is the conservative who truly believes this country is indivisible. They champion division every day.

I don't need to avow myself to a damn flag to be grateful...Not do I like nationalistic symbolism of the empire...

Then feel free to leave. That is all I have to say.
The neat thing is I don't have to...Unless you want to buy 43 acres..

Yeah that is the neat thing. That you can be an ingrate and an American citizen at the same time.
And a veteran who's already shown his pride by doing time...I don't need the continuous hoopla about how you must emote or else...

I love how some veterans use their service as a cudgel in arguments. Are you truly grateful? Or are you just bitter that you live in the same country as those who actually appreciate their freedoms? The smallest display of pride can have the most significance. Just because you served our military does not absolve you of allegiance to this country. If you want to absolve yourself, please, by all means expatriate.

Put your money where your mouth is.

Anyone has the right to have an opinion. I have a right to like or dislike it. Does that mean I'm going to be some snowflake about it?

Obviously yes. That's why you made the thread. It's entirely a display of your snowflakism.

Aaaand here we go with the "stolen valor" argument.

Then maybe you should stop resorting to the tactic, eh? Don't hide behind the skirts of the military to push your anti-Constitution agenda.

Especially don't tell everyone how the military is disrespected, and then criticize veterans who tell you no, we're only disrespected by your actions. That's quite hypocritical on your part. You're the one who brought veterans into it, so don't cry about how awful it is that veterans responded to you.

Why do you think our soldiers wear that flag on their uniforms? It tells any foe unfortunate enough to cross them or their comrades that they fight for the United States of America, and are willing to die for it if necessary.

That's a fine deflection, but your conclusion still has nothing to do with your premise. Kneeling during the national anthem to protest police brutality has absolutely nothing to do with the military.

Oh, and by all means, try that argument on this guy:

Is he stealing valor?

Obviously not, because he already has it. And that has nothing to do with whether he stands or kneels.

Goodness gracious. Just what were you trying to accomplish with this ham fisted argument of yours anyway?

I successfully pointed out that you don't have any actual argument, and that you're using a Stalinist-style tactic of accusing your enemies of being disloyal to the state.

Ad hominem is for the weak. Why should I take you seriously when you're bent on insulting me?

Evasion is for the cowardly, and you're evading.

Your words were "This is the only country in the world that allows you to express a contrary opinion without experiencing any retribution."

You're actually claiming the USA is the only nation on earth that allows free speech.

Do you still stand by that statement? That is, are you saying that a Canadian would go to jail for criticizing the government?

Obviously yes. That's why you made the thread. It's entirely a display of your snowflakism.

Interesting, since when is demanding someone appreciate the rights and freedoms they have being a snowflake?

Then maybe you should stop resorting to the tactic, eh? Don't hide behind the skirts of the military to push your anti-Constitution agenda.

Oh? So why is Moonglow doing it? Perhaps he didn't get the memo.

Once again, is this guy trying to "hide behind the skirts of the military to push an anti-constitution agenda"? Or will you keep ignoring it?

That's a fine deflection, but your conclusion still has nothing to do with your premise. Kneeling during the national anthem to protest police brutality has absolutely nothing to do with the military.

This went by you both ways on a four lane highway. Kneeling is a show of disrespect to those who served in our military. What was it you just said?

"we're only disrespected by your actions"

Well by those actions alone they are disrespecting millions of service members dead or alive who served this country.

Obviously not, because he already has it. And that has nothing to do with whether he stands or kneels.

And who is it now deflecting?

I successfully pointed out that you don't have any actual argument, and that you're using a Stalinist-style tactic of accusing your enemies of being disloyal to the state.

You did no such thing. If I wanted to be Stalin-esque about this, I would have all those who knelt executed.

But um, since I'm not, I am not using any Stalinist style anything, nor do I perceive my fellow Americans as enemies.

If your American citizenship means anything to you, and you are truly grateful for it, you stand for the National Anthem and you pledge you allegiance to the country that flag represents.

This is the only country in the world that allows you to express a contrary opinion without experiencing any retribution. If you are thankful for your freedom to express yourself, you stand for that National Anthem and pledge allegiance to the country that flag represents.

Millions of men and women in uniform died on the battlefield bearing the flag of the United States, and for your right to have an opinion, regardless of how much I disapprove of it.

The freedom you have came at great cost to others, and I'll be damned before I condone this type of disrespect to the land of my birth and to the men and women who died for it. I don't care who you are, you are an American, so act like one. I am proud of where I come from, and will be through the good times and bad.

Now I understand why my father is not a big fan of sports. He served in the military, and this kind of "protest the anthem" stuff is essentially a slap in the face to the sacrifices he made on the field of battle.
This is not the only country in the world that allows you to express a contrary opinion, and there are plenty of examples of people expressing contrary opinions and experiencing plenty of retribution here.

This is not the only country in the world that allows you to express a contrary opinion, and there are plenty of examples of people expressing contrary opinions and experiencing plenty of retribution here.

Good. I was wondering when someone was going to catch that. That was an intentional misstatement on my part.

Imagine being a conservative in this day and age, on a college campus. Or, just imagine being a conservative period. Or, imagine being a liberal under the delusion that his point of view is the prevailing one and that anyone holding a contrary point is a "bigot", "racist", "homophobe", "misogynist" and et cetera worthy of hatred, scorn and exclusion.

If we are supposed to be indivisible, like Carbine expressed, why do people act like this? Diversity of opinion invites disunity and divisibility. Naturally.

Last edited:
If your American citizenship means anything to you, and you are truly grateful for it, you stand for the National Anthem and you pledge you allegiance to the country that flag represents.

This is the only country in the world that allows you to express a contrary opinion without experiencing any retribution. If you are thankful for your freedom to express yourself, you stand for that National Anthem and pledge allegiance to the country that flag represents.

Millions of men and women in uniform died on the battlefield bearing the flag of the United States, and for your right to have an opinion, regardless of how much I disapprove of it.

The freedom you have came at great cost to others, and I'll be damned before I condone this type of disrespect to the land of my birth and to the men and women who died for it. I don't care who you are, you are an American, so act like one. I am proud of where I come from, and will be through the good times and bad.

Now I understand why my father is not a big fan of sports. He served in the military, and this kind of "protest the anthem" stuff is essentially a slap in the face to the sacrifices he made on the field of battle.

Ad hominem is for the weak. Why should I take you seriously when you're bent on insulting me?

Evasion is for the cowardly, and you're evading.

Your words were "This is the only country in the world that allows you to express a contrary opinion without experiencing any retribution."

You're actually claiming the USA is the only nation on earth that allows free speech.

Do you still stand by that statement? That is, are you saying that a Canadian would go to jail for criticizing the government?

Depends on the opinion.

Canada’s clampdown on free speech - The Boston Globe

"Though written to prevent neo-Nazis and other odious characters from spewing their toxins, these restrictions have become human rights violations in themselves. Among the targets of these laws have been anti-American protesters, an anti-gay Christian pastor, radical Islamists, anti-Hindu Sikhs, French-Canadian nationalists, a movie sympathetic to South Africa, an anti-Semitic Indian, a pro-Zionist book, a Jewish community leader and Salman Rushdie’s novel “The Satanic Verses.’’

In other words, anybody with an unpopular viewpoint can become fodder for the courts, which alone are granted the freedom to determine the limits of civilized ideas. The laws as they were written were a recipe for censorship, and the meal has now been cooked.

Worse, the legal restrictions on free speech have contributed to a climate where freedom of thought and speech is considered a disposable value. During a 2008 case examining a white supremacist, a lead investigator for the Human Rights Commission was asked what value she gave to the freedom of speech. She responded: “Freedom of speech is an American concept, so I don’t give it any value. It’s not my job to give value to an American concept.’’ Various speakers in recent years have been forced to cancel their talks because of possible violence. Not surprisingly, there has been a lot of pushback against the speech laws, with Liberal Members of Parliament suggesting that the Human Rights Commission be shut down.
"

That is, are you saying that a Canadian would go to jail for criticizing the government?

What does Canada have to do with this discussion? But since you asked:

"Sections 318, 319, and 320 of the Code forbid hate propaganda.[3] "Hate propaganda" means "any writing, sign or visible representation that advocates or promotes genocide or the communication of which by any person would constitute an offence under section 319."

Section 318 prescribes imprisonment for a term not exceeding five years for anyone who advocates genocide. The Code defines genocide as the destruction of an "identifiable group." The Code defines an "identifiable group" as "any section of the public distinguished by colour, race, religion, ethnic origin or sexual orientation."

Section 319 prescribes penalties from a fine to imprisonment for a term not exceeding two years for anyone who, by communicating statements in any public place, incites hatred against any identifiable group where such incitement is likely to lead to a breach of the peace.

Under section 319, an accused is not guilty: (a) if he establishes that the statements communicated were true; (b) if, in good faith, the person expressed or attempted to establish by an argument an opinion on a religious subject or an opinion based on a belief in a religious text; (c) if the statements were relevant to any subject of public interest, the discussion of which was for the public benefit, and if on reasonable grounds he believed them to be true; or (d) if, in good faith, he intended to point out, for the purpose of removal, matters producing or tending to produce feelings of hatred toward an identifiable group in Canada.

Section 320 allows a judge to confiscate publications which appear to be hate propaganda."

Hate speech laws in Canada - Wikipedia

We are all free to say as we please, and whether or not we stand for a song or a flag is no indication as to how much we love our country.

When you're under contract and are performing before a national audience, I would say otherwise.

Moving on..
Of course you are because you can't actually address my point

Why should I? You would rather address the falsehood of me living in my grandmother's basement than actually having a civil discussion with me.

Once again, moving on...

Forum List

Back