Southern Strategy

buckeye45_73

Lakhota's my *****
Jun 4, 2011
Damn thought my other ones posted first

So when did blacks switch and why????? I say it was during the Great Depression.....not the late 60s....and it was because of government programs, NOT civil rights......

well all be damned

FactCheck.org : Blacks and the Democratic Party

The election of Roosevelt in 1932 marked the beginning of a change. He got 71 percent of the black vote for president in 1936 and did nearly that well in the next two elections, according to historical figures kept by the Joint Center for Political and Economic Studies. But even then, the number of blacks identifying themselves as Republicans was about the same as the number who thought of themselves as Democrats

Even after that, Republican nominees continued to get a large slice of the black vote for several elections. Dwight D. Eisenhower got 39 percent in 1956, and Richard Nixon got 32 percent in his narrow loss to John F. Kennedy in 1960

They love that government money....it was government money and not civil rights...well shit, this isnt taught in schools......it was all the southern strategey.......oooops it wasnt

Last edited:
Wrong man, I have studied it.....lets look at them shall we?

United States presidential election, 1968 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

without the south
Nixon-247
Muiskie 191
Wallace-100

ooh close.....very close, but still a win for team Nixon...

United States presidential election, 1972 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

EVERYONE voted for Nixon, even Hawaii, MA, NY, CA, and the south! Sp if Nixon lost the south he would have only had hmmmm....lets see

Nixon---403
crazyman-124

Wow.....so it wasnt neccessary.....
United States presidential election, 1976 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

hmm the south voted for Carter...AFTER the southern strategy? how can this be?

United States presidential election, 1980 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reagan- amillion
Carter-not close

seriously it wouldnt have mattered until lik 1988 maybe?

United States presidential election, 1992 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Clinton split the south....hmmmm how is this???

United States presidential election, 1996 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

well he lost a few there, but still those dam Arkansas an west virginia...hmmmmmm

The point is the south is more republican NOW.......for a variety of factors, but the US presidential elections are your very best evidence......and it's not that great

then you get to sentaors, congress, state elections and local elections and it was a very very long time after....so why is that?????

and we know the senators didnt switch parties......and their seats remained in democrat hands.....in fact I'll post it for you again...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3LqPedoxSk"]Revealing the Truth about the Democratic Party Part 2: The Parties Switched - YouTube[/ame]
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3LqPedoxSk"]Revealing the Truth about the Democratic Party Part 2: The Parties Switched - YouTube[/ame]​

Now Starkey, which of those is wrong?

Southern strategy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Political scientists Richard Johnston (University of Pennsylvania) and Byron Shafer (University of Wisconsin) have argued that this phenomenon had more to do with the economics than it had to do with race. In The End of Southern Exceptionalism, Johnston and Shafer wrote that the Republicans' gains in the South corresponded to the growth of the upper middle class in that region. They suggested that such individuals believed their economic interests were better served by the Republicans than the Democrats. According to Johnston and Shafer, working-class white voters in the South continued to vote for Democrats for national office until the 1990s (ahem these are your jim crow demcrats...pig sooooooie!). In summary, Shafer told The New York Times, "[whites] voted by their economic preferences, not racial preferences".[11]

ACADEMICS

BINGOOOOOO and republicans moved south over the decades....hence this....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kent_Williams_(politician)

Williams was elected as speaker of the Tennessee House on January 13, 2009, in a surprising divergence from the Republican party's accepted plan for succession. Democrats, who had lost the majority in the House for the first time since 1969,

Southern Democrats - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Another exception is North Carolina. Despite the fact that the state has voted for Republicans in every presidential election from 1980 until 2004, the governorship (until 2012), legislature (until 2010), as well as most statewide offices remain in Democratic control, the congressional delegation was heavily democratic until 2012 when the Republicans passed a redistricting plan to put them in the driver's seat.

and from academics.......thank you!!!!!!

So when did blacks switch and why????? I say it was during the Great Depression.....not the late 60s....and it was because of government programs, NOT civil rights......

well all be damned

The election of Roosevelt in 1932 marked the beginning of a change. He got 71 percent of the black vote for president in 1936 and did nearly that well in the next two elections, according to historical figures kept by the Joint Center for Political and Economic Studies. But even then, the number of blacks identifying themselves as Republicans was about the same as the number who thought of themselves as Democrats

Even after that, Republican nominees continued to get a large slice of the black vote for several elections. Dwight D. Eisenhower got 39 percent in 1956, and Richard Nixon got 32 percent in his narrow loss to John F. Kennedy in 1960

They love that government money....it was government money and not civil rights...well shit, this isnt taught in schools......it was all the southern strategey.......oooops it wasnt

“Southern Strategy” refers to the GOP’s efforts during the 70s to incorporate social conservatives, Christian fundamentalists, and others on the radical right into the Party to take over the solid democratic – but socially conservative – South:

Uncovered at Last: Lee Atwater's Infamous 'Southern Strategy' Colloquy | Crooks and Liars

Unfortunately this resulted in the marginalization of republicans of good faith interested in responsible governance, much to the detriment of our Nation.

The Southern Strategy allowed the radical right and other fringe political elements access to a major political party with disastrous results, such as the credit rating downgrade and the current sequester.

“Southern Strategy” refers to the GOP’s efforts during the 70s to incorporate social conservatives, Christian fundamentalists, and others on the radical right into the Party to take over the solid democratic – but socially conservative – South:

Uncovered at Last: Lee Atwater's Infamous 'Southern Strategy' Colloquy | Crooks and Liars

Unfortunately this resulted in the marginalization of republicans of good faith interested in responsible governance, much to the detriment of our Nation.

The Southern Strategy allowed the radical right and other fringe political elements access to a major political party with disastrous results, such as the credit rating downgrade and the current sequester.

Wow see in school they teach southern strategy as a racial thing and why blacks wont vote republican......and that's the stuff Starkey was say...well pointing me to read academics.....

And the other thing they teach is that conservatives were the white southerners and they being the racists came into the republican party and the liberals were not the racists....even though history doesnt bare that out.

Christians were out of politics from the 10s to the 70s....and yeah the republican party incorporated them......but there were plenty of northern conservatives in the party......which is why I asked him when was the last time the democratic party had the more conservative candidate....and of course he dodged the question.

As for Lee Atwater.....I dont know where he came up with that.....because tax cuts does not equal ******....and I have no problem saying ******....two totally different things....same with forced bussing.....Boston had riots on it....I guess everyone in Boston is a racist....NOOOOOOO

Wow see in school they teach southern strategy as a racial thing and why blacks wont vote republican......and that's the stuff Starkey was say...well pointing me to read academics.....

And the other thing they teach is that conservatives were the white southerners and they being the racists came into the republican party and the liberals were not the racists....even though history doesnt bare that out.

Christians were out of politics from the 10s to the 70s....and yeah the republican party incorporated them......but there were plenty of northern conservatives in the party......which is why I asked him when was the last time the democratic party had the more conservative candidate....and of course he dodged the question.

And now we see the result as the once GOP is now just a bunch of racist bible thumping crackers as its base, used a abused by big money!:eusa_whistle:

As for Lee Atwater.....I dont know where he came up with that.....because tax cuts does not equal ******....and I have no problem saying ******....two totally different things....same with forced bussing.....Boston had riots on it....I guess everyone in Boston is a racist....NOOOOOOO

At the end of his life Atwater apologized for running racist motivated campaigns.

So now continue with your southern cracker revisionist history.:eusa_whistle:

well all be damned

You are correct.

1. It was the shock of the Great Depression that altered the relationship between the people and their government. Fear lead to the dramatic change in national attitude regarding the role of government in manipulating the free market, and private businesses, aimed at bailing families out of trouble. Americans grew more willing to pay the variety of taxes demanded in exchange for federal protection, and some perception of security from the "dark side" of capitalism. No longer was community and commerce viewed as protector of financial security.

a. In the blink of an eye, 150 years of independence was abandoned for many, many Americans. Instead, they looked to the centralized federal government for employment guarantees, charity programs, and safety nets.
Star Parker, "Uncle Sam's Plantation"

2. "Oh, yeah, that was something! He broke the tradition. My father told me: 'Republicans are the ship. All else is the sea.' Frederick Douglass said that. Negroes didn't go for Roosevelt much in '32. But the Works Progress Administration came along and Roosevelt came to be a god. It was really great. You worked, you got a paycheck, and you had some dignity. Even when a man raked leaves, he got paid, he had some dignity. All the songs they used to have about the WPA:

I went to the poll line and I voted
And I knew I voted the right way
So I'm asking you, Mr. President
Don't take away this W and P A "
From "Hard Times: An Oral History of the Great Depression," Studs Terkel.

a. In 1932, more than two-thirds of African-Americans voted against Roosevelt. When the election of 1936 took place, 75% voted for him.

At the end of his life Atwater apologized for running racist motivated campaigns.

The guy was a phoney...what do you want me to say....LOL but racist campaigns, thank your for completely backing my version of the liberal theory......which is liberals say it was about race and not about christianity

well all be damned

You are correct.

1. It was the shock of the Great Depression that altered the relationship between the people and their government. Fear lead to the dramatic change in national attitude regarding the role of government in manipulating the free market, and private businesses, aimed at bailing families out of trouble. Americans grew more willing to pay the variety of taxes demanded in exchange for federal protection, and some perception of security from the "dark side" of capitalism. No longer was community and commerce viewed as protector of financial security.

a. In the blink of an eye, 150 years of independence was abandoned for many, many Americans. Instead, they looked to the centralized federal government for employment guarantees, charity programs, and safety nets.
Star Parker, "Uncle Sam's Plantation"

2. "Oh, yeah, that was something! He broke the tradition. My father told me: 'Republicans are the ship. All else is the sea.' Frederick Douglass said that. Negroes didn't go for Roosevelt much in '32. But the Works Progress Administration came along and Roosevelt came to be a god. It was really great. You worked, you got a paycheck, and you had some dignity. Even when a man raked leaves, he got paid, he had some dignity. All the songs they used to have about the WPA:

I went to the poll line and I voted
And I knew I voted the right way
So I'm asking you, Mr. President
Don't take away this W and P A "
From "Hard Times: An Oral History of the Great Depression," Studs Terkel.

a. In 1932, more than two-thirds of African-Americans voted against Roosevelt. When the election of 1936 took place, 75% voted for him.[/QUOTE]

BINGO....They got hooked on that gubbmint money!!!!!!!! and still are to this day....so they were off the democrat plantations for 70 years maybe?

And now we see the result as the once GOP is now just a bunch of racist bible thumping crackers as its base, used a abused by big money!:eusa_whistle:

You are the reason I did this thread.....you cant counter any points...just use talking points.....nice job.....

Clayton I do think you have some good points....but the christian right is not the ones making republicans overspend....it's gasp....the liberal republicans that want to spend more....and christianity hasnt been an issue.....before they got in gays still couldnt marry........abortion was the tipping point though....they probably would have stayed on the sidelines had it not been for Roe V Wade and states were allowed to decide that issue.

As usual with you, a myth is as good as a mile.

1. The South kept voting for Democrats for decades after that 1964 act. And, btw, Democrats continued to win a plurality of votes in southern congressional elections for the next 30 years…right up to 1994.
"GOP Poised to Reap Redistricting Rewards" by Michael Barone on Creators.com - A Syndicate Of Talent

a. Between ’48 and ’88, Republicans never won a majority of the Dixiecrat states, outside of two 49-state landslides. Any loses in the South are directly attributable to their championing abortion, gays in the military, Christian-bashing, springing criminals, attacks on guns, dovish foreign policy, ‘save the whales/kill the humans environmentalism….certainly not race!

b. Rather than the Republicans winning the Dixiecrat vote, the Dixiecrats simply died out. By contrast, Democrats kept winning the alleged “segregationist” states into the ‘90’s. If states were voting for Goldwater out of racism, what of Carter’s 1976 sweep of all the Goldwater states?
"Mugged," Coulter

As usual with you, a myth is as good as a mile.

1. The South kept voting for Democrats for decades after that 1964 act. And, btw, Democrats continued to win a plurality of votes in southern congressional elections for the next 30 years…right up to 1994.
"GOP Poised to Reap Redistricting Rewards" by Michael Barone on Creators.com - A Syndicate Of Talent

a. Between ’48 and ’88, Republicans never won a majority of the Dixiecrat states, outside of two 49-state landslides. Any loses in the South are directly attributable to their championing abortion, gays in the military, Christian-bashing, springing criminals, attacks on guns, dovish foreign policy, ‘save the whales/kill the humans environmentalism….certainly not race!

b. Rather than the Republicans winning the Dixiecrat vote, the Dixiecrats simply died out. By contrast, Democrats kept winning the alleged “segregationist” states into the ‘90’s. If states were voting for Goldwater out of racism, what of Carter’s 1976 sweep of all the Goldwater states?
"Mugged," Coulter

yep and the video I posted shows only 1 of 21 democrat senators to oppose the act switched to a republican.....I love this kind of debate...the left wing scholars make shit up.....and the evidence of their bs is right in front of us.....

The south didnt go republican until the late 80s.......a generation after the "southern strategy" was supposed to have started....and few if any of those racists switched over......it was higher income people and northerners like my family that moved to the south in the early 90s.....that caused them to go republican....

1. The Democrat Party, porky, the party of slavery, segregation, secularism.

2. According to this liberal myth, Goldwater and the Republicans were racists and used racism to appeal to racist southerners to change the electoral map. To believe the tale, one must be either a reliable Democrat voter, and/or be ignorant of the history of the time

3. Goldwater was one of only six Republican senators to vote against the 1964 act. He did so on libertarian grounds, opposed to the act’s restrictions on private property which he believed beyond the Congress’s powers under the commerce clause. Five others supported the party’s presidential nominee.

a. Goldwater went on to win five southern states in 1964: Alabama, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, and South Carolina. But he lost eight.

b. Democrats build the ‘southern strategy’ tale on the fact that the same states voted for ‘Dixiecrat’ Strom Thurmond in 1948 (less Georgia).

c. Except that Nixon and Reagan lost, or almost lost the same states in ’68 and ’80…

d. And Jimmy Carter and Clinton did pretty well in those states in ’76 and ’92.

e. And the Goldwater states went right back to voting Democrat for decades…
"Mugged," Coulter

4. So…if Republicans were racists and got racist southerners to vote for them, how to explain this: Republicans always did best in the southern states that Goldwater lost, which happened to be the same ones Republicans had been winning with some regularity since 1928.

a. In ’28, ’52, ’56, and ’60, Republicans generally won Virginia, Florida, Texas, Kentucky and sometimes North Carolina or Louisiana. Did you notice that those years were before 1964?

b. Four years after Goldwater, the segregationist vote went right back to Democrats: Humphrey got half of Wallace’s supporters on election day. Nixon got none of ‘em. “When the '68 campaign began, Nixon was at 42 percent, Humphrey at 29 percent, Wallace at 22 percent. When it ended, Nixon and Humphrey were tied at 43 percent, with Wallace at 13 percent. The 9 percent of the national vote that had been peeled off from Wallace had gone to Humphrey.” The neocons & Nixon's southern strategy - Pat Buchanan - [page]

c. In ’76, Carter swept the South. Was Carter appealing to bigots….or is that only the case when Republicans win the South?

OK, porky....now say "Duh..."

Where is starkey and he will just say check out a book by Noam Chomsky.......he has no original thought on his own....he cant put any intellectual subject in his own words.......too bad.......maybe he'll drive by with a cute post........

Exclusive: Lee Atwater?s Infamous 1981 Interview on the Southern Strategy | The Nation

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=X_8E3ENrKrQ]Exclusive: Lee Atwater's Infamous 1981 Interview on the Southern Strategy - YouTube[/ame]

Forum List

Back