Spanish become the main language of the usa in future?

Home improvement store nearby has primary signs in Spanish with English sub-titles. A corporate thing as Spanish is little used in this area. French or Portuguese would make sense as secondaries. In one particular store of the chain the primary probably should be Ebonics.

But, hey, for chains? One Size Fits All!

Absent a Muslim takeover - if that hasn't already happened - I believe we'll see a new quasi-language arise. Words from both English and Spanish mingled even further than we see today. What will be more telling will be sentence structure. English seems to cut to the chase more quickly than Spanish but not in every case. We'll likely see a hybrid (OK, mongrel) language. Unless, of course, Sharia law forbids it.
English is a "mongrel" language, as you put it, a blend of Old English, German and Latin, mainly, with some Spanish lingo thrown in.

Old English is Germanic though. Used to be much more German than it is now, but then we got that French superstructure from the Normans, and they still exist in parallel today to express different code switching for the same concepts (French "urine" / Old English "piss"....) so we're basically a Germanic language with a French twist, and a ton of immigrants from elsewhere in Europe, Africa, Asia and Native America. As well as Arabic...

Home improvement store nearby has primary signs in Spanish with English sub-titles. A corporate thing as Spanish is little used in this area. French or Portuguese would make sense as secondaries. In one particular store of the chain the primary probably should be Ebonics.

:lol:
Way to win the hearts of your Portuguese customers -- talk to them in Spanish.

Beware American style hand gestures in other countries, particularly Brasil. Our common thumb-and-finger circle with three raised fingers approximate our single raised finger. But turn the same three fingers down and it's worse.

Know why?

:lol:
Way to win the hearts of your Portuguese customers -- talk to them in Spanish.

You'd have more luck with that than the other way around.

I think Spanglish will someday become the major spoken language in the USA. :)

I sure hope not. It's not even a language. Why should our national de facto language change anyway and why should it be about Spanish? We keep getting told that immigrants are assimilating and citizen Spanish speakers know English.

That's why German, Polish, French, Italian never became dominant all over our country is because most of them came legally at the same time and assimilated to English.

Latino immigrants are "assimilating to English" just as those from European countries have.
As they make money and pay income taxes, they are becoming Republicans too.

Are you joking? Latinos vote Democrat as most minorities do. Why do you think that Obama is falling all over himself to grant amnesty for them?

Beware American style hand gestures in other countries, particularly Brasil. Our common thumb-and-finger circle with three raised fingers approximate our single raised finger. But turn the same three fingers down and it's worse.

Know why?

I didn't see this "hand gestures" thing yesterday. Here's a page from a site I used to write for...
I remember years ago in Rio, we were at the movies and they were showing a newsreel before the film. When Richard Nixon appeared making the OK sign, some clown in the audience yelled "that's what he's doing to the American people." Everyone in the theater broke out in laughter, of course, and we were laughing for quite a while!​

Yeah I'm a Brazil Nut from way back.

More on that from another favourite site: Seven Gestures That Can Get you Killed Overseas

-- we might want to print that page on our passports.

Forum List

Back