Sports Interesting Nicknames

Skeptic1959

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2020
Another fun topic! Let's see what you can come up with in listing nicknames in sports.

I'll get the ball rolling with two!

"Dummy Hoy." Yes, there was a baseball player named William Ellsworth Hoy. He got the nickname "Dummy" because at the age of three he was diagnosed with meningitis which made him deaf. He actually gave himself the nickname Dummy after people kept calling him by his birthname. Hoy would go on to play on several Major League Baseball teams and finish his career with 2,048 hits and a .288 batting average.
1613146415043.png

#2. Mordecai Peter Centennial Brown better known as "Three Finger Brown." After a farming accident that took off parts of two fingers on his right hand, Brown did not let this deter his opportunity to use that hand and become an outstanding pitcher for a handful of Major League Baseball teams where he won 239 games and lost just 130 with an E.R.A. fo 2.06 while striking out 1,375.
1613146565649.png
1613146573534.png

I remember a pitcher named Sal Maglie (his nickname was "the barber"). I imagine it was because he threw the ball so close to the batters. But I'm not so sure about how he got the nick name.

A couple of my favorites come from my long love affair with the Boise State Broncos.

Kellen Moore - Quarterbacks Coach - Dallas Cowboys. A 50-3 record (those 3 losses by a TOTAL of 5 points) made him the winningest college QB of all time. Kellen is from the tiny town of Prosser, Washington - hence the nick: "The Tosser from Prosser".

Doug Martin - Running back for Tampa Bay Bucs who had I believe three 200 yard games in 2012 (one over 250). Some called him The Human Bowling Ball - But my favorite was "The Muscle Hamster".

quarterback-kellen-moore-of-the-boise-state-broncos-passes-the-ball-picture-id95631827

TKyynpiczBoAKlO-800x450-noPad.jpg

Forum List

Back