Sotomayor Judo Throws the Obama Regime on ACA Mandate

JimBowie1958

Old Fogey
Sep 25, 2011
Hmm, wonder if the Obama regime fascists ever thought that Sotomayor might actually have sympathy with other Catholic women?

Religion re-enters ObamaCare debate as Sotomayor delays contraceptive mandate | Fox News

Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor has put religion at the forefront of the ObamaCare debate by offering a reprieve to some Catholic groups who want to opt out of the Affordable Care Act's contraceptive mandate.

Sotomayor issued the order late Tuesday, one day before major parts of the health care law went into effect.

In her order, Sotomayor said the government is temporarily prevented from enforcing contraceptive coverage requirements against the Denver-based Little Sisters of the Poor Home for the Aged and must respond by 10 a.m. Friday.

The White House responded Wednesday, saying the group isn’t subject to the requirement because it doesn’t apply to self-funded church plans.

The White House said the Justice Department has already made clear the mandate doesn’t apply to such organizations and that it defers to the agency on litigation matters.

“But [we] remain confident that our final rules strike the balance of providing women with free contraceptive coverage while preventing non-profit religious employers with religious objections to contraceptive coverage from having to contract, arrange, pay, or refer for such coverage,” the White House said.

But Sotomayor's decision to delay the contraceptive portion of the law was joined by the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit, which also issued an emergency stay for Catholic-affiliated groups challenging the contraceptive provision, including the Archdiocese of Washington, D.C., and Catholic University.

If this is no big deal to the Obama regime fascists, then why do they KEEP FIGHTING IT?

lolol, you really cant make this stuff up.

I think that you're mischaracterizing what a Justice does, and their responsibility.

Questioning the professionalism because of the paradigm of right vs. left is wrong to do to the Justices unless they're caught grossly manipulating things based on ideology.

Their job is not to be sympathetic to a cause personal to them. It is to interpret the law.

I think that you're mischaracterizing what a Justice does, and their responsibility.

Questioning the professionalism because of the paradigm of right vs. left is wrong to do to the Justices unless they're caught grossly manipulating things based on ideology.

Their job is not to be sympathetic to a cause personal to them. It is to interpret the law.

I understand that, but the Obama regime clearly picked Sotomayor for her identity as an Hispanic woman and methinks they thought she would be a 'reliable' justice.

She seems to not be so predictable.

I understand that, but the Obama regime clearly picked Sotomayor for her identity as an Hispanic woman and methinks they thought she would be a 'reliable' justice.

Or, and I understand it's open to speculation, you could look back on her actual career and see that she's been a very reasonable and professional Justice.

And if you'd ever listened to her on the bench, you'd hear quite clearly that she doesn't let politics cloud judgment.

I had no idea a SC Justice had the power to do such a thing. I better brush up on my civics.

Hmm, wonder if the Obama regime fascists ever thought that Sotomayor might actually have sympathy with other Catholic women?

Religion re-enters ObamaCare debate as Sotomayor delays contraceptive mandate | Fox News

Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor has put religion at the forefront of the ObamaCare debate by offering a reprieve to some Catholic groups who want to opt out of the Affordable Care Act's contraceptive mandate.

Sotomayor issued the order late Tuesday, one day before major parts of the health care law went into effect.

In her order, Sotomayor said the government is temporarily prevented from enforcing contraceptive coverage requirements against the Denver-based Little Sisters of the Poor Home for the Aged and must respond by 10 a.m. Friday.

The White House responded Wednesday, saying the group isn’t subject to the requirement because it doesn’t apply to self-funded church plans.

The White House said the Justice Department has already made clear the mandate doesn’t apply to such organizations and that it defers to the agency on litigation matters.

“But [we] remain confident that our final rules strike the balance of providing women with free contraceptive coverage while preventing non-profit religious employers with religious objections to contraceptive coverage from having to contract, arrange, pay, or refer for such coverage,” the White House said.

But Sotomayor's decision to delay the contraceptive portion of the law was joined by the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit, which also issued an emergency stay for Catholic-affiliated groups challenging the contraceptive provision, including the Archdiocese of Washington, D.C., and Catholic University.

If this is no big deal to the Obama regime fascists, then why do they KEEP FIGHTING IT?

this is a temporary order the feds have until 10 am Friday to respond

Last edited:

Or, and I understand it's open to speculation, you could look back on her actual career and see that she's been a very reasonable and professional Justice.

And if you'd ever listened to her on the bench, you'd hear quite clearly that she doesn't let politics cloud judgment.

Yeah, but since we are talking about lawyers, how they sound isn't much of an indication of more than this is what they want you to think they mean, kind of thing, ya know?

For me this is still a pleasant surprise, for whatever reason.

Do you doubt that they will respond?

I think the paperwork is likely already in, lol.

... Questioning the professionalism because of the paradigm of right vs. left is wrong to do to the Justices unless they're caught grossly manipulating things based on ideology. ...

That's a pretty good way to characterize the current Court.

Sotomayor is now JimBowie's favorite squeeze.

Who ever thought that this law would not be massaged and adapted and reformed as necessary?

Good on for the Justice

And being Hispanic she's probably Catholic.

The far right reactionaries did not realize she is mainstream, so of course she acted correctly.

Is that why that when Roberts betrayed himself, his principles, and the law, and you loved it?

At which time the feds have to provide evidence that something that the judge already decided was a hardhip really isn't.

You can pretend that it is perfectly routine for a Justice to issue an emergency restraining order against the federal government on enforcing a regulation, but I bet you can't find a lot of examples of it.

Who ever thought that this law would not be massaged and adapted and reformed as necessary?

Good on for the Justice

Gee, I could have sworn that Jake the idiot thought that Obamacare was the law of the land, and that the will of "We the people" had triumphed over all the naysayers. Yet, suddenly, a progressive, pro government, justice sees a problem, and he says the law is open to revision.

Amazing.

Good on for the Justice

Gee, I could have sworn that Jake the idiot thought that Obamacare was the law of the land, and that the will of "We the people" had triumphed over all the naysayers. Yet, suddenly, a progressive, pro government, justice sees a problem, and he says the law is open to revision.

Amazing.

Sotomayer is an Obama appointee--who said that Obamacare was a tax not a MANDATE. We all know the entire bill is a MANDATE, now Sotomayer is trying to take pieces out to refer to them as a MANDATE. What a JOKE--:cuckoo:

QWB suggests that I do not believe in We the People congressional decisions and SCOTUS oversight.

Nope, that is the far right who believes their opinions should rule instead of the Rule of Law.

Good move by Sotomayor.

Good on for the Justice

Amazing.

Jake also believes Obama can "administer" the law any way he sees fit, ignoring certain provisions or simply not enforcing it as he deems necessary.

Jake believes that the President does not have to follow the law.

Forum List

Back