Missing Out on a Hall of Fame Induction

okfine

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2019
Gold Coast
Jesse Orosco got screwed. I came across this Bleacher Report story a while back. (sorry it won't show up)
Jesse is a local legend and one hell of a lefty.

"One stinkin’ vote. Orosco garnered 0.2 percent of the vote, tragically leaving him 74.8 percent shy of the magical mark."

What a shame. Misses by 0.2 per cent of the magic number of 75.
By the way, his birthday is one month from today. He is also the cousin of a good friend who mentioned his b-day is coming.

"Jesse Russell Orosco (born April 21, 1957) is a Mexican American former relief pitcher in Major League Baseball who holds the major league record for career pitching appearances, having pitched in 1,252 games.[1] He pitched most notably for the New York Mets in the 1980s and made the NL All-Star team in 1983 and 1984. He won a World Series in 1986 with the Mets and in 1988 with the Dodgers. He threw left-handed, but batted right-handed. He retired in 2003 after having been with the Mets, Dodgers, Cleveland Indians, Milwaukee Brewers, Baltimore Orioles, St. Louis Cardinals, San Diego Padres, New York Yankees, and Minnesota Twins. He retired when he was 46 years old, one of the oldest players to still be playing in the modern age. Orosco is one of only 29 players in baseball history to date to have appeared in Major League games in four decades."

"At his peak, Orosco was virtually unhittable against left-handed batters. Rob Neyer later wrote that Orosco stayed in the majors for almost a quarter-century because of "his ability to make lefties look foolish."

In the following video watch for Ray Knight #22. 1986 WS MVP.

Last edited:
Jesse Orosco got screwed. I came across this story a while back. Jesse is a local legend and one hell of a lefty.

"One stinkin’ vote. Orosco garnered 0.2 percent of the vote, tragically leaving him 74.8 percent shy of the magical mark."

By the way, his birthday is one month from today. He is also the cousin of a good friend who mentioned his b-day is coming.

"Jesse Russell Orosco (born April 21, 1957) is a Mexican American former relief pitcher in Major League Baseball who holds the major league record for career pitching appearances, having pitched in 1,252 games.[1] He pitched most notably for the New York Mets in the 1980s and made the NL All-Star team in 1983 and 1984. He won a World Series in 1986 with the Mets and in 1988 with the Dodgers. He threw left-handed, but batted right-handed. He retired in 2003 after having been with the Mets, Dodgers, Cleveland Indians, Milwaukee Brewers, Baltimore Orioles, St. Louis Cardinals, San Diego Padres, New York Yankees, and Minnesota Twins. He retired when he was 46 years old, one of the oldest players to still be playing in the modern age. Orosco is one of only 29 players in baseball history to date to have appeared in Major League games in four decades."

"At his peak, Orosco was virtually unhittable against left-handed batters. Rob Neyer later wrote that Orosco stayed in the majors for almost a quarter-century because of "his ability to make lefties look foolish."

So close, and yet so far.

From the Bleacher Report

Unforgiveable Hall Of Fame Oversight: The Jesse Orosco Story​

Jon SladekJanuary 12, 2009

It is unlikely there will ever be a baseball Hall of Fame vote devoid of controversy. Between hardcore baseball fans, It usually makes for a lively and jovial debate.

This year, however, the results struck of nerve with me, and I refuse to sit idly while an injustice occurs.

As soon as the results were announced, I quickly rushed to the internet to check the numbers. Both Rickey Henderson and Jim Rice obtained the necessary 75 percent for induction into the Hall.

I scanned the list noticing several familiar names along the way—Dawson, Blyleven, Smith, Morris, Raines.

Finally, pulling up the rear was none other than my man, Jesse Orosco.

One stinkin’ vote.

Orosco garnered 0.2 percent of the vote, tragically leaving him 74.8 percent shy of the magical mark.

Now I’m not sure what the former southpaw did to the media, but is it not time to call off the dogs? Haven’t the hordes of Jesseheads—the pitcher’s rabid fan club members—suffered long enough?

The argument could be made that during the span of Orosco’s career from 1979 to 2003, the man simply WAS baseball. Now that argument would certainly be greeted with uproarious laughter and ridicule, but that isn’t the point here.

No official statement was released from the Orosco camp, but rumor has it he expressed shock to even earn a vote. Hearing Orosco’s expectations lowered to that degree due to some misguided media witch hunt saddens me as I’m sure it also saddens the fans of the Mets, Dodgers, Indians, Brewers, Orioles, Cardinals, Padres, Yankees and Twins; the teams for which he so valiantly performed.

For goodness sakes this is the all-time leader in games pitched! Nobody, I mean NOBODY showed up for work quite like Orosco.

I can still remember sitting in an empty Cleveland Municipal Stadium with my father in 1991 watching a 105-loss Indians team. There wasn’t much to cheer for in those days, but nothing was more exciting than seeing that bullpen door swing open, and Orosco’s wonderfully misshapen body emerge with the Tribe trailing by five runs after another Denis Boucher or “Hot” Rod Nichols shelling.

Two or three enemy baserunners would be on base, but if you were lucky, Orosco would throw them the “Uncle Jesse” and get an inning-ending force out at second base.

Those are the memories you hang on to.
The ones not even a Hall of Fame voter can take away.

Jesse Orosco got screwed. I came across this Bleacher Report story a while back. (sorry it won't show up)
Jesse is a local legend and one hell of a lefty.

When you infuriated a lot of players who couldn't hit your throws, they may have held a grudge on Orosco's judgment day. They oughta give him a Hall of Fame spot for making the most hitters miss. Pass it on, okfine!!! :thup:

I’m a Met fan and Jesse really delivered in 86
Got the final out in the Series

Wish we had him today
He will always hold a special place in Mets fans hearts

Forum List

Back