Stack The Court, Genius Move Democrats!

McConnel blocked federal judges for the 2nd half of Obama's term

How many of Obama's nominees did he actually block?
It wasn't 105. So how many was it?
How many judges did Obama nominate after the 2014 elections that the Senate blocked?
Show your facts.

Don't know. After Mcconnel announced he was gonna blockade the nominations, and showed that he meant it, I'm not sure how much effort Obama extended fighting the republican abuse of power.

Since the Senate has regressed to the "Tyranny of Democracy" to fill the federal bench as well as the Supreme Court with ideologues, I expect the Democrats to use every Constitutional measure to counter the Banana Republicans attack on our once great Republic.
Keeping the rules as was would have been smarter even if people got pissed off. Progs are the ones who change things. Repubs follow.

McConnell started off by blocking all of Obama's lower court nominees with the 60 vote Cloture rule. Forcing Reid to change the cloture rule for the lower courts nominees. McConnell, when the Banana bunch to control, changed the rule to include Supreme Court Justices that could be appointed by a simple 50% +1 majority. It was a raw political power move when he blocked hearing on Garland and it's raw political power move to shove Barrett down Americans throats now. Don't be surprised if the Democrats use raw political power to even the playing field.

McConnell started off by blocking all of Obama's lower court nominees with the 60 vote Cloture rule.

All of them? I don't believe you. Link?

But you have to remember what was going on at the time. Obama was President. We had the majority, but we didn’t have enough to break filibusters. And the Republicans were filibustering everything. For the first time in history, they filibustered the nomination of a Secretary of Defense, and let’s keep in mind that it was Chuck Hagel, a Republican. They filibustered all the sub-Cabinet positions, all of his judges. The government couldn’t function. So we changed the rule, and I’m glad we did.”

Reid has a point, especially about judges. Obama had managed to fill two Supreme Court seats in his first term, but by the time he was reëlected Republican filibusters had brought the confirmation of judges to a near-total stop. Specifically, in 2013, Obama had three pending nominations for the D.C. Circuit, widely known as the second-most important court in the nation, and Mitch McConnell, then the Minority Leader, was staging filibusters against them all. In response, Reid and his Democratic colleagues changed the rule, so that only a simple majority, instead of sixty votes, was required to close debate on judges and Presidential appointees. The three D.C. Circuit nominees were confirmed, as were several dozen other judges before the midterm elections of 2014, when Republicans gained a majority in the Senate. At that point, McConnell almost completely shut down the confirmation of Obama’s judges. “If we hadn’t acted, Obama would have accomplished nothing,” Reid said. “We had no choice—zero

They filibustered all the sub-Cabinet positions, all of his judges.

How many? Give me a number.

"Obama had managed to fill two Supreme Court seats in his first term, but by the time he was reëlected Republican filibusters had brought the confirmation of judges to a near-total stop. Specifically, in 2013, Obama had three pending nominations for the D.C. Circuit, widely known as the second-most important court in the nation, and Mitch McConnell, then the Minority Leader, was staging filibusters against them all. "

They filibustered all the sub-Cabinet positions, all of his judges.

How many? Give me a number.

"Obama had managed to fill two Supreme Court seats in his first term, but by the time he was reëlected Republican filibusters had brought the confirmation of judges to a near-total stop. Specifically, in 2013, Obama had three pending nominations for the D.C. Circuit, widely known as the second-most important court in the nation, and Mitch McConnell, then the Minority Leader, was staging filibusters against them all. "

So in 2013 McConnell started using the same tools the Democrats used against Bush in 2003?

Since the Senate has regressed to the "Tyranny of Democracy" to fill the federal bench as well as the Supreme Court with ideologues, I expect the Democrats to use every Constitutional measure to counter the Banana Republicans attack on our once great Republic.
Still waiting

Forum List

Back