Spike Lee to boycott Oscars. No mention of boycotting NBA

IrishProtestLuckyCharmsNOT_zpsx2qmd1d5.jpg

Oscar Voter Rips Diversity Plan: "Try Telling the NBA to Hire More White, Latino, Chinese or Eskimo Players"

This piece is by Stephen Verona, a member of the Academy's directors branch who received a best live action short Oscar nomination for 1969's The Rehearsal, is part of an ongoing series of guest columns by Academy members about the #OscarsSoWhite controversy and the Academy's response to it.
I, too, am an outraged Academy member.
I have been in the Academy since I was nominated in 1972. I am a member of the directors branch, serve on the foreign language committee. I’m one of those “old white guys” who was flabbergasted and then outraged when I saw the position taken by Cheryl Boone Isaacs and the Board of Governors.
I produced as well as co-wrote and co-directed The Lords of Flatbush, which brought my discoveries of Sylvester Stallone and Henry Winkler their first screen appearance long before Rocky and Fonzie. I also gave Gladys Knight her first dramatic acting role in Pipe Dreams.
I never, never hire anyone because of their race, religion or political beliefs. To be lumped in as "racist" by the likes of Spike Lee and Jada Pinkett Smith is totally out of line. I believe talent is what should be honored — gifted individuals who help make movies great.
Try telling the NBA to hire more white, Latino, Chinese or Eskimo basketball players and see the backlash. And by the way, why doesn’t Spike Lee return his honorary Oscar if he’s so incensed? If people make better movies, they will be rewarded. That’s as simple as it can be.

Oscar Voter Rips Diversity Plan: "Try Telling the NBA to Hire More White, Latino, Chinese or Eskimo Players"

This just show how ignorant and racist are these people making this award.

Actually you were the racist one when you said no Black actors gave oscar performances. I just agreed you whites would really think that because you are racists.
Don't be mad at us that your community didn't produce anything Oscar worthy. You guys need to learn how to get things based on merit. Don't worry though, we will hand you fuckloads of nominations next year. Not because you deserve it, but because you need to be coddled like children.

Just wait and see.... we will drown you with pity awards in 2016.

Bullshit.... Movie Concussion was an excellent performance by Wil Smith. Fassbender and Cranston rated tomato popo but got the nomination.
Last year 2015 Selma was a good movie but no blacks actors nominated. Oscar committee are consist of 98% whites mostly old men.
I'm not black. They don't need a pity they are just asking what is fair not this bullshit that you are parading.
I didnt see concussion, but I heard a lot of complaints about will smith's accent in it. You cant get an oscar without at least nailing the accent of the character you're playing. Selma wasn't that great last year, so no surprise there.

This year, straight outa compton was good, but not quite oscar worthy. Creed was good, but not oscar worthy, not even for best supporting actor, even though stalone did a good job.

Revenant was my pick for best picture/best actor before I knew it was even considered.
Nobody believes you cave monkey. Try harder to convince us.
Why are you calling me cave monkey? I'm white.
Because thats what you are. A white cave monkey. Didnt that hair lice you have give you a clue?

Our useless controlled media won't ask him about that. Why do we need racial quotas in the movie biz but not in pro sports??

Spike Lee Boycotts Oscars, Compares Himself to Martin Luther King, Jr.

jan 18 2016 Spike Lee will boycott this year’s Academy Awards after the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences nominated exclusively white actors in top categories for a second consecutive year.

In an Instagram post Monday morning, the Chi-Raq director said he meant “no disrespect” toward ceremony host Chris Rock and Academy president Cheryl Boone Isaacs, but felt compelled to act after seeing this year’s nominations.

“How is it possible for the second consecutive year all 20 contenders under the acting category are white?” Lee wrote in a lengthy post. “And let’s not even get into the other branches. Forty white actors in two years and flava at all. We can’t act?! WTF!!”

Wonder if he even considered that no black actor or actress gave an academy level performance in 2015??

Nope. Guess that never crossed his mind.
Why would he consider that when that is not true?
What you are demanding is a participation trophy. Is that really what you want?
Who told you I wanted a participation trophy? Its a non issue as far as I am concerned. What old white people think is award worthy is irreleveant to me. Thats why I only watch Black award shows.

This piece is by Stephen Verona, a member of the Academy's directors branch who received a best live action short Oscar nomination for 1969's The Rehearsal, is part of an ongoing series of guest columns by Academy members about the #OscarsSoWhite controversy and the Academy's response to it.
I have been in the Academy since I was nominated in 1972. I am a member of the directors branch, serve on the foreign language committee. I’m one of those “old white guys” who was flabbergasted and then outraged when I saw the position taken by Cheryl Boone Isaacs and the Board of Governors.
I produced as well as co-wrote and co-directed The Lords of Flatbush, which brought my discoveries of Sylvester Stallone and Henry Winkler their first screen appearance long before Rocky and Fonzie. I also gave Gladys Knight her first dramatic acting role in Pipe Dreams.
I never, never hire anyone because of their race, religion or political beliefs. To be lumped in as "racist" by the likes of Spike Lee and Jada Pinkett Smith is totally out of line. I believe talent is what should be honored — gifted individuals who help make movies great.
Try telling the NBA to hire more white, Latino, Chinese or Eskimo basketball players and see the backlash. And by the way, why doesn’t Spike Lee return his honorary Oscar if he’s so incensed? If people make better movies, they will be rewarded. That’s as simple as it can be.

White racists like to pretend there is no racism towards Blacks but swear a white owned NBA team is being racist towards whites. It pretty much displays their incredible stupidity.

White racists like to pretend there is no racism towards Blacks but swear a white owned NBA team is being racist towards whites. It pretty much displays their incredible stupidity.
what's really funny is that it's correct.

what's really funny is that it's correct.
The only thing funny is your obvious lack of logical thinking. So you agree white people are inherently racist? If the team is owned by whites how does that make Black people racist? Do you need some time to figure that out?

Lots of people are making that point. Blacks tell us whites are in a giant conspiracy to deny good jobs to blacks and yet the NBA and NFL with their $30 million contracts are way way way over-represented in blacks.

You're just mad because you don't have a rebuttal. If we're gonna have racial quotas, they're gonna have to apply in pro sports too. HAHAHA. Again i have gutted you.

You're just mad because you don't have a rebuttal. If we're gonna have racial quotas, they're gonna have to apply in pro sports too. HAHAHA. Again i have gutted you.

Nope..... Your racist opinion doesn't count. Come back you have a credibility.

Let them boycott. It will stink less if they aren't there.

I feel sorry for you.

I feel sorry for you.

You should feel sorry for those boycotting something because they don't like the choices that entity made. Maybe white people should boycott the BET awards. Wait, they already do because they're nothing more than awards going to those who would otherwise not win a damn thing where it counts.

They should just "do away" with all awards shows, as Danny Glover suggests: Danny Glover: Maybe We Should Do Away With the Oscars (SUNDANCE VIDEO)

I mean, think of all the "feelings" that are hurt when a person doesn't win!

Think of all the "feelings" that are hurt when someone isn't nominated!

Think of all the "feelings" that are hurt when someone of the wrong skin color wins!

We must protect the feelings of certain people at all costs.

PARTICIPATION AWARDS FOR ALL ACTORS AND ACTRESSES!!

:spinner:

I feel sorry for you.

You should feel sorry for those boycotting something because they don't like the choices that entity made. Maybe white people should boycott the BET awards. Wait, they already do because they're nothing more than awards going to those who would otherwise not win a damn thing where it counts.

I feel sorry for you cause your credibility is only base on hatred and racism. So your opinion doesn't count.

I feel sorry for you.

I feel sorry for you cause your credibility is only base on hatred and racism. So your opinion doesn't count.

Says the one that believes when a bunch of whining blacks don't get what they want it's OK to cry like little bitches and blame anything but their lack of ability on their failures.

Forum List

Back